Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 04:01 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
... in our BlendTec that is soooo much better ...
We will need to start a separate Vitamix vs BlendTec thread!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
I you like ginger in your smoothies, check out Dorot Frozen Ginger

This stuff is uber convenient for cooking or whatever. Shredding fresh ginger is a drag....

The company also makes frozen garlic, cilantro and basil....I like keeping a couple trays of each in the freezer for when I don't have fresh.

Cheers.
Thanks/great - I never knew of this product - bottom of their website has a where to find link. Entered my zip code - sold at my local Trader Joe's, Wegman's and Walmart.
FYI - to peel fresh ginger root - use a spoon to scrape off the outer skin.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:03 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

No juicer here, but I do use a hand (aka "stick") blender to make post-workout smoothies.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
No juicer here, but I do use a hand (aka "stick") blender to make post-workout smoothies.
Stick blenders rock. And they're much easier to clean.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:46 PM

An Omega juicer was one of my stimulus money purchases.

I've used it to make green and beet juices,. I have also made lots of nut butters, which I now prefer to buying peanut or almond butter. I have also made banana 'ice cream.'

All of the parts of my Omega are dishwasher safe, and I'd say that is a must-have feature for me.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:33 PM

Carrot- Beet- Celery- Apple- and a bit ginger.

I don't currently have one but that's a favorite of mine. Old apples.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:20 AM

Vita mixer here. Drink my green juice every morning. Only started a month ago, but now feel bad if I go without it. Haven’t really dabbled in smoothies yet, though.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumablk View Post
Vita mixer here. Drink my green juice every morning. Only started a month ago, but now feel bad if I go without it. Haven’t really dabbled in smoothies yet, though.
What is your recipe to make a 'green' juice in the vitamix?
Old 05-06-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I’m a longtime home juicer and a smoothie guy. I think it’s a healthy alternative, especially when compared to soda or exotic coffee drinks.

I don’t think it’s the thing to do as an end in itself. You've gotta like the taste. I got into it at home because most of the places here in NYC don’t use organics. Then there’s the high cost.

I don’t juice alot of fruits ( smoothie up those suckers) and don’t get too crazy with my juices. I primarily do carrots, celery, apple and whatever greens that look end-of-life in the fridge, usually kale. I eat alot of those things already, so it’s not a stretch to have in the fridge.

My go to mix is mostly carrot juice, cut with celery, and small amounts of apple/greens/ginger. I do like mixing in some parsley.

Here’s what works for me for convenience and cost.
  • I use a Breville Juicer. Don’t waste your time with one that doesn’t have an external catch for the pulp. Mine doesn’t, and it sucks for the way I use it.

• Both BJ’s and Costco near me sell 5 /10 lb bags of Organic Carrots and Apples at a reasonable price. Occasionally organic Celery as well.

• I batch every few days, and make about 3 pints which i store in mason jars. Add a little squeeze of lemon juice for preservation. I then use a Handheld Food Saver Mason Jar Vacuum sealer on the jars and store them in the fridge. That little device is killer.
All in about 25 minutes including cleanup. Saving alot of $$$ over the juice places, but using organics is the primary driver for me.

Hope this helps.

This is the sort of thing I am interested in, and I was in fact wondering about how much you could make at once and store it, and not worry about it degrading.
You mention a Breville, did you ever consider one of the masticating juicers? Wondering if they would make the juice last a little longer, less heating / breakdown, if thats even a real thing...
I'll check out the vacuum seal thing you mention.

Cheers
Old 05-06-2021, 09:05 AM

If you have a vitamix I don’t know why a juicer is needed. I have one and just toss pretty much anything in it and it will eventually become a juice if you mix it right.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:32 AM

I love juicing its just that it gets really expensive around here.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I’m a longtime home juicer and a smoothie guy. I think it’s a healthy alternative, especially when compared to soda or exotic coffee drinks.

I don’t think it’s the thing to do as an end in itself. You've gotta like the taste. I got into it at home because most of the places here in NYC don’t use organics. Then there’s the high cost.

I don’t juice alot of fruits ( smoothie up those suckers) and don’t get too crazy with my juices. I primarily do carrots, celery, apple and whatever greens that look end-of-life in the fridge, usually kale. I eat alot of those things already, so it’s not a stretch to have in the fridge.

My go to mix is mostly carrot juice, cut with celery, and small amounts of apple/greens/ginger. I do like mixing in some parsley.

Here’s what works for me for convenience and cost.
  • I use a Breville Juicer. Don’t waste your time with one that doesn’t have an external catch for the pulp. Mine doesn’t, and it sucks for the way I use it.

• Both BJ’s and Costco near me sell 5 /10 lb bags of Organic Carrots and Apples at a reasonable price. Occasionally organic Celery as well.

• I batch every few days, and make about 3 pints which i store in mason jars. Add a little squeeze of lemon juice for preservation. I then use a Handheld Food Saver Mason Jar Vacuum sealer on the jars and store them in the fridge. That little device is killer.
All in about 25 minutes including cleanup. Saving alot of $$$ over the juice places, but using organics is the primary driver for me.

Hope this helps.
I do the same thing. Carrot Granny Smith apple base, ginger is a must as well as lemon or lime to the finished product. 1/2 hour start to finish. I'll throw a pint in the vita mix with some blue or strawberries. I made 5 pints a week and vacuum seal the jars, the last tastes almost as good as fresh.
I have a green star elite that will bo both hard and soft fruits and veggies. Great product IMHO.

Last edited by skiezo; 05-06-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
This is the sort of thing I am interested in, and I was in fact wondering about how much you could make at once and store it, and not worry about it degrading.
You mention a Breville, did you ever consider one of the masticating juicers? Wondering if they would make the juice last a little longer, less heating / breakdown, if thats even a real thing...
I'll check out the vacuum seal thing you mention.

Cheers
I bought the least expensive Breville “to get started”... I think it was around 100 bucks. Figured I’d upgrade when the time came to a $3-400 masticating juicer if the do it at home thing worked out.

I’ve done the reading on the pros/cons of the heating thing and I’m not so sure it’s a factor. Here’s more info with science involved.

For my use, the Breville is fine. I’ll upgrade to one with external pulp ejection when this one dies.... I’m on year seven.

I do like wheat grass juice, so that may be a reason to go for a masticating one but I haven’t quite gotten to the point of growing my own. Organic flats Of wheat grass are hard to find.

Like the other post above says, taste wise you can’t tell the difference if you do the vacuum thing. Not a chemist, so can’t vouch for the nutrient value loss. It’s got to beat commercial stuff hands down regardless.

Not sure if you do Facebook neighborhood groups or Marketplace, (I don’t) but my GF says it’s littered with “One and done” expensive juicers and blenders.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 AM

I have an Omega, which I use to blend kale, apples, ginger and celery. I also add, using a citrus juicer, oranges and lemons. The process, including the cleaning takes quite a bit of time, but I bought 12oz plastic containers that allow me to freeze what I make. Usually I juice about a weeks worth of juice.