Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I think I'll stick with my CamelBak Podium's.
Me too, I love 'em.

I like to put ice in my bottles and I'd think the rattling in a metal one would be pretty annoying.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:08 AM

Now, if it was made with titanium and priced at 4x the price then sign me up

Ha, but even then, only if it's 6-4, none of that mamby pampy 3-2.5 for this guy!
Old 05-06-2021, 11:29 AM
Ari W

Ugh, really?

Podium Ice for me, they last a long time, even when cleaned in the dishwasher fairly regularly. I don't get this...

FWIW, i have a few RTIC stainless jugs, and they are great to leave in the car for after a ride, or on the boat. Fill halfway with ice and they are cold all day.

-Ari
Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 PM

I think I'm missing the benefit. It's far more expensive, rattles, will get ugly scuffed quickly, and heavier.

Cycling tips says:

"Conventional water bottles work the way they do because you’re changing the volume of the container; as you squeeze it, water is forcibly ejected. However, at the end of that squeeze, and when the walls of the bottle spring back to their original shape (and volume), air has to be sucked in to replace the liquid that was there before. As such, while you might have been able to get a refreshing flood of fluid initially, you have to wait a moment before you can repeat the cycle.

Instead, Bivo...doesn’t rely on you squeezing on the thing, the impressively smooth and generous flow continues unimpeded until the thing is empty."

OK, I get it. So long as I am physically capable of drinking without swallowing, I can just pour a whole bottle down my throat in one go. I don't think I'm the target market.

Besides, sometimes squeezing the bottle for a jet of water is helpful: a bit of water to wash hands, douse my head on a hot day, clean sunglasses, aim at a dog, etc.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
I think I'm missing the benefit. It's far more expensive, rattles, will get ugly scuffed quickly, and heavier.

Cycling tips says:

Instead, Bivo...doesn’t rely on you squeezing on the thing, the impressively smooth and generous flow continues unimpeded until the thing is empty."

OK, I get it. So long as I am physically capable of drinking without swallowing, I can just pour a whole bottle down my throat in one go. I don't think I'm the target market.

Besides, sometimes squeezing the bottle for a jet of water is helpful: a bit of water to wash hands, douse my head on a hot day, clean sunglasses, aim at a dog, etc.
Elaine is the target market

https://youtu.be/4pdk2RvqLAg
Old 05-06-2021, 07:58 PM

Lid: FDA-grade and BPA free polypropylene (plastic #5)
Flow straw, nozzle, o-rings, and tactile exterior coating: Food-grade silicone
And you can’t squeeze it...I think it might help to have a “carb” hole to control the flow, but it’s not replacing any of my bottles so good luck!
Old 05-07-2021, 08:18 AM
Proud Grandpa

BACK to the future!!
I have one..really keen..never used it tho.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAMPAGNOLO_VINTAGE_ALUMINUM_BOTTLE_2.jpg (11.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 03-12-2022, 09:53 AM

1 year on -- anyone have one of these and have positive feedback? I've been thinking about switching from plastic bottles but can't tell if these are a hipster gimmick or not. Expensive, yes. I see they have a 25oz option finally.

I bought one of those Velo Canteens this fall for commuting, and while also expensive and a hipster gimmicky website, however it's far exceeded my expectations.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:59 AM

Hardly a sustainable option tbh. The amount mire resources it takes to make one of these means you’d have to keep it for a decade, maybe two, to offset plastic bottles. If you wanna be environmentally friendly — which you should — get a biodegradable option like elite’s or cascade’s.
Old 03-12-2022, 10:14 AM

So, I saw a story about Bivo moving their operation to Richmond VT, which is around the corner from me. In a fit of partisan loyalty and need for some above average Xmas gifts (better than high end soap) I bought some. I kept one.

They are nicely made. The invert-and-drink system seems to work fine. They ship little brushes with the bottle, so you can keep things clean. They have recently expanded their color range. It isn't heavy and water tastes like water, remarkably . I like them. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in the real riding season around here, coming soon, I hope, after this weekend's little blizzard.
Old 03-12-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Hardly a sustainable option tbh. The amount mire resources it takes to make one of these means you’d have to keep it for a decade, maybe two, to offset plastic bottles. If you wanna be environmentally friendly — which you should — get a biodegradable option like elite’s or cascade’s.
More interested in purchasing on a personal level to not drink out of plastics anymore.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:55 AM

Any more feedback?

Agree w last poster on prefer not to use plastic bottles due to leaching etc. Dr Mirkin suggests not using plastic and he say he uses metal bike bottles.

https://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/s...r-bottles.html

Alan
Old 09-09-2022, 08:06 PM

I have 2. A large snd a small. They work as advertised. My only dislike is that they are very loud when you hit bumps.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:11 PM
Administrator

I have one. Had to try it. It works OK, a little different feeling than a plastic bottle for sure. Hard to get the last 1/2" of fluid out of it though.

I do like the idea of non plastic bottles, especially in the summer. There is always some plastic taste in the water if they sit in the sun for hours, stainless keeps the taste pure. I may pick up a set of the larger ones for next season and see how i get along with them.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:20 PM

Do the non insulated bottles keep drinks cold longer than a regular plastic bottle?