Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
And....

Armstrong made about $20,000,000 on the Uber IPO (using $100,000 he got from sponsors in the 90s).

It's true.
You really think he held onto that 100k for 15 years to invest in Uber?

...and I'll watch the interview Wednesday, should be interesting.

Last edited by Tony T; 05-25-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnighbor1 View Post
He got run thru on his own sword
My take is when he decided to be a part owner of the sports group that owned the team he didn't think thru what happens to the decisions he make on the team behalf.
When he dictated every pro racer on the team use drugs he was setting up a situation that only could get worst. I seen poor decisions in my field of architecture go from a poor decision to a very bad decision to a big mess.
He didn't think thru the implications which one was the sponsors of his team could sue the sport group. Which is what happened and of course he lost
Most use of drugs in sports are a individual decision. worst that can happen is he is thrown of the team Not worth suing one person
He didn't act in a vacuum - the UCI was at least complicit (or totally inept/both) in what transpired. LA chose a path that was cutthroat and had no alternative to protect the house of cards ... his own and the UCI's. The people seeking to illuminate the truth were in effect set out to destroy him, his accomplishments, and his livelihood. He was ruthless in defending all of those things. Doesn't make it right or absolve him of responsibility for his abhorrent actions, but as "The Don" of a compromised pro peloton/UCI it was important for him to "prove" his innocence. No doubt his primary concern was for his own hide, but I suspect he felt some responsibility to his fellow competitors who were also compromised.

The one "honorable thing" about Lance's behavior is that he never (to my knowledge) provided information to take down a fellow competitor. Even today. He spoke about the play-the-game-or-go-home environment of the peloton, but never speaks specifically about another rider's choices. Well maybe Mr. Landis is an exception.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitzmark View Post
The one "honorable thing" about Lance's behavior is that he never (to my knowledge) provided information to take down a fellow competitor. Even today. He spoke about the play-the-game-or-go-home environment of the peloton, but never speaks specifically about another rider's choices. Well maybe Mr. Landis is an exception.
There are several accounts of Lance “dropping a dime” to Hein about competitors he felt threatened by. “Not normal” was how they were described. Lance’s cozy relationship with the UCI was part of his power.

Once he was retired and under investigation, pretty much everyone he knew about had already been busted or had turned on him.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:32 PM

well, I suppose it all comes down to a moral question and how you see the world...lots of feelings on all sides via that minefield...my guess is his point is going thru all of that has made him face himself and grow as a person...I have no idea if that is true and to be honest could care less...if he has, more power to him...but given his past constant bs talk, sounds like just more self bs and convincing himself...that's his call, like with anyone else via self honesty...the guy was never the brightest bulb on the tree anyhow...real glad tho he made a ton on Uber as that really changes my day...

Last edited by cash05458; 05-26-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:55 PM

Interview is on now (NBCSN).
Old 05-30-2019, 04:28 AM

entire NBCSN interview

Can be viewed on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_x4ucbReo
Old 05-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
This does not even make sense.

I hate to break it to you, my dude, but Jan is also rich. He doesn't have a regular job. And it may totally shock you to learn this, but he doped.

The same people who hate on Lance for doping are the same people who fall all over themselves to praise Merckx and Cipollini and Hinault and Kelly and Coppi and Pantani and...
I've always been curious how Pantani gets a pass when all the rest are hated.

Don't forget to add Tom Simpson to the list. Guy DIED while doped to the gills.

M
Old 05-30-2019, 08:33 AM

I don't think Pantani had Lance's personality or tried to destroy people. But yes, he does seem to get a bit of a pass as far as doping is concerned.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:33 AM

Lance Who?

I long ago stopped having any interest in that person or anything he is associated with. While he may have historical relevance, he holds zero standing for me otherwise.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpod View Post
Lance Who?

I long ago stopped having any interest in that person or anything he is associated with. While he may have historical relevance, he holds zero standing for me otherwise.
Except for posting on cycling forums. Other than that you have zero interest in the guy.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Randomhead

It seems like it goes without saying that he wouldn't change anything. Although, if it were possible to change things, he probably shouldn't have tried to come back. In retrospect that was his undoing. But consider someone like A-Rod, who made a buttload of money while doping and really never paid a price. Does anyone imagine he has any regrets?
Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It seems like it goes without saying that he wouldn't change anything. Although, if it were possible to change things, he probably shouldn't have tried to come back. In retrospect that was his undoing. But consider someone like A-Rod, who made a buttload of money while doping and really never paid a price. Does anyone imagine he has any regrets?

I think you're right. I think Armstrong retired too early because things were closing in on him wrt doping. If he didn't come out of retirement, he probably would have passed under the radar. What about Bjarne Reese? He admitted to doping many years later and his TDF victory wasn't stripped. Seems to me Armstrong was made an example of and other dopers either skated by or were treated much more leniently.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Every other sport us dirtier than sin!!! Baseball, football, Olympic movement etc yet cycling is the only sport where it's a contentious issue. Young athletes across the US take drugs every day attempting to get an edge in mainstream sports yet cycling is the only story we hear about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Did Pantani try to destroy the careers of anyone who spoke out against those who used PEDs? Did Pantani supply PEDs to other others, or coerce other riders to use them?

There are some who would excuse riders who may have felt forced to use drugs, and instead blame the team owners managers who coerced riders into using PEDs, and I tend to agree with this. But people forget that Armstrong wasn't just a rider - he was also a team owner and manager, who coerced riders to use PEDs and in some cases supplied them to the riders.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

Don't forget to add Tom Simpson to the list. Guy DIED while doped to the gills.

M
Everyone loves Big Mig as well, but ...