Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 PM

25mm Conti 5000s are so nice and really, really fast. You heard it here third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrOHxS_cK0
Old 05-24-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Geez - That's the new 12 spd? Those shifters look like saddle horns (a la Shimatza). Where is the elegance? Where is the svelt? Say it ain't so, Joe!
They look and feel great in real life..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
25mm Conti 5000s are so nice and really, really fast. You heard it here third.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrOHxS_cK0
Maybe but no 5000s in tubular so I will never know.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
They look and feel great in real life..

So, you're saying that they're the ~same size as 11spd, or that they're bigger but you like them just fine?
Old 05-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
So, you're saying that they're the ~same size as 11spd, or that they're bigger but you like them just fine?
The shape is a bit different - and I really like it.. The levers feel better at the finger tips and when braking, the size and shape of the thumb paddle is improved, and the material feel of the hoods is better by far, especially in bare hands.

I'm usually grouchy about change - still prefer rim brakes and mechanical - but this new group is really hard to fault. Now if only they'd offer a 13/34 cassette...
Old 05-24-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Geez - That's the new 12 spd? Those shifters look like saddle horns (a la Shimatza). Where is the elegance? Where is the svelt? Say it ain't so, Joe!
Because it is the disc brake version. The mechanical versions are not bulbous.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
No such thing as a free lunch..ya want 'wet' discs, ya get a reservoir..

Better than these 'things'....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sl188b00blk--r----post.jpg (11.5 KB, 354 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 10:36 PM

Been riding loaner 12sp SR mechanical for 3-1/2 months and SR eps for 3 weeks along with my 9150 di2 setup. All my setups are with rim brakes, so no funky shifters/hoods for me !

I thought all along I’d end up going with eps and as such planned my new frame around electric only.

However, SR 12 mechanical is so good I’ve changed to dual mechanical/electric compat. Mechanical has faster shifts, especially in the front mech and the more tactile sensation when shifting just can’t be replicated with electric setups.

Also, contrary to what I wrote mid last year it looks great on the bike. I just wish they’d opted for a 3k finish rather than UD.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero View Post
Been riding loaner 12sp SR mechanical for 3-1/2 months and SR eps for 3 weeks along with my 9150 di2 setup. All my setups are with rim brakes, so no funky shifters/hoods for me !

I thought all along I’d end up going with eps and as such planned my new frame around electric only.

However, SR 12 mechanical is so good I’ve changed to dual mechanical/electric compat. Mechanical has faster shifts, especially in the front mech and the more tactile sensation when shifting just can’t be replicated with electric setups.

Also, contrary to what I wrote mid last year it looks great on the bike. I just wish they’d opted for a 3k finish rather than UD.
copy to sram.....
Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM

I played around a bit more with my Record 12 brakes, here are some photos for ya. I tried to keep the photos and camera angles close to the same and I used the same brake shoes and pads on all of the below photos.

Once again all of the below photos are on my Seven 622 SLX, all with the same brake shoes and pads. All are held fully closed against the same Zipp 303 FC wheel with a Veloflex Vlaanderen 27 tubular tire at 80 PSI.

1st photo is Record 11, (I could not fit a 2mm allen in, so maybe there is 1.5mm space)
2nd photo is Record 12 with the adjustment screw fully in (this is touching the tire)
3nd photo is Record 12 with the adjustment screw fully out (I did fit a 4mm allen in)

Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Also below are some photos from my Pina Dogma F8 with its low brake bridge and with Zipp 303 FC wheel with a Veloflex Vlaanderen 27 tubular tire at 80 PSI .....

1st photo is Record 11
2nd photo is Record 12 with the adjustment screw fully out

Old 06-18-2019, 04:42 PM

Anyone seen Chorus 12 offered for sale yet? I've been riding a 4 mile climb that's exceptionally steep and made it through with my 34/32, but a 32/32 or 32/34 would make it easier. After 11 months back on the bike, I continue to gain some strength, a little at a time. I've made it up some of the shorter climbs that always required my 34/32, using my 34/28, just recently. I was surprised, since I'd seen no improvement in a long time.

I've still got 7 pounds to lose to make 134.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 PM

You say that the calipers are pressed against the rim, but in the photo the arms aren't closed very far and a large portion of the pads are visible. This implies that the rims are quite wide. Narrower rims would allow the arms to close more, and therefore the cable arm to rise higher (giving more tire room space).

I suppose switching the narrow rims is not an option, but is it possible to remove a spacer/washer on the brake shoes, or find brake shoes/pads that are thinner, so the caliper arms close more?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Anyone seen Chorus 12 offered for sale yet? I've been riding a 4 mile climb that's exceptionally steep and made it through with my 34/32, but a 32/32 or 32/34 would make it easier. After 11 months back on the bike, I continue to gain some strength, a little at a time. I've made it up some of the shorter climbs that always required my 34/32, using my 34/28, just recently. I was surprised, since I'd seen no improvement in a long time.

Been wondering the same thing.. I'm ready to buy as soon as it becomes available!

Old 06-18-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I got my Record group from Pinkjersey.com. Looks like they have Chorus. Super nice guy and excellent pricing.

https://www.pinkjersey.com/product/c...upset-8-piece/