Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 12:48 PM

OT - Anyone Juicing??

As in, veggie juice, using something like a masticating juicer?
What are current thoughts on this, really healthy, or natural sugar overload?
Old 05-05-2021, 12:52 PM
I need you cool.

Ditched the juicer years ago....too messy.

Got a Vitamix and never looked back....I get my veggies at meals.

Get an immersion blender if you are making squash, cauliflower etc, soups. Works well for refried beans too!
Old 05-05-2021, 12:53 PM

Thanks, we do have a vitamix and use it with almond milk and frozen fruit for smoothies.
Was thinking of doing veggie juicing to get more nutrition into me. I agree that eating the veggies would be better, but just knowing myself, I won't eat that many veggies...
Old 05-05-2021, 01:01 PM

Got a Breville juicer and then when I did that math between how much overpriced fruit it needed and how much of a mess it was and a pain to clean, I realized at home juicing makes no sense. It can't even do citrus fruits. Also it's a huge waste of space.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Got a Breville juicer and then when I did that math between how much overpriced fruit it needed and how much of a mess it was and a pain to clean, I realized at home juicing makes no sense. It can't even do citrus fruits. Also it's a huge waste of space.
lol. my thoughts exactly
Old 05-05-2021, 01:03 PM

Dang......thought we were going to have another juicy thread on doping.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Nothing wrong with throwing a little Winny-V into the juice......
Old 05-05-2021, 01:32 PM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
just here to see if anyone was gonna post up a vetted source o stanozolol

---

on juicing.... nah. wife got into juicing, then vitamixing smoothies, and tried to get me into it.. but were divorced now, and i hated her goddamn green funk smoothies anyway
Old 05-05-2021, 01:48 PM

I’m a longtime home juicer and a smoothie guy. I think it’s a healthy alternative, especially when compared to soda or exotic coffee drinks.

I don’t think it’s the thing to do as an end in itself. You've gotta like the taste. I got into it at home because most of the places here in NYC don’t use organics. Then there’s the high cost.

I don’t juice alot of fruits ( smoothie up those suckers) and don’t get too crazy with my juices. I primarily do carrots, celery, apple and whatever greens that look end-of-life in the fridge, usually kale. I eat alot of those things already, so it’s not a stretch to have in the fridge.

My go to mix is mostly carrot juice, cut with celery, and small amounts of apple/greens/ginger. I do like mixing in some parsley.

Here’s what works for me for convenience and cost.
  • I use a Breville Juicer. Don’t waste your time with one that doesn’t have an external catch for the pulp. Mine doesn’t, and it sucks for the way I use it.

• Both BJ’s and Costco near me sell 5 /10 lb bags of Organic Carrots and Apples at a reasonable price. Occasionally organic Celery as well.

• I batch every few days, and make about 3 pints which i store in mason jars. Add a little squeeze of lemon juice for preservation. I then use a Handheld Food Saver Mason Jar Vacuum sealer on the jars and store them in the fridge. That little device is killer.
All in about 25 minutes including cleanup. Saving alot of $$$ over the juice places, but using organics is the primary driver for me.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:58 PM

I eat apples, cherries, raisins, etc. I use the Vitamix to make mayonnaise. (O, the horror!)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
I eat apples, cherries, raisins, etc. I use the Vitamix to make mayonnaise. (O, the horror!)
+1

Juicing removes all the fiber and just concentrates the natural sugars. I typically throw whole fruit in the vitamix for a smoothie rather than juice it out.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
I’m a longtime home juicer and a smoothie guy. I think it’s a healthy alternative, especially when compared to soda or exotic coffee drinks.

I don’t think it’s the thing to do as an end in itself. You've gotta like the taste. I got into it at home because most of the places here in NYC don’t use organics. Then there’s the high cost.

I don’t juice alot of fruits ( smoothie up those suckers) and don’t get too crazy with my juices. I primarily do carrots, celery, apple and whatever greens that look end-of-life in the fridge, usually kale. I eat alot of those things already, so it’s not a stretch to have in the fridge.

My go to mix is mostly carrot juice, cut with celery, and small amounts of apple/greens/ginger. I do like mixing in some parsley.

Here’s what works for me for convenience and cost.
  • I use a Breville Juicer. Don’t waste your time with one that doesn’t have an external catch for the pulp. Mine doesn’t, and it sucks for the way I use it.

• Both BJ’s and Costco near me sell 5 /10 lb bags of Organic Carrots and Apples at a reasonable price. Occasionally organic Celery as well.

• I batch every few days, and make about 3 pints which i store in mason jars. Add a little squeeze of lemon juice for preservation. I then use a Handheld Food Saver Mason Jar Vacuum sealer on the jars and store them in the fridge. That little device is killer.
All in about 25 minutes including cleanup. Saving alot of $$$ over the juice places, but using organics is the primary driver for me.

Hope this helps.
+1
I usually throw in some ginger too
Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
+1

Juicing removes all the fiber and just concentrates the natural sugars. I typically throw whole fruit in the vitamix for a smoothie rather than juice it out.
Ex wife had a juicer and loved it. She'd drink the sugary, fiber-less juice. I'd eat the 'poop' that came out the hole. I think it was tastier and better for me.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:15 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
+1
I usually throw in some ginger too
I you like ginger in your smoothies, check out Dorot Frozen Ginger

This stuff is uber convenient for cooking or whatever. Shredding fresh ginger is a drag....

The company also makes frozen garlic, cilantro and basil....I like keeping a couple trays of each in the freezer for when I don't have fresh.

Cheers.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:57 PM

So....

Two posts on exes and juicing in the thread.

I also first thought it would be a doping discussion.

Like the idea of adding ginger. I enjoy dicing fresh ginger

I'm a green smoothie guy in our BlendTec that is soooo much better for that than the 40-year old Oster we got as a wedding present (yes, it lasted that long and was still functional). And FWIW, my wife hates them but we will celebrate our 40th next month

Last edited by teleguy57; 05-05-2021 at 03:59 PM.