Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-04-2020, 05:56 AM

OT: Testing for radon gas in your home

Has anyone ever had testing done for radon gas in the house?

Wondering what folks have done in cases where concentrations exceeded safe levels.

I'm guessing calling a professional as well as purchasing a monitor would both be recommended.
I see a couple of wireless WIFI models as well as non WIFI models that show a digital reading.

Here's a bit of info for those not aware like me:

Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally when the uranium in soil and rock breaks down. It is invisible, odourless and tasteless. When radon is released from the ground into the outdoor air, it is diluted and is not a concern. However, in enclosed spaces like homes, it can accumulate to high levels. High radon levels can be a risk to the health of you and your family.

When radon gas is inhaled into the lungsit decays into radioactive particles that release small bursts of energy. This energy is absorbed by nearby lung tissue, damaging the lung cells. When cells are damaged, they have the potential to result in cancer when they reproduce.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:16 AM

thanks for this... something to look out for.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Has anyone ever had testing done for radon gas in the house?

Wondering what folks have done in cases where concentrations exceeded safe levels.

I'm guessing calling a professional as well as purchasing a monitor would both be recommended.
I see a couple of wireless WIFI models as well as non WIFI models that show a digital reading.

Here's a bit of info for those not aware like me:

Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs naturally when the uranium in soil and rock breaks down. It is invisible, odourless and tasteless. When radon is released from the ground into the outdoor air, it is diluted and is not a concern. However, in enclosed spaces like homes, it can accumulate to high levels. High radon levels can be a risk to the health of you and your family.

When radon gas is inhaled into the lungsit decays into radioactive particles that release small bursts of energy. This energy is absorbed by nearby lung tissue, damaging the lung cells. When cells are damaged, they have the potential to result in cancer when they reproduce.
Son did and they then set up a continuously running vent that moves RADON to outside. If it's high enough, you shouldn't just monitor but remove. It was part of his pre-buy inspection so paid for by the seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-123.jpg (72.2 KB, 230 views)
Old 05-04-2020, 06:21 AM

Fairly common issue here in IL, we had this checked in every house we bought.
In the first one, at inspection the levels were way too high and the seller agreed to put in system to get rid of it.
Basically exactly the one OP posted above.
If you already have a sump pump, they can connect to that pit, otherwise they need to drill a hole into your basement floor.

2nd one was fine, current house already had a system installed when we bought it.

Last edited by Gsinill; 05-04-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:52 AM

I'm not a radon pro, but as a building performance/forensic engineer I've tested quite a few houses for radon. We have one older accurate instrument (Radstar) that cost +/- $800 that I've used for long term logging. What's important to note here is that levels vary widely. The standard 48 hour real estate test may not capture the real long term average. We also have 2 or 3 Radon Eye RD200 units, which I've tested along side the Radstar, and they're pretty good. +/- $175, use with a phone app. Takes hourly measurements and gives current value as well as average.

I've attached an image of data taken over 8 days by both devices. Note the variation in radon levels!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 8.48.30 AM.jpg (87.6 KB, 214 views)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:03 AM

yes. we've used those "aircheck" mail-in kits when we sold our old house. and picked up a digital real-time "safety-siren" radon detector when we bought our current moneypit.

for the old house, we had a radon mitigation system attached to our sump. basically, an air-tight cap and a fan system maintains negative air pressure beneath the foundation and evacuates that air above your roof. someone already posted a diagram. this was effective, it brought our levels from north of 4.0 down to below 1.0. cost was $1K.

for the moneypit house, which didnt have a sump system to work with, we just sealed up various entry-points for air into the foundation and also sealed up air leakage from the upper-floors that would draw foundation air into the house. this approach has been similarly effective.

Last edited by wallymann; 05-04-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:10 AM

I'm considering these two models:

Airthings Corentium
https://www.airthings.com/en-ca/home

Safety Siren Pro Series 3
https://www.safetysirenpro.com/canada_en/home/#how

Leaning more on the Corentium because it's battery operated and thinking more flexible with location.
Both are available locally here and I'm not a fan of the two WIFI devices some stores have.

Anyone have experience with these? Accurate? Reliable?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I'm not a radon pro, but as a building performance/forensic engineer I've tested quite a few houses for radon. We have one older accurate instrument (Radstar) that cost +/- $800 that I've used for long term logging. What's important to note here is that levels vary widely. The standard 48 hour real estate test may not capture the real long term average. We also have 2 or 3 Radon Eye RD200 units, which I've tested along side the Radstar, and they're pretty good. +/- $175, use with a phone app. Takes hourly measurements and gives current value as well as average.

I've attached an image of data taken over 8 days by both devices. Note the variation in radon levels!
I would imagine that variation in soil (or rock) moisture levels, temp, and air pressure might have an effect on the trends? What's an acceptable risk level for radon?
Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I'm considering these two models:

Airthings Corentium
https://www.airthings.com/en-ca/home

Safety Siren Pro Series 3
https://www.safetysirenpro.com/canada_en/home/#how

Leaning more on the Corentium because it's battery operated and thinking more flexible with location.
Both are available locally here and I'm not a fan of the two WIFI devices some stores have.

Anyone have experience with these? Accurate? Reliable?

Thanks for the feedback.
i have the safety-siren...it works well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I would imagine that variation in soil (or rock) moisture levels, temp, and air pressure might have an effect on the trends? What's an acceptable risk level for radon?
the federal standard to take action is 4.0 pCi/liter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (91.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Clipboard02.jpg (138.1 KB, 187 views)

Last edited by wallymann; 05-04-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:23 AM

I found the Safety Siren to be less accurate than the Radon Eye, for consumer level devices, but I don't have as neat of a data plot to show that.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:30 AM

Our house was tested as part of the purchase inspection when we were selling. It came back high and they installed a mitigation system. If you do test and decide not to do mitigation, you'll need to disclose it if/when you sell.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:00 AM

We've tested every house we've bought, and installed mitigation systems in two of them. It's not uncommon and as others have said, highly seasonally variable so don't assume a one time test is reflective of your long term averages.

Can also vary greatly from house to house. Your house could be fine, your neighbor could be a mess. All depends on the ground structures, how the air moves, etc.

The mitigation systems are cheap enough that its a bit of a no-brainer for me. Especially if you plan on spending a lot of time on the lowest level of your home.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:03 AM

We have it in our house. When we moved in there was already a system in place but we had to replace the fan last year. Don't mess with it. IF you have it then mitigate it.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:15 AM

What time of mitigation did you guys put in place besides the sub slab piping that brought concentration down to acceptable levels?
Old 05-04-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
What time of mitigation did you guys put in place besides the sub slab piping that brought concentration down to acceptable levels?
The same system that Potatoe shows above and yes the levels are gone. It creates a sink in the system. Basically pressure so all the gas (source) moves to the sink and then gets blown out above roof line. The fan runs 24/7 365 days till it burns out then you replace it. You never turn it off unless maintaing it.