Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 09:31 AM

Pas normal bibs?

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 12-01-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:50 AM
Administrator

other boutique brands come and go.

some are fancy, some are expensive, some have new complicated secret handshake names with random letters, decimal points and numbers. some come from normal studios - all this to make you feel like an insider in some secret cool cycling club gang.

i have yet to find a pair of bibs that is higher quality or better comfort than giordana forma-red carbon bibs. they can be found for under 250 pretty easily and they are, IMO the rock solid workhorse bibs that never let you down.
Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 AM

Old 01-17-2021, 02:24 PM

Well, “worth” is subjective, of course. They cost a lot of scratch. So, hard to say if the Pas Normal bibs are “worth” what they cost. But I will say they’re very comfortable and look fantastic. I have two pairs of the Mechanism
Bibs. Stylish as hell. They’re super compressive and form-fitting, which I like. Without highlighting your junk, which I also like.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post

Any other brand to consider (not rapha as I didn’t like them previously) in the 175-250 price range?
For consumer direct I really like donkey label and eliel. DL has less compression and disappears on you, eliel more compression and a bit more weight to the fabric.

They both use EIT chamois.

Both typically have promo codes or sales going on. Ive gotten DL shorts for as little as 125 on sale.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:27 PM

Old 01-17-2021, 02:45 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Assos have the crotch sling design, maybe that's up your street

Quote:
Thanks. Those are the ones they have. $250...

I’m mostly concerned about fit and quality. I find many (almost all besides assos) don’t conform well in the groin area and leave gaps which ultimately introduces the opportunity for friction.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:50 PM

Old 01-17-2021, 02:53 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have a pair, the stitching of the PNS bibs came apart in under 500 miles. I guess I am hard on my bibs because some love em and have had no problems.

I have to say, the kind of stitching of the chamois is not good for me because I have some raphas that also came undone, however some raphas with a different kind of stitching are still fine, same with assos I have had for thousands of mines and no problems.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:05 PM
DELETE ACCNT

just noticed already said assos, sorry about that

So many good brands nowadays, especially in that $200+ market.
Hard to recommend something, as most have similar warranties and quality. Fit is so personal...

Pas Normal look really good though. They certainly stand out as classy looking kit.
If you like the look, only thing you can do is try them out.

Quote:
Yea I have a pair. I’d love to find a brand that has that feature but more normal materials otherwise. But as mentioned in the first post the quality is suspect and the material they use in the rsr feels...$just weird. It’s crinkly and brittle feeling but does disappear once on. The leg grips have snags in them already after not that much usage and they slide up unless I’m freshly lubed and shaved. Side note I hate shaving but every time I rip a bandaid with hairs on my legs after an incident like yesterday I remember why. First for me, a rock jumped up and hit me on the shin causing a deep wound with lots of blood. Ruined a new sock...
Old 01-17-2021, 03:37 PM

Not as expensive as those mentioned but... I really like the Endura Pro SL bibs & they offer them in regular & long leg (although regular is long enough IMO)

They fit perfect & the 700 series pad is the best pad of anything I have ever worn which includes many brands in 3+ decades of riding

Part of the reason for that may be that I can buy these in a narrow pad as they offer multiple width pads (narrow,medium,wide) Which when you think about it makes perfect sense

Once I realized how perfect they were I bought 6 pairs at a Chain Reaction closeout last year for a killer discounted price (I'm still on the first two pairs I rotate as they are holing up great)

Last edited by flying; 01-19-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Worth the price of admission?

I need another pair of bibs as I need to retire a few pairs of older Assos. I currently have assos rsr s9 and voler black label bibs that were both new last year. The assos fit great (the pocket up front is especially amazing) but the fabric is weird, I already have some minor fails on the leg gripper section, and I’m not sure I trust they will last long, especially for the price. The voler work but don’t fit well and I will probably just get rid of them.

So I look for a new brand to try that fits in the middle of those two price points. A local shop sells pas normal but I don’t know much about them.

Any other brand to consider (not rapha as I didn’t like them previously) in the 175-250 price range?
Try the regular Assos RS9 the RSRs have a very different fabric that is woven with greater compression and is meant as more of a “race day” bib like the old Campionissimo S7s. I have both and they hold up really well but definitely not a multiple times a week bib, whereas the RS9s like the S7 Equipes or current S7 miles have been a great daily short
Old 01-17-2021, 04:29 PM

Old 01-17-2021, 06:34 PM

Q365 gregarious ultras?
I find that the q chamois are more comfortable over long distances vs the PNS

Last edited by tanghy; 01-17-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
other boutique brands come and go.

some are fancy, some are expensive, some have new complicated secret handshake names with random letters, decimal points and numbers. some come from normal studios - all this to make you feel like an insider in some secret cool cycling club gang.

i have yet to find a pair of bibs that is higher quality or better comfort than giordana forma-red carbon bibs. they can be found for under 250 pretty easily and they are, IMO the rock solid workhorse bibs that never let you down.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. I’ve tried countless types of bibs over the years and have to say that Giordana are tied with some of the Assos (have had mixed results w newer models) and Cuore (the original IT/CH company started by some Assos alums unfortunately have never found Cuore stateside.