Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 AM

Kettlebells

We discussed this briefly a couple of years ago, but I wanted to see if there are any other kettlebell users on the forum at this point.

I've used them on and off for several years now. After a layoff, I just picked them up and started again in the last couple of weeks (late winter is when I finally start really FEELING out of shape and start to motivate to do something about it). Starting off with a relatively easy and rudimentary workout, just doing some basic one and two-handed swings, I got so sore I could barely move two days later. You know how you can almost feel sick when you have enough muscle soreness a couple of days after a really hard workout? That was me - like the flu without a fever. I recovered and have now worked back to a level where its not a painful proposition.

Anyway, the thing that amazes me about these workouts is WHERE I feel sore afterwards. It seems like all of the places you want to be strong for cycling. The quads, the glutes, the hams, and every part of the core you could imagine, front to back, top to bottom. When I used to do traditional weight lifting, I could always feel the specific muscles I worked in particular exercises, but not such a universal soreness from essentially one exercise. Again, this is sticking to the most basic kettlebell moves. You can do all sorts of upper body stuff with them too, but I tend not to do much of that.

I was first turned onto these things by another cyclist who swore by them. He got so into them that I think he all but gave up cycling and became a kettlebell instructor. I'm in no danger of that happening, but I do like 'em. Lots more fun than typical weights too, for me anyway.

Anyone else had any experience with 'em?

-Ray
Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 AM
don'TreadOnMe

Ray,

Can you point out a worthwhile intro to them?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 AM

I hesitate because the marketing is pretty overwhelming and potentially puke-inducing. But here's one of the main sites that has a FAQ that might be of use. The guy calls everyone COMRADE and insists that working with kettlebells will make you a Russian fighter. Hasn't happened to me. Yet, anyway
You could probably do a search and find something a little less silly.

http://www.dragondoor.com/kettlebell...dXESADA#whatis

Or, being local, if you want to stop by some day, you can check 'em out directly.

-Ray
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM
don'TreadOnMe

'Preciate it, COMRADE!

;-)
Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Two of my students are personal trainers who use kettle bells extensively and have turned me onto them. They are a great training tool….comrades.

I can’t remember the guys name, but I have a KB training video where the guy does a neck bridge on the floor, and then does presses with the KB’s. Sick!.

William
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 AM

Comrade, I move this thread be deleted. You are giving away my secrets!!!

I love kb's. You can take them outside on a pretty day and swing away. I was just thinking of knocking out another round (4 weeks) of heavy weights then going to a steady diet of kb's for the rest of the season.

Pavel, the evil russian, started the kb craze. I've done some of his other strength training stuff. Though it defies conventional wisom to some degree, it works for me.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 AM

DragonDoor and Pavel Tsatsouline are indeed overwhelming and sadly this makes getting good info difficult. YouTube has some videos where you can learn more about the basic exercises than from Pavel's website. Paying a bunch of money for Pavel's book, Enter the Kettlebell and buying his kettlebells at extreme prices is just too outrageous. Go to your local bookstore and get a sample reading for free before making a decision to purchase.

I bought my kettlebells at a Play It Again Sports outlet where I saved a lot of money compared to the evil russian. You don't want to pay for shipping on these things!

Kettlebell swings, cleans and snatches are great. Expect some bruises with the cleans and snatches until you get the hang of it.

Another great alternative or supplemental weight lifting regimen is power type training as outlined by author Robert dos Remedios in Power Training, published by Men's Health (Rodale).
Old 03-13-2008, 09:40 AM

There is something cult-like about the fervor with which Comrade Pavel's followers preach the kettlebell gospel.

There's nothing magical about kettlebells. They are just a tool, like dumbbells or barbells. But they are much more expensive, and their weight is fixed, not adjustable in small increments. And while almost all gyms have free weights of some kind, almost none have kettlebells, so you're limited to buying expensive equipment yourself and working out at home.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red
There is something cult-like about the fervor with which Comrade Pavel's followers preach the kettlebell gospel.

There's nothing magical about kettlebells. They are just a tool, like dumbbells or barbells. But they are much more expensive, and their weight is fixed, not adjustable in small increments. And while almost all gyms have free weights of some kind, almost none have kettlebells, so you're limited to buying expensive equipment yourself and working out at home.
Agree, some can get cult-like. Almost like Serotta owners

And Pavel's marketing is about as obnoxious as anything out there. Fortunately, other parties are starting to make and sell them so you don't need to subject yourself to him if you don't want to.

And no, they're not magic. But they're very well suited to a handfull of exercises that I find give me a more effective all-body workout than I ever got with conventional weights. They may or may not be better than dumbells or barbells, depending on what type of workout you want. For certain goals, they probably don't work as well, but for my goals, they're better than conventional weights.

They actually sell adjustable ones now, with "slices" that can either consist of heavy metal or very light plastic, so you can buy one or two of those and increase the weight as you get stronger, so they are now adjustable in small increments if you want to go that way. I've bought a total of three kettlebells over the years and I doubt I'll ever want anything heavier than what I have now, so I've made all the investment I'm likely to need to. Even at the inflated prices I paid, I've spent less than I'd pay for a good pair of new brifters, so its not that much in perspective. Seems like there are more sources for them now, so the prices are coming down. Better if you can find 'em locally, though, because shipping those weights can cost more than the kettlebell itself.

For people who have a very specific weight-training regimen and goals, they're probably not ideal. But for cyclists and other people who just want to stay strong where it matters and stay in shape in the off-season, they might just be ideal. That's my experience anyway.

-Ray
Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 AM
aka Terry Keele

here guys. this is the holly grail of off bike training. nothing more efficient than this. And, yes there's lot's of kettlebell workouts.

www.crossfit.com
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coylifut
here guys. this is the holly grail of off bike training. nothing more efficient than this. And, yes there's lot's of kettlebell workouts.

www.crossfit.com
Do you follow their program?

It seems to emphasize endurance (e.g., Run 800 meters, 50 Back Extensions, 50 Sit-ups) over progressive gains in strength. And it looks like a "one size fits all" program, which I strongly disagree with. We should listen to our bodies, not to some arbitrary and impersonal daily workout.

And using different exercises every single workout is a bad idea, because your body isn't given time to adapt. A repeated and progressive stimulus will be far more beneficial.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM

Thumbs up KB user over here - first intoduced to them in Iraq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red

Another KB user. You see a liability, I see an asset.
expensive equipment? I paid 35 Euro for my 36# and 50 Euro for 53#.
at home? I don't need a spotter and prefer the "total body workout" at home, particularly with Turkish Get-ups and Halos.

I laugh at Pavel's "comrade" and "manly" talk. Everybody has a "schtick."

He!!s Be!!s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HellsBells.jpg (41.6 KB, 569 views)
Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 AM

Enlightening & amusing

Ray;

Thanks for this thread - I was quite ignorant of kettlebells, and had assumed they were functionally the same as regular freeweights. You've opened my mind to giving these a try as an alternative to my usual strength training with freeweights.

And certainly, that link was quite amusing! Legitimate advantages of kettlebells notwithstanding, I found the over-the-top hype pretty funny
Old 03-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoting Pavel:
Kettlebells forge doers' physiques along the lines of antique statues: broad shoulders with just a hint of pecs, back muscles standing out in bold relief, wiry arms, rugged forearms, a cut-up midsection, and strong legs without a hint of squatter's chafing.

Having met Ray at the Ramble, I can attest that he did indeed strike me as having the physique of an antique statue. One question: can women do these things? What size/weight of bell is recommended?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53
Quoting Pavel:
Kettlebells forge doers' physiques along the lines of antique statues: broad shoulders with just a hint of pecs, back muscles standing out in bold relief, wiry arms, rugged forearms, a cut-up midsection, and strong legs without a hint of squatter's chafing.
Kettlebells melt fat without the dishonor of dieting or aerobics. If you are overweight, you will lean out. If you are skinny, you will get built up. According to Voropayev (1997) who studied top Russian gireviks, 21.2% increased their bodyweight since taking up kettlebelling and 21.2% (the exact same percentage, not a typo), mostly heavyweights, decreased it. The Russian kettlebell is a powerful tool for fixing your body comp, whichever way it needs fixing.

Kettlebells are magical!