Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 08:58 AM

Thanks all for the responses really appreciate it. I am so jealous of the Europeans and their nice roads. I think the easy immediate fix for me is to run lower pressures. Going to also experiment with latex tubes + sealant as I don’t think I want to make the full tubeless dive yet.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

For the OP..in spite of the calls to 'go full tubeless', unless you have tubeless compatible rims and tires, 'going full tubeless' with 'conventional tires and/or rims is a 'Bad Idea'...

Just for info.....
Why? If it works, it works
Old 01-17-2021, 05:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_velo View Post
Why? If it works, it works
Because often, even tho it 'seems' to work in the work stand, if it doesn't out on the road, that can be a flat only if you're lucky or a something BAD, say coming down that descent when the front goes flat.

There are SCADS of tubeless rims and tires..no reason(other that $) to macgiver some set up that 'may' be sketchy.

BUT YMMV and all that.....yer teeth..
Old 01-17-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stj View Post
Thanks all for the responses really appreciate it. I am so jealous of the Europeans and their nice roads. I think the easy immediate fix for me is to run lower pressures. Going to also experiment with latex tubes + sealant as I don’t think I want to make the full tubeless dive yet.
I have a tubeless setup, but for winter I'm running 32 GP4 seasons with tubes, but I did lower the pressure significantly (I'm 180-185 ish) to 50/55 from 75/80 and it made a huge difference in ride quality, they rode poorly at higher pressure. Just a data point
Old 01-17-2021, 08:47 PM

Psi

This is an eye opening thread on the tire pressure front. I’ve not had much trouble with flats over the past 20 yrs of riding with tubes, but have always pumped my tires up to whatever the max pressure is listed on the tire before going on a ride. Old racing habit, I guess? Might finally be time to rethink that. Two bikes with tubes have max PSI of 100 and 140. A new bike with tubeless wheels/tires has max PSI of 90. That SRAM calculator is pretty slick. Maybe I’ll just start by lowering by about 10# on my next ride.