Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2021, 04:00 PM
commuter racer

looking for a sturdy commuting wheel recommendation with a noisy freehub

Asking for a friend. My neighbor is a gorilla on a bike and breaks everything. He needs a set of robust rim brake wheels and wants a loud freewheel. They seem to be getting quieter these days. Are Mavic Askiums noisy? Shimano Rs-100? $200 is about what he wants to spend. Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Last edited by shinomaster; 05-06-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:39 PM
I need you cool.

Does he need campy or shimano?

I have some 36 spoke campy wheels....heck, $50 plus shipping. (I knew I should not have recycled the box oldpotatoe sent my new wheels in....)

I think they are Veloce hubs, Ambrosio rims, straight gauge wheelsmith spokes....I will try to confirm.

heavy as heck, but solid wheels. Used to use them as "winter wheels" until I figured out that life was too short to ride heavy wheels.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:04 PM
commuter racer

sorry Shimano yes, but that's very kind thanks!
Old 05-06-2021, 05:19 PM

Just put baseball cards in the spokes.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:12 PM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
Asking for a friend. My neighbor is a gorilla on a bike and breaks everything. He needs a set of robust rim brake wheels and wants a loud freewheel. They seem to be getting quieter these days. Are Mavic Askiums noisy? Shimano Rs-100? $200 is about what he wants to spend. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Shimano road hubs have historically been fairly quiet. They typically have between 16 and 20 points of engagement. The ratchet mechanism is built into the freehub body and then threads into the hub, so the amount of space for increased POE is limited. They bumped the POE up to 36 on some of their mountain bike hubs when Dyna-Sys was introduced. Don't know if they increased engagement on the newer road hubs, but if they did, it was likely just on the higher end stuff. Not likely to be found in your $200 budget.

Unfortunately, more "noise" typically means more points of engagement, which means more precise machining, and therefore more $$$. Gotta pay to play!

Oh, and if your friend is a gorilla, I highly advise he stays away from cheaper Mavic wheels. The freehub body is only anchored to the axle on the lockring side and the rest of the body simply floats over the innershell on a nylon bushing. It also only has 2 small steel pawls. It's a really bad design for heavy riders or folks who ride in inclement weather where grit can collect between the bushing and hub and essentially sand away the aluminum.

Last edited by RudAwkning; 05-06-2021 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:12 AM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
Shimano road hubs have historically been fairly quiet. They typically have between 16 and 20 points of engagement. The ratchet mechanism is built into the freehub body and then threads into the hub, so the amount of space for increased POE is limited. They bumped the POE up to 36 on some of their mountain bike hubs when Dyna-Sys was introduced. Don't know if they increased engagement on the newer road hubs, but if they did, it was likely just on the higher end stuff. Not likely to be found in your $200 budget.

Unfortunately, more "noise" typically means more points of engagement, which means more precise machining, and therefore more $$$. Gotta pay to play!

Oh, and if your friend is a gorilla, I highly advise he stays away from cheaper Mavic wheels. The freehub body is only anchored to the axle on the lockring side and the rest of the body simply floats over the innershell on a nylon bushing. It also only has 2 small steel pawls. It's a really bad design for heavy riders or folks who ride in inclement weather where grit can collect between the bushing and hub and essentially sand away the aluminum.
Thanks for this helpful info. I had the original Fulcrum 7's which were both loud and cheap, but they seem not to be made anymore.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:16 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I hate those loud free hubs. Hate a strong word, OK. BUT! for city and city path use, jut stop pedaling or free wheel the chainset back and as good as a bell/horn to alert the oblivious...

Last edited by robt57; 05-07-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:27 AM
That guy..

Curious. Why a noisy freehub?
Preference. Or for safety, as people can hear you.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2021, 12:11 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mktng View Post
Curious. Why a noisy freehub?
Preference. Or for safety, as people can hear you.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
yeah when commuting and you roll up behind someone they can hear you etc..
Old 05-07-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
By far the loudest hubs I've ever heard are the fastengage model from Hunt. It actually hurts your ears if freewheeling in the stand

It's a bit outside his budget but I'm pretty sure the Superdura uses the same hub:
https://youtu.be/_Kv_74R8RUg
Old 05-07-2021, 12:37 PM

You could get a quiet freehub and put a baseball card in the spokes.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Does he need campy or shimano?

I have some 36 spoke campy wheels....heck, $50 plus shipping. (I knew I should not have recycled the box oldpotatoe sent my new wheels in....)

I think they are Veloce hubs, Ambrosio rims, straight gauge wheelsmith spokes....I will try to confirm.

heavy as heck, but solid wheels. Used to use them as "winter wheels" until I figured out that life was too short to ride heavy wheels.
Sent you a note about these, since the OP wanted Shimano.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this helpful info. I had the original Fulcrum 7's which were both loud and cheap, but they seem not to be made anymore.
I've a pair of Fulcrum 7 taken off of a 2012 CAAD 10 (Shimano 10-speed hub). It appears (from the bike etc.) that the previous owner really did not ride much so they are quite new looking despite the age. PM me if you're interested!
Old 05-07-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
By far the loudest hubs I've ever heard are the fastengage model from Hunt. It actually hurts your ears if freewheeling in the stand

It's a bit outside his budget but I'm pretty sure the Superdura uses the same hub:
https://youtu.be/_Kv_74R8RUg
Agreed - I've got a set of the Hunt 4 seasons with the high engagement hubs and it's the classic angry hornet swarm bearing down on unsuspecting dog-walkers on the MUP!