Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 12:24 AM
LateStart

Choices

Air Quality is a factor. LA has improved a lot compared to the 70's and 80's in pre-catalytic converter, lead-gas era.

For me the cooler temps, cleaner air and somewhat less crowded roads argue for NorCal. Lots of really good choices in East Bay, South Bay and North Bay and even as far out as Davis...

SoCal has great weather and sights, but it's a big region and you have to pick a sub-region.

But either is better than most of the rest of the US, so good options in all directions.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:21 AM
Administrator

This is a bike forum, so the question as-asked is on point, but realistically there is a huge world of difference between Marin and LA that is hard not to overstate.

If I were picking between the two; I have my own reasons but would easily choose one over the other with 100% certainty. I think there is excellent riding in both locations, but surely the place you call home has many additional factors.

If we want to talk about just cycling; it depends on what kind of riding the OP prefers.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
The future is mobile - why limit yourself? Small basecamp if you need it (in Nevada for tax purposes), minimalist lifestyle, and a well-kitted class B that can stealth camp sounds like heaven to me..
lol, who's future is that?

we love you clean, but this DINK world view is beyond ultra narrow and would not work for 99% of people who think beyond their own personal whims.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:55 AM

On topic:

Both are good, but i would pick norcal every time. what norcal really has going for it is the easier access to the rest of northern california and southern oregon. from a basecamp in marin, you're a car ride from a lot of spectacular stuff.

malibu canyon riding is really good, but might get stale after a few years of daily riding out that way.

it's a good choice to have to make if those are your two potential destinations!
Old 01-15-2021, 09:23 AM

There is no wrong answer compared to 90% of the world, but having ridden up and down the state a number of times, I would just say that, wrt road riding only, as you go south the weather gets better, the roads get better, the scenery gets worse and the drivers get much worse (and I'll blame the last point on the increasing number of tourists as you go south).
Old 01-15-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
On topic:

Both are good, but i would pick norcal every time. what norcal really has going for it is the easier access to the rest of northern california and southern oregon. from a basecamp in marin, you're a car ride from a lot of spectacular stuff.

malibu canyon riding is really good, but might get stale after a few years of daily riding out that way.

it's a good choice to have to make if those are your two potential destinations!
I agree, and as a nor cal east bay resident with TONS of horrible drivers as I leave my own driveway.... I'm surprised there has been little to no mention of the central coast!

If I could carve a living out and find a decent public school system in an affordable area along the central coast-ish area, I would do so.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4151zero View Post
I agree, and as a nor cal east bay resident with TONS of horrible drivers as I leave my own driveway.... I'm surprised there has been little to no mention of the central coast!

If I could carve a living out and find a decent public school system in an affordable area along the central coast-ish area, I would do so.
My only issue with the central coast is the road density is too low. Lots of routes that involve hopping on the highway for at least a few miles. One of the things that's so great about riding in the Santa Cruz mountains is there are enough roads that as a cyclist, you have the option of taking the ones that cars rarely do.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:56 AM

I have friends in Santa Cruz and love the riding, but it's pricey and smoky at times.

San Diego was my favorite place to ride, but there are too many people. That said, there is just about every terrain, and if you're riding up and down the coast, you'll never be alone. My favorite in the summer months was to ride inland before the heat of the day and return south on the coast.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:01 AM

Girona, and I live in Bay Area.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:06 AM

Malibu - Topanga is dangerous road riding, though I've done my share.

MTB: Is there a lot to explore around Marin besides Mt. Tam? The SM Mountains trail system is large from Sycamore to Westridge.

I would take So Cal from what I know, which is where I live. We don't have anything like Napa Valley grape aromas or country roads like Winters (Davis). We do have the 805 within striking distance as someone mentioned above.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:19 AM

Having found myself sleeping on top of one too many earthquakes, I would not live in either location, especially after having a house crumble around me.

But having Marin within weekend-visit distance, and between having the bike museum in Fairfax and a love for riding all over Mt Tam, I would vote for inland NorCal.

Not to mention the many foothills riding opportunities with the Tahoe region just an hour or so up the hill, I think I'll stay planted here despite recent smoke-outs.

Riding up here means not going anywhere without some real climbing output, so year-round fitness is a given if one simply gets on the bike a few times per week. A steel sport-touring bike seems to open a vast range of pleasurable riding opportunities in this area.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:54 AM
Viva Chamucos

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Somewhere between Palo Alto and Santa Cruz. That's where the good stuff is.
Having lived and ridden in all three areas - this is the correct answer.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Having lived and ridden in all three areas - this is the correct answer.
I've lived in Thousand Oaks, Menlo Park, and now Oakland.

I would rank the riding from those places in that order. TO just offered great Malibu Canyon riding right out my door....longer jaunts Ojai, Coast rides, Lots of Climbing, Flats out to Simi Valley with huge bike lanes.

Menlo Park offered access to some great rides as well, but traffic is worse.

Oakland. Like a real-life episode of Survival on a daily basis.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:26 PM
Viva Chamucos

Agree that the Malibu Canyon area rides are fantastic. Ridden them hundreds of times. Some of the greatest riding days of my life.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
lol, who's future is that?

we love you clean, but this DINK world view is beyond ultra narrow and would not work for 99% of people who think beyond their own personal whims.
SINK here - but still.. If someone is asking about whether to live in Malibu or Marin, they are already self-identifying as being in the 0.1% bracket and likely either not working or being a remote worker, and almost certainly not taking kids-centered requirements into the equation. So.....I don't think my statement was off base whatsoever to the OP's question.