Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 09:14 AM

Cheap dynamo lights

Anyone use the no-name, unknown name, cheap dynamo lights from China? Considering one for my soon to be built up town bike. I have a nice light on my tourer bike and the town bike will be more to be seen, rather than to see. I realize you usually get what you pay for but thinking of taking a flyer on one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOXEYE-StVZ...EAAOSwPdddMVYk
Old 01-17-2021, 09:36 AM
Randomhead

It has been 5 years at least, but I had one of the $25 stvzo dyno headlights. Only problem with it was that the mount was too wimpy for life parked in a bike rack at work. I think it was perfect for commuting, I like cheap for that. Otherwise I'm going to stick with the IQ-X.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:55 AM

I've used the Planet Bike Dynamo Blaze front headlight designed for a generator hub for years on my around town bike. I've used it both with a Shimano and Sturmey Archer generator front hub. It works great and has a very nice attachment feature. I like the fact that it can be seen from the side too. It also has a good connector that allows the light to be disconnected from the wire to the generator so it can taken off and put back on again with ease. Right now it can be bought on Amazon for under $40. I would certainly be willing to spend $15 more dollars for this one than some no name brand.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It has been 5 years at least, but I had one of the $25 stvzo dyno headlights. Only problem with it was that the mount was too wimpy for life parked in a bike rack at work. I think it was perfect for commuting, I like cheap for that. Otherwise I'm going to stick with the IQ-X.
Great to know - thanks. My other light also is IQ-X. If light conks out riding around town, not as big a deal as middle of nowhere, busy road on tour or rando.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:38 PM
Forward the Foundation

B&M lights are $32 to $75, might as well get something that works.

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.php

Also B&M resell easily, I'm on my 5th generation of lights.
Same SON hub. Started with dual E6s.

Last edited by sg8357; 01-17-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Randomhead

There is something to be said for getting a B&M. If you want to buy on ebay for some reason, there are people selling Spanninga and Trelok for about $30, both known brands. Get a Spanninga Pixeo taillight, they are good lights.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:03 PM

The average B&M lightnsold on the Eu is prpbably 20-30 dollars. A low power light is pretty basic electrical engineering, youre not looking for massive lumens. Give it a shot, how bad could it possibly be?

Im Running an Exposure onthe mtb, IQ Cyo on road (aiming to replace with an IQX)and a cheapo chinese on the commuter ( which is great functionally though not the one you found) and an Edelux 1 on the breakaway (for when i fly, ha ha)