Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 02:45 PM

Tubeless Road Tires - Maintaining pressure

Hi -

I have gone ahead with a tubeless build (ENVE) for the road. It will be my first tubeless road experience.

I am wondering if anyone can provide info on regular day-today care:

1. How often do they need to be ridden to maintain pressure?

2. What is the frequency of sealant replacement?

3. If inside on the rollers (i.e., not being ridden), is spinning them by hand every once in a while a reasonable approach to maintain the seal?

4. Any other witchcraft?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2020, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONN View Post
Hi -

I have gone ahead with a tubeless build (ENVE) for the road. It will be my first tubeless road experience.

3. If inside on the rollers (i.e., not being ridden), is spinning them by hand every once in a while a reasonable approach to maintain the seal?

4. Any other witchcraft?

Thanks!
1) it has nothing to do with riding. my road tubeless tires need to be inflated roughly at the same intervals as my tubed tires. Virtually no difference there.

2) depends on the climate you're riding in, but now i top off every 6 months.

3) you dont need to do anything to maintain the "seal". Once the beads are set, they are not coming unset unless you mechanically pop them out of the bead.

Essentially, treat them like any other tire with tubes, but add sealant every 6 months or so.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:56 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Can we start a tubeless road megathread or catch all? I swear there are like 5 posts a day about these topics and one centralized place for information, FAQ, etc might be helpful.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
1) it has nothing to do with riding. my road tubeless tires need to be inflated roughly at the same intervals as my tubed tires. Virtually no difference there.

2) depends on the climate you're riding in, but now i top off every 6 months.

3) you dont need to do anything to maintain the "seal". Once the beads are set, they are not coming unset unless you mechanically pop them out of the bead.

Essentially, treat them like any other tire with tubes, but add sealant every 6 months or so.

Thank you for the information and inspiration of confidence!
Old 08-04-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONN View Post
Hi -

4. Any other witchcraft?

Thanks!
1) I also find that they lose air at a similar rate to tubed. I pump them up before every ride. Perhaps if they started at 60psi I wouldn't notice it so much, but at 75/85, daily inflation.
2) I have reminders set for every 90 days. Not sure if I really need to do that, but I figure to burn through the tires in 2-3 refills.
3) This is apparently a mistake I made as well, thinking the sealant maintained the seal. Not the case.
4) It'll be messy to load them up the first few times. You'll spill sealant. Do dumb stuff. Then you won't anymore. Get an airshot or something like it if you don't have a compressor. SOOOO much easier to seat the tires.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 AM

I just got one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There are others, as well as home made versions, that can inject sealant through the valve stem. The beauty of this one is that you can suck sealant out of the tire as well. I do that because it's not possible to know exactly how much sealant you have in your tire before you top it off. The small tube didn't clog with Orange Seal, but that could be a downside if it does. Larger tubing syringes that slip over the valve stem won't. Milkit makes a similar, but expensive, injector, but their valve cores seal at the tire end so sealant never gets up into the valve to clog it up, which is a chronic problem one has to deal with when using sealant.