Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 10:35 AM

We are out the door at 5am in the summer - Just a solid meal for dinner and no food till brunch around 10 or 11. I got addicted to rising with the sun year round and never stopped!
Old 07-21-2020, 10:37 AM

Before work rides, I'll be up by 0415, single packet of oatmeal and 1 good cup of coffee. Pack 3-4 SIS gels and a fig bar plus 2 full bottles of plain water. Rolling by 0500. Today I got in 50 miles and was home before 0800.

The key for me actually getting up to ride is gathering all my stuff the night before and not overthinking it when my alarm goes off. I'm pretty good at convincing myself to stay in bed.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 AM

I love dawn patrol rides, though we have a 6mo baby, so it right now depends entirely on what kind of night everyone had.

That said, I like to be on the trail at first light (I only ride mtb). one cuppa joe en route to the trailhead, breakfast with the fam when I get home. Works great for a 1-2hr ride.

Fasted cardio is good for yas.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:43 AM

Having everything prepped the night before is key. My morning commute I wake up at 7am and am on the road by 7:15 and to work by 8.

That's as early as I go. 6am? IS there even daylight at 6am? I would not know
Old 07-21-2020, 10:51 AM

I work an evening shift so I don't get to bed typically till a little after 11pm. I make it a point to suck it up and get out of bed between 5:30 and 6:00 at least once a week to get an earlier start. Having a group of friends to ride with makes a huge difference. I'm not disciplined enough to get out on my own at sunrise.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:46 AM

The only time I effectively trained early for any length of time was when I had a crush on this woman that trained at 5:00 AM. So that's my answer!

We'd ride together for 2.5-3 hours each morning. This meant I had to be up at 4-4:15 to make it to her place one time. This went on for quite a while, maybe 6 months. I got really strong, not because of the early rides but because of doing 15 hours of riding every week. That was probably 25 years ago?

Nowadays I am getting up early because kid (he likes to wake up at 5:30 latest). I am definitely more of a night person so I'll often ride at 9 or 10 pm. I have to take days off to recover from lack of sleep, but I can ride much more effectively in the evening. I often pass out from exhaustion after work at around 8 pm, the Missus wakes me up by 9 because otherwise I'll be up at 3 am, and then I'll ride/etc and go back to bed at around midnight.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
Summer is no joke in Northern VA.
Not hammering it; mostly endurance; banking miles and enjoying the outdoors.
Also in the region. Usually mid June I push back my start time at work switch over to doing most of my workouts in the morning.

I wake up at 5:00, drink two 32oz cups of water, oatmeal, Greek yogurt + blueberries, then hit the road by 5:30.

It can be tough to will yourself to push hard in the morning, especially at first, so allow yourself to ease into it. I also mostly just go for mileage.

But it gets easier the longer you go at it. Biggest struggle lately has been timing my pee breaks!
Old 07-21-2020, 12:21 PM
Robin (she/her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
One water bottle in the freezer and the other in the fridge overnight.
Up by 5am.
Eat one bagel with peanut butter and honey.
Two cups of coffee.
On the road by 6:15am with Fig Newtons and water.
👆🏼 pretty much this, except 7am and 8:30. of course, im retired, so....
Old 07-21-2020, 12:21 PM

I think the key points have already been outlined.

1. Have everything ready that you can have ready. Bike, kit, bottles, etc. all ready to go.
2. Coffee or beverage of choice and easy to grab food. I go an english muffin with peanut butter and honey.
3. Bathroom break.
4. Roll!

I need at least 30 minutes. Prefer to be awake 45 minutes before I plan to roll.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:33 PM

It helps that I am early riser; up by 5:00 no alarm. Typically I hang out, have coffee and relax, and can still be out early-ish. On commute days of old I would often not eat until I got to work-dining hall or bring food.

For long rides I also prepare the night before. This involves food preparation mostly.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:42 PM

I get up at 5 brush my teeth then head downstairs for breakfast (usually a couple hard boiled eggs and raisin bran) and coffee. Then back up for a shower and into commuting clothes load the bike then out the door at 6:30. I get to work between 7:15 and 7:30 another shower if I need it and at my desk at 8:00.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 07-21-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Between the heat, amount of traffic, and always getting involved with something work related late in the day, evening rides aren’t even a consideration now.

Wake up at 5, eat breakfast, feed and walk the dog, out the door by 6:15........ride over to meet the crew at 6:45, ride our traditional route and get home at 9:15............now I have the rest of the day for work and any other tasks I get roped into.

Can’t recall the last time I did an evening ride this season.........
Old 07-21-2020, 12:46 PM
aka RAEKWON

I don't always ride just because I get up early, I actually need at least an hour to get out of the door but I do wake up super early. Its the best and I would not go back to my old ways. I used to never go to be before 2 or 3. Now I am in bed by 10ish, get up at 6am. The morning is the best time of the day, wife doesnt get up till 8 so I have 2 hours of peace to do whatever I want. Same reason I always used to get to work a bit earlier so I could have some time to get things done and got so much done before everyone arrived.

The trick is to go to bed early, takes time to get it down but eventually you will do it. You can't wake up early if you don't get enough sleep, it will make the morning miserable instead of enjoyable.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediemracing View Post
The only time I effectively trained early for any length of time was when I had a crush on this woman that trained at 5:00 AM. So that's my answer!

We'd ride together for 2.5-3 hours each morning. This meant I had to be up at 4-4:15 to make it to her place one time. This went on for quite a while, maybe 6 months. I got really strong, not because of the early rides but because of doing 15 hours of riding every week. That was probably 25 years ago?

Nowadays I am getting up early because kid (he likes to wake up at 5:30 latest). I am definitely more of a night person so I'll often ride at 9 or 10 pm. I have to take days off to recover from lack of sleep, but I can ride much more effectively in the evening. I often pass out from exhaustion after work at around 8 pm, the Missus wakes me up by 9 because otherwise I'll be up at 3 am, and then I'll ride/etc and go back to bed at around midnight.
Awe, I was kind of hoping that story went something like, now 25 years of marriage later and the kids off to college we started riding together in the mornings... er something like that
Old 07-21-2020, 12:57 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyaugustus View Post
Do you eat breakfast before riding or eat along the way?
"Breakfast"? What's that?

Seriously, I never eat anything before an early AM ride, unless the ride is going to be >60 miles, and I probably haven't done one of those in ~10 months. If it's a weekday early AM ride we're only talking about 20-30 miles, so I don't even bring pocket food. Just eat when I get home.

Quote:
Full stretch session after you wake up?
"Stretch"? What's that?

Seriously...never done it. Probably should.

Quote:
Shower first and/or after?
Please god don't tell me there are people who take a shower before their bike rides!

Quote:
What time are you on the road?
Typically out of my front door some time between 5:30 - 6:00AM. In very rare instances -- and certainly not recently -- 5:15AM

Only way for me to really pull it off is to get in bed before 10:30PM the night before.