Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2021, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
Campagnolo owns almost a dozen factories around the world. Depending on the pieces, it will be mostly Italy or Romania. I believe the breakdown is like this:
cranks- Italy
BB- Italy
levers/calipers- Taiwan
cassette- Italy
chain- Italy
rear derailleur- Italy
rotors- Romania

I know the crank, bb, levers/calipers and chain are correct. I can see it on the boxes in a pic I have. I can't see the others but I believe that's the breakdown from what I remember.
Thanks. So getting a group is truly a global effort. Interestingly the only parts i'm going to need come from Italy then, haha, perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Ooops, I mistakenly reversed it. Yes, a 13s chain won't work with 12s Rotor rings. Corrected my post.
gotcha. yes, i think you're stuck. it's unlikely a 12s chain will work with the cassette stack. the only reason they would have went with a narrower chain is if the spacing of the cassette required reducing the width of the chain, which is almost certainly the case to squeeze another cog in there.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
gotcha. yes, i think you're stuck. it's unlikely a 12s chain will work with the cassette stack. the only reason they would have went with a narrower chain is if the spacing of the cassette required reducing the width of the chain, which is almost certainly the case to squeeze another cog in there.
Appears Ekar has succeeded where others have failed and have designed the first fully 'closed' system.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:49 PM

Hi Dave,

Measurement Attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
While you're measuring. How about the width across the inner plates, right over the pin holes. That tells how wide a quick link needs to be, to produce the normal .1-.2mm clearance. Width a across the outer plates would also be valuable information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Width of Chain.jpg (100.1 KB, 306 views)
Old 01-15-2021, 10:56 PM

Unfortunately I can't measure the cassette spacing as I am still missing the cassette since I am looking for the 10-44T. However, I suspect that the spacing of ekar 13 will be much less than the 12s, hence narrower chain.

As soon as I got the cassette, I will post measurement on Ekar Cassette spacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
I've got a yet-to-be installed Ekar group and was hoping to go full Ekar 1x13, just with Rotor cranks/rings. Since we know conclusively that the 13s chain won't work with Rotor rings, there's only one last option which would be to hope that it could work [even imperfectly] with an Ekar cassette. I know, I'm grasping.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:17 AM

The chain width at the pin is nearly identical to a sram axs road chain. The sram quick link will most likely work, if needed, in a pinch.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:11 PM
Administrator

another question:

do the new ekar BB cups for english threaded BB's use the same tool to install as the old ones or do i need some new tool?
Old 01-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
another question:

do the new ekar BB cups for english threaded BB's use the same tool to install as the old ones or do i need some new tool?
Same
Old 01-17-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Campagnolo owns almost a dozen factories around the world. Depending on the pieces, it will be mostly Italy or Romania. I believe the breakdown is like this:
cranks- Italy
BB- Italy
levers/calipers- Taiwan
cassette- Italy
chain- Italy
rear derailleur- Italy
rotors- Romania

I know the crank, bb, levers/calipers and chain are correct.
No, it's also dependent on the groupset. I've got 2020 Record brakes here and the box says Romania, and 2020 Chorus brakes that the box said Made in Taiwan.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:31 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

@Velocipede or others;

For a non-flat mount fork: with the Ekar brake system work okay with a Magura caliper? AKA fluid compatibility between the reformulated Blue Blood for the Ekar vs original formula used with mountain bike systems?
Old 01-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
No, it's also dependent on the groupset. I've got 2020 Record brakes here and the box says Romania, and 2020 Chorus brakes that the box said Made in Taiwan.
Understood. I was speaking about the Ekar group specifically.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:50 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
@Velocipede or others;

For a non-flat mount fork: with the Ekar brake system work okay with a Magura caliper? AKA fluid compatibility between the reformulated Blue Blood for the Ekar vs original formula used with mountain bike systems?
Campy levers were designed in team with Magura. So they do work with Magura calipers. NOW, I have not personally tried this but I have seen and heard of people doing it without issues. BUT, the new Ekar system uses a different fluid. It's red in color. WHY? No idea. Campy NA can't even give me an answer why. It's a mineral oil based system so it should be compatible. I would suggest using the red fluid though just to make sure there's no issues.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:47 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Campy levers were designed in team with Magura. So they do work with Magura calipers. NOW, I have not personally tried this but I have seen and heard of people doing it without issues. BUT, the new Ekar system uses a different fluid. It's red in color. WHY? No idea. Campy NA can't even give me an answer why. It's a mineral oil based system so it should be compatible. I would suggest using the red fluid though just to make sure there's no issues.
Wish I'd marked where I read this, the boiling point was raised in the red fluid vs the blue. IDK if that's true or not.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:02 PM
aka RAEKWON

also magura brake pads work fine as well and are cheaper (substantially from what I remember). I found them on super sale and bought a bunch, I don't have campy disc atm but I know I will have the system again. I love that they are magnetic, its a great sytem.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Wish I'd marked where I read this, the boiling point was raised in the red fluid vs the blue. IDK if that's true or not.

Thanks for your help.
I heard that also but it doesn't make sense since the road disc bikes would be traveling at a higher speed and braking for longer than a gravel bike. So you'd think the Royal Blood would be fine given it's used in Magura disc brakes on mountain bikes and for downhill use. Again, something that would possibly boil faster than a gravel bike.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
@Velocipede or others;

The Hope RX4 post mount calipers also allegedly will work with Ekar, although I don't know if it is official yet...
https://www.hopetech.com/products/br...mount-caliper/