Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post

There are plenty of web sites (try Askwoody.com and sites that it links to) that deal with this stuff. There are many strategies for dealing with Windows Updates ranging from "freeze them all and ignore them" to always keep the latest updates applied. I lean towards the latter but cautiously.

Yeah, you can run Windows on MAC or Linux but why? If I was going to be a MAC user then that's what I'd use for everything. Same for Linux.

It's sad when a journalist can make a career out of Windows problems (the Woody on Windows column is a five-year list of Win10 messes).

I agree that it's better to run Mac apps on a Mac. Why deal with Windows if you don't have to? But sometimes you have to, and for that many run Win10 on Parallels. MS Office is nearly at parity Win/Mac, so in my work I open Win10 as little as possible. Now, thinking of Windows is like thinking of that neurotic, needy, high-drama girlfriend from years ago.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:45 PM
3D

I suggest upgrade the HD to SSD. They are so cheap now compare to $200 got me a 60gb two decades ago.
Check your hardware, disconnect from anything other than kb and mouse. If it a laptop, overheating is a common problem.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:53 PM

SSD's are great and a big improvement over older hard drives.

But this is why I asked the question about how old the PC is. It may not be possible to upgrade it to a SSD or it may not make sense economically. The user may not have any experience messing with the internals of the PC.

Also a good reason to have your files backed up (and the restore process tested) before unplugging anything in the PC.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:09 PM
Randomhead

My experience with hard drives over the last 10 years or so has been quite poor. I never had one fail slowly though, always just failed.

And most computers will take an SSD. Microsoft might make you get re-authorized if you swap out a hard drive.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:25 PM

Some nice young men with unusual accents call me from time to time to solve problems with my computers. They say they are calling from Microsoft support. If you’d like I will give them your number next time I hear from them.

I am sure they can help you in some way. Have your credit card numbers ready. Bank account numbers also. And your drivers license and social security number so you can prove who you are. Have all that ready and just give it to them when they ask. All fixed.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Linux

/problem

M
/good grief
Old 05-06-2021, 12:46 PM

I have some experience with desk tops but this is a laptop. I'm running system file checker now. I may also turn off the automatic update. 'll also check out Woody's information.
I remember about five years ago when MS surprised me by downloading Windows 8 on my Windows 7 machine that was running great. It was never the same and I had to search for files that were part of software that they deleted. They can really screw things up.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Some nice young men with unusual accents call me from time to time to solve problems with my computers. They say they are calling from Microsoft support. If you’d like I will give them your number next time I hear from them.

I am sure they can help you in some way. Have your credit card numbers ready. Bank account numbers also. And your drivers license and social security number so you can prove who you are. Have all that ready and just give it to them when they ask. All fixed.
This guy is great at scamming the scammers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyAbBE7lUwo