Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 06:34 AM

Moots Routt RSL or Seven Evergreen?

I'm thinking about getting a Ti Gravel bike for rides like D2R2 and the race formerly know as DK. I am looking for some advice as to why someone would
choose one over the other. I know there are many other great gravel bikes out there and other great Ti bikes too, but I think I am down to these two. First world issues for sure.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:41 AM
That guy..

Tire clearance, name and aesthetics?

I for one am not a huge fan of the weird dropped chainstay they do to accommodate larger tires.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:44 AM

I too want a gravel bike and currently own a Moots Vamoots Cr so it should be a no brainier right? wrong I do not like the way the rear triangle looks stupid I know but it is what it is. if its out of the two its a hard decision. good luck
Old 01-17-2021, 07:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Ti Gravel bike for rides like D2R2 and the race formerly know as DK. I am looking for some advice as to why someone would
choose one over the other. I know there are many other great gravel bikes out there and other great Ti bikes too, but I think I am down to these two. First world issues for sure.
Thanks in advance.
Moots."do one thing and do it well'..titanium..no carbon bits and plugs and other market driven doo-dads..GREAT and very healthy company.

BUT frame/fork or complete bike? Does seven even sell just F/F?
Old 01-17-2021, 08:00 AM

Hey dsimon.... I'm also in Manassas... and also have a Vamoots... went with the Routt RSL last year and have no regrets. Just got another wheelset for road riding... Access to lots of gravel routes out of The Plains... Plum Grove Cyclery in Leesburg is now a Moots demo shop...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210114_170158_resized.jpg (149.1 KB, 589 views)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:19 AM

Moots Routt RSL or Seven Evergreen?

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. This said, I don’t view these companies as similar when it comes to purchasing a Ti bike.

Moots is great if you like their geo and off-the-shelf spec. However, if you want custom it gets even pricier than the already high priced tag on their bikes. I’m not complaining as I’m a satisfied Moots customer. I’ve ridden my RSL more than any bike I’ve owned.

Seven seems like a great option if you want custom geo, care about fine-tuning the ride characteristics etc.

Finally, I’ll throw in a plug for some of the other custom builders (plenty of threads on here about who and why) as their lead times are similar, in many cases, to Seven. Moots might have a leg up in that you can probably just order one and it will show up in a week or two. Not sure about how easy sourcing components will be right now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2021, 09:23 AM

I'd choose neither. Titanium makes even less sense for a gravel bike than it does for a road bike. The "magic carpet ride" obscured by fat tyres run at a low pressure. There's a wealth of cheaper options in aluminium or carbon fibre, try one.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:25 AM

Without having ridden either, I'd give a shout-out to Seven, just because they're custom for the same price as an OTP Moots and delivery time is very impressive all things considered.

I also don't love the 3D printed dropout Moots use as the finish is different to the seat and chain stays it's welded to.

But like I say, nothing to do with how they might ride.

James Huang's Evergreen review on cycling tips is worth a read of you've not checked it out.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Does seven even sell just F/F?

They most certainly do.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
I'd choose neither. Titanium makes even less sense for a gravel bike than it does for a road bike. The "magic carpet ride" obscured by fat tyres run at a low pressure. There's a wealth of cheaper options in aluminium or carbon fibre, try one.

I hear your rational here but imho, Ti isn’t about a magic carpet ride on any surface. In addition, while frame materials do have a feel to them the tube set or carbon lay-up and the builders knowledge about how to put these materials together has a bigger impact than the material itself. If price is the primary driver then I would agree but that’s not the OPs question.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 AM

I think the Evergreen comes with multiple different tube set options as well, if memory serves? Can somebody help out on this? I believe it’s the two or three letter designator after the bike name (e.g. Evergreen XX)

Old 01-17-2021, 09:48 AM

I have not owned those models but have owned the brands...I preferred the brushed finish Seven uses over the Moots, other than that the ride/quality/craftsmanship was outstanding on both brands.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I think the Evergreen comes with multiple different tube set options as well, if memory serves? Can somebody help out on this? I believe it’s the two or three letter designator after the bike name (e.g. Evergreen XX)

S = straight gauge
SL = double butter
XX = 'ultra butter's - though they have done other things to the XX frame to really bring the weight down.

Then there's the evergreen pro which is a Ti-carbon mix.

Granted, I've nothing to compare it to but I've been very happy with my straight gauge Seven.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:13 AM

Titanium

Depends on what you need.
I have had several different gravel bikes made of carbon. Specialized Crux, Parlee Chebbacco, Scott Addict CX, Open UPPER...
I found them to have 2 weaknesses.
1.) The carbon bikes do tend to beat you up offroad. Yes- You do have more tire than a road bike, but you also have zero suspension. Titanium is more supple and comfortable.
2.) Geometry. Many/most carbon gravel bikes have too short of front center in small to medium sizes. This reduces stability and also results in toe clip overlap.
My custom gravel bikes (I have a Seven and a Bingham Built) have front center of 618-622mm.
My stock bikes were all under 600mm of front center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroon View Post
Old 01-17-2021, 11:30 AM

Don’t see how you could go wrong with either. Both have great reputations and have been around for long time. Pick whichever aesthetic you like better as that is one area they differ. Personally, I don’t like the extreme sloping TT on the Moots. Also remember the Moots has a wide BB and you can’t use a road crankset - not a bad thing just something you need to plan around.