Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 01:37 PM

Custom TI Frame - Parts Recommendations

Hi Paceline community.
I placed an order for a custom TI frame 3 months ago. The bike will have a max tire clearance of 40mm. In preparation for the arrival of the frame, I'll need to choose parts to complete the bike and was hoping the community could really help me.

This is going to be a build up from scratch so it's a clean slate.

The bike is going to be used on on the road mostly. I do a decent amount of mountain climbs, descents as there's one of the country's best road trails 1/2mi from my house.

Groupset.
SRAM eTap AXS. I was preferring the 2x 12 speed groupset. I like the wireless uncluttered look. Any specific recommendations on this?

Wheels
Farsports Feeders? Looks to be a great value. I'm torn between their 35mm depths or 45mm. The new Zipps look nice too. I'm open to recommendations.

Seat

Handlebars

etc.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-04-2020, 01:54 PM

I debated between getting SRAM AXS now and waiting for new DA Di2. The latest rumor I've heard is new Di2 will be announced shortly this year with general availability next year. Have heard a fair amount of mixed reviews about SRAM AXS, some people here love it while you'll easily find many negative experiences elsewhere. For now, I'm waiting out for the new Di2, and if there is delay from Shimano I'll probably just get the current generation.

Saddle and handlebars are important touch points on the bike, so pick what's been working for you shape/design wise. Carbon works well with Ti (incl. stem and seatpost)

Farsports wheels are good value but don't have a very high expectation in terms of finish quality. The new Feders seem quite lightweight so if you chase after grams their value aspect shines through.

Curious why you chose a 40mm tire clearance for a mostly road bike? Future proof just in case you want to try some gravel too? But the larger clearance probably makes some compromise in weight and handling for a climbing road bike? Love to hear your thoughts.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
I debated between getting SRAM AXS now and waiting for new DA Di2. The latest rumor I've heard is new Di2 will be announced shortly this year with general availability next year. Have heard a fair amount of mixed reviews about SRAM AXS, some people here love it while you'll easily find many negative experiences elsewhere. For now, I'm waiting out for the new Di2, and if there is delay from Shimano I'll probably just get the current generation.

Saddle and handlebars are important touch points on the bike, so pick what's been working for you shape/design wise. Carbon works well with Ti (incl. stem and seatpost)

Farsports wheels are good value but don't have a very high expectation in terms of finish quality. The new Feders seem quite lightweight so if you chase after grams their value aspect shines through.

Curious why you chose a 40mm tire clearance for a mostly road bike? Future proof just in case you want to try some gravel too? But the larger clearance probably makes some compromise in weight and handling for a climbing road bike? Love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks. I've read about the upcoming Shimano but unless we get an announcement in the next few weeks, I don't think it'll be out this year? I don't want to have to wait until 2021 to get the new groupset. It's also up in the air whether it'll be wireless.

I got the 40mm clearance for future proofing... I'm shooting for a more all road type of a bike. I had the option to choose between an Enve All road fork with about 38mm clearance or a Parlee with 40mm and chose the Parlee.

Would you recommend the new Zipps over Farsports? I haven't ridden either...

I forgot to mention that this is for disc brakes.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:14 PM

Here is my bike that is about 2 months old. Made for me.
Alchemy Chiron.

Enough room to fit 40mm tires.
Enve All Road fork
Sram AXS Force with Red AXS cranks.

So pleased with everything about this bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg julychiron.jpg (134.0 KB, 263 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 02:20 PM

I don't understand future proofing. What do you need to make the machine perform way you want to. Why not go to 50 or 60???

Sorry don't understand all this wider is always better.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Here is my bike that is about 2 months old. Made for me.
Alchemy Chiron.

Enough room to fit 40mm tires.
Enve All Road fork
Sram AXS Force with Red AXS cranks.

So pleased with everything about this bike.
That's a gorgeous bike. That's pretty much my ideal right there. What type of wheels are those?

Great choice with the groupset! I also wanted the Force AXS BUT with Red cranks. The Force AXS aren't as aesthetically pleasing to me.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:27 PM

Enve 3.4AR wheels with 38mm Panaracer Gravel King SK+ tires.
Full enve cockpit.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:51 PM

The thing with Ti is it's relatively muted (even with bling) and so things like the geometry and components can really stand out.

On your specifics -- I had a bike built for a mechanical groupset, but put etap on it fairly quickly. It's amazing. In short, what's cool about it is that it takes a very simple machine and makes it simpler by removing some of the faff of cables and wires. in this sense, it's really quite different from the Shimano offering.

On the wheels -- I tried Enve (4.5 SES), Zipp (404), Boyds (50mm), November Rails and Eastons. I went with Enve because they felt more lively than any of the others, which at times felt a bit dead to me.

For the bike you describe I'd suggest you stick with alloy bars. I like a modern compact with a flat top, and went with Deda.

Beyond that, bear in mind that muted ti means any accents will pop. Mine is anodized and the blue carries through to the hubs, and the white/blue fork stands out as well. You can also accentuate the "machine" look on the bike with stem, seat post and other accessories from the frame builder or at least with a matching finish from another. Moots, Firefly and others do stems and seat posts, and even things like seat post clamps and headsets.

Photos of current setup attached. Stem, seat post, pump fairing, seat post clamp all from Firefly.

Finally -- the best advice I ever got on setting up the look of a custom bike was this: think of everything you'd like on it, then subtract 30%. I think this factor is even worse with smaller bikes (mine is big and has more space, so you can add more things without it looking overly busy).

Do share when you have the final results!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0715.jpg (118.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0649.jpg (147.8 KB, 239 views)
Old 08-05-2020, 08:03 PM

Awesome Firefly. I'm building up a No22 and am also weighing build options (won't be ready until late Sept).

You typed: "I like a modern compact with a flat top, and went with Deda"

-- which model Deda, if I may ask? I'm leaning towards alloy for my handlebar for its added durability on rougher terrain.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:09 PM

AXS would be an excellent option, big fan of both the Force and Red versions.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:15 PM

Hi, congratulations my typical build for a bike like yours is

1) AXS works great and very clean.
2) Chris King headset
3) Carbon wheels with DT Swiss 240 hubs. The DTS 240s the perfect serviceable hub and are more important than the rim. Zipps hubs are not that great.
4) Fizik cockpit and seat post. R1. is a good place but Cyrano 00 is nicer.
5) King Ti cages.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:45 PM

AXS works great and looks great on this type of bike. The new wide range force setup Could be nice to have if your terrain dictates. Bars, stem, and seatpost are all pretty personal - just use your normal stuff.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:52 PM

I will play since I am having something similar (ti road bike) built just now:

Axs - I have been a diehard dura ace fan for years, but its really hard to overlook sram right now. Mayyybeeeee this will change with the new group due at some indeterminate point.

Enve 3.4 Ars, Onyx rear/Son dynamo front/schwalbe tires (son edelux front light/supernova rear.

Firefly stem/post/headset - Doesnt have to be Firefly but Ti in ti with matching finishes looks super clean.

Enve aero road bar - not so much for the aeroness but because i like the flare and the flat top for resting my hands while climbing.

Spec power saddle - ymmv

King ti cages
Old 08-05-2020, 10:03 PM

I added the Specialized Power Saddle with Mirror (worst name ever) and it has been terrific on and off pavement. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciclista_tifoso View Post

Awesome Firefly. I'm building up a No22 and am also weighing build options (won't be ready until late Sept).

You typed: "I like a modern compact with a flat top, and went with Deda"

-- which model Deda, if I may ask? I'm leaning towards alloy for my handlebar for its added durability on rougher terrain.
Thanks!

Superzero: https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-h.../12435992.html