Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2019, 01:16 AM

That's good to know, thank you for the info. Something tells me I'll be owning more than one mtb....

The 27.5+ tires are healthy size, they sure look like they offer extra traction (which was mentioned also during conversation).

I found a couple of shops that rent bikes, so I'll be doing that as well.

Def. yes on the dropper post. What a slick invention! I'm seriously dating myself when saying I used to use the big spring device when it first came out, the Hite rite, which I had on my Fisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Cool. I’d definitely recommend a plus size because it gives you the versatility of being able to run a 29x2.3 ish if you decide you want larger wheels.

Also dropper post for sure.

Not sure of your inseam but I ride the same size road bike as you and found a large to be quite comfortable.
I’m riding a hard tail though and it’s a 26+ ( with 27.5 wheels) so stand over is much lower than a 29

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-22-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:36 AM

You protest to much

Goodwill doesn't feed my dog etc, etc. It's a terrible way to market, unless you get roped into some kind of wacky seminar

You knew what you were doing, you just don't like getting called out on it. Go back and buy a bike...and shorts...and a lid if they earned your dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Please re-read. My buddy alone dropped mid 5 figures in new bikes from the store the past couple years. And other friends who've bought even more sent me there. I just moved to the area, didn't know where to go for good bike shop. Goodwill from friends happy with store sent me there, word of mouth creates new business, etc. Salesman knows who sent me, probably guesses there's business to be had maybe not right then, but eventually. And I was completely upfront about just being there to look at bikes and ask a few questions, to which he was happy to talk about bikes. He had passion for it.
And even more complimentary is he's a teenager who punched well above his weight. Not your typical teen cliche employee.

Oh and yes, I am an owner (indirectly) of a retail store and well aware of the cost of customer acquisition (and, conversely, losing that customer). And the challenges of hiring and mentoring teens eager for work experience and resume building.

Am done explaining. You either understand what I'm saying, or you don't. If your customer service is at the flippant (and I'm being as polite as possible on that) level displayed here by your responses, especially if you own a bike shop (?), well, good luck to you.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
You knew what you were doing, you just don't like getting called out on it. Go back and buy a bike...and shorts...and a lid if they earned your dollar
This.

Showrooming will mean fewer and fewer LBSes for when you really need one.

I've had people whip out their phones AS I'M TALKING TO THEM about whatever widget they need to know about and tell me 'Amazon has this for $X less...' Great. Did Amazon just explain to you the ins and outs of that particular widget? Nope. *I* did!

There comes a time when it really isn't about the lowest $ you can buy something for.

If you have to go get something explained to you, it's time to buy from the person explaining it to you.

M
Old 05-22-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
This.

Showrooming will mean fewer and fewer LBSes for when you really need one.

I've had people whip out their phones AS I'M TALKING TO THEM about whatever widget they need to know about and tell me 'Amazon has this for $X less...' Great. Did Amazon just explain to you the ins and outs of that particular widget? Nope. *I* did!

There comes a time when it really isn't about the lowest $ you can buy something for.

If you have to go get something explained to you, it's time to buy from the person explaining it to you.

M
There is bit more to real life decisions. Black x white moral digressions on internet forums don´t put food on the table or keep business alive.. just sayin. Judging anyone by half a dozen posts is not that wise.

Last edited by colker; 05-22-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 AM

Good grief. Some of you guys really are gems. Only on the internet does a question thread turn into the theatre of the absurd.

It must be awesome to be some of you and be right about everything. I guess the grand or so I just spent at an LBS for service-related work on a couple of my bikes doesn't meet the food-on-the-table standards of the self-proclaimed know-it-all's.

I certainly appreciate the advice and suggestions from those who have contributed here and via PM, thank you.

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-22-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 AM

agree on sizing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Cool. I’d definitely recommend a plus size because it gives you the versatility of being able to run a 29x2.3 ish if you decide you want larger wheels.

Also dropper post for sure.

Not sure of your inseam but I ride the same size road bike as you and found a large to be quite comfortable.
I’m riding a hard tail though and it’s a 26+ ( with 27.5 wheels) so stand over is much lower than a 29
I rode a 56cm road bike and now on modern FS bikes I ride large or even on some brands XL. I've rented a medium FS on travels and i feel much better on the larger bikes. I kept my last hardtail in case my son grows to enjoy mtb, but the TT is 23.5" effective. I've made it more modern with shorter stem, wider bars and 1x11 for him. I'd likely size up if buying that bike now.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 PM

A used mtb sucks

So did you scour craigslist and find the perfect aging whip with a clapped out fork? I'm dying over here. Bet that shop is banking on your sock purchase. You protest too much, so I know I'm right

Just buy a new, modern, trail bike. You'll have a hard time wiping the smile off your face. In 18 to 24 months, buy another one. Makes life easier

Just trying to help you out. At this rate you'll be in an electric wheel chair before you over analyze this. While we're young

Quote:
Good grief. Some of you guys really are gems. Only on the internet does a question thread turn into the theatre of the absurd.

It must be awesome to be some of you and be right about everything. I guess the grand or so I just spent at an LBS for service-related work on a couple of my bikes doesn't meet the food-on-the-table standards of the self-proclaimed know-it-all's.

I certainly appreciate the advice and suggestions from those who have contributed here and via PM, thank you.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 05-23-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 PM

When in doubt go with the larger size bike, you have it correct. Makes you more neutral and maximizes the geo. 5.10 and a medium for decades, large now

Wide bars and short stems fix it. Crazy but true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I rode a 56cm road bike and
now on modern FS bikes I ride large or even on some brands XL. I've rented a medium FS on travels and i feel much better on the larger bikes. I kept my last hardtail in case my son grows to enjoy mtb, but the TT is 23.5" effective. I've made it more modern with shorter stem, wider bars and 1x11 for him. I'd likely size up if buying that bike now.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
That's good to know, thank you for the info. Something tells me I'll be owning more than one mtb....

The 27.5+ tires are healthy size, they sure look like they offer extra traction (which was mentioned also during conversation).

I found a couple of shops that rent bikes, so I'll be doing that as well.

Def. yes on the dropper post. What a slick invention! I'm seriously dating myself when saying I used to use the big spring device when it first came out, the Hite rite, which I had on my Fisher.
Yes to multiple MTBs, yes to droppers, you won't go wrong following those two rules.

This is the thing about MTBs and picking the "one" bike ... if you are really into it and you want to ride multiple days a week for the love of it, and you're not a secret millionaire with nothing to do all day, then most rides will happen on your "local" trail ... the singletrack you can sneak to on your way to/from work, or before the fam gets up and going on Saturday AM, etc... so it really makes sense to focus on what you have right close by that's accessible. You have a ton of variety in SoCal, but also think of the trails you can do on a week day dealing with traffic ... which ones are most convenient to your house? And that's the bike you want. One weekend a month at Big Bear Lake sounds awesome, but that's only a dozen rides.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:18 AM

Are you for real?

I've no idea why or where outta left field you came into this thread chock full of insults, as I never said anything to you that would have prompted it.

This thread is asking for advice on mtb's. Many fine folks have offered up wisdom here and via email or PM.

Kindly go someplace else and cast your "wisdom" where it's wanted or appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Goodwill doesn't feed my dog etc, etc. It's a terrible way to market, unless you get roped into some kind of wacky seminar

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-25-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:22 AM

jim how tall are you? i'm 5'9", pretty much right in the middle of bell curve as to proportion.

is there a convention for setting up "reach" on an mtb similar to road bike?

honestly can't remember how i arrived at mtb sizes in the past, i'm sure it was advised by the lbs's where i bought them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I rode a 56cm road bike and now on modern FS bikes I ride large or even on some brands XL. I've rented a medium FS on travels and i feel much better on the larger bikes. I kept my last hardtail in case my son grows to enjoy mtb, but the TT is 23.5" effective. I've made it more modern with shorter stem, wider bars and 1x11 for him. I'd likely size up if buying that bike now.

Last edited by 54ny77; 05-25-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:10 PM

5’10

Quote:
jim how tall are you? i'm 5'9", pretty much right in the middle of bell curve as to proportion.

is there a convention for setting up "reach" on an mtb similar to road bike?

honestly can't remember how i arrived at mtb sizes in the past, i'm sure it was advised by the lbs's where i bought them.
No convention for me except I set my saddle height and setback really pretty similar to my road position, maybe 1 cm lower saddle ht. From there most modern bikes near me Ive tried in shops have the stubby 40-60 cm stem. That puts me feeling best on a large. I think my Indy fab hardtail and a 110 stem and I swapped a 60 or 70 ( it was 2-3 years ago). Anyway it makes a big difference. I am with u on buying used. I haven’t bought a new bike for myself (mtn) in decades. I use craigslist and pinkbike. Starting in 2006 I really got back into MTB and bought and sold 1-2 per year for a few years and so found what I like in terms of good climbing and stable descending— of course now there are so many more bikes that fit that bill. I’ve been content for the last 3 years.