Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2024, 11:33 PM

Quality kids bike

I attempted a forum search on this but the search function doesn’t seem to be working.

I’m looking for a next-step bike for my 8 year old.

The current bike is a lightweight race BMX I happened to find on OfferUp for $150.

Now we’re looking for a bike with some gears. The Salsa journeyman 24” looks fine, but at $800, a little steep.

I’m considering putting a bike together, maybe with a china-direct 24” lightweight road or gravel frame and decent rim brake group. Has anyone here done a project like that?

The only 24” wheel frames i have found so far on china-direct are mountain bike geometry with disc brakes.

And if anyone has a bike for sale that might work, let me know.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:46 AM
Vendor

https://reverebikes.com/products/lynx-24

Simple, quality, rim brake bike. If you like it, send a pm and I can send you a new one for $280 and we split shipping.

I believe I also have some 24” geared Specialized bikes on discount—will check for you later today.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:47 AM
kg

We did well with Prevelo. Friends of ours have liked Woom. I think Prevelo looks cooler. Once my son grew a bit, we got a size XXS REI mountain bike. It’s not as versatile as the Prevelo all-arounder but works for his current interests.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:58 AM

Are you looking for a mountain bike, or a road bike? I have my sons' old 24" Felt F24 with Microshift/Shimano 2x8

Last edited by Guardian; 02-15-2024 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:04 AM

Depends on what you're going for (ride around the block or actual trail riding/racing). Woom makes great bikes but fairly expensive. Islabikes are also exceptional if you can find them (pulled out of the US market in 2018?) and that's what my kids rode for 14" and 20".

If at all possible check the local used markets (Craigslist, FB marketplace, kids bike clubs/teams, etc.) especially if you want quality on a budget.

My son has a pair of 24" bikes. Giant TCX Jr (8 speed dropbar brifters Cyclocross with mechanical disks, bought used from a kids CX team) and Clearly Scout (10 speed, air fork, hydraulic discs, and on sale for $531 now and that's how I bought it). But he rides HARD and agressive and that setup would be overkill for many kids.

https://www.clearybikes.com/products...mountain-bike/

The biggest thing I'd be concerned about with a self assemble is getting the geometry right (especially crank length) as most components just aren't shaped for someone about four feet tall.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:10 AM

My daughter is on a Woom 6 24". I like everything about it except the grip shift, but it works and she gets along with it fine.

My son is on the Cleary 20" bike she passed down. He outgrew his Prevelo 16" Alpha 2.

Lots to like about the Woom and Prevelo offerings.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:12 AM

I think woom is the best kids bike. They are much lighter than nearly every other kids bike by a significant amount and come with quality components ready to ride. They offer trade up incentive. I think it’s a fair price. My daughter loves her current model 5 in anniversary red.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:15 AM

My 7 yr old, nearly 4 ft tall daughter is on a Cleary Owl. Her only complaint is the action on the shifter is really stiff. My only complaint is it is a bit heavy.

Her previous bike was a spawn. Unfortunately, current offerings are really expensive.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:20 AM

Take a look at Kids Racing out of the UK. There is a brand called HUP that makes kid-size frames around 700c wheels. They also have a number of other parts made specifically for kids dimensions, q-factor, etc.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:26 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist604 View Post
Take a look at Kids Racing out of the UK. There is a brand called HUP that makes kid-size frames around 700c wheels. They also have a number of other parts made specifically for kids dimensions, q-factor, etc.
why would you want a 700c wheel on a kids bike (assuming by kids bike, you mean a smaller frame than XS adult)?
Old 02-15-2024, 09:35 AM

Woom and Clearly are the first two brands that come to mind.

TwoWheelingTots is a great site that reviews kids bikes for all ages, not just tots.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
why would you want a 700c wheel on a kids bike (assuming by kids bike, you mean a smaller frame than XS adult)?
I've looked at the HUPs and am considering them as the next option for my son. The reason you would do this is 100% down to tire availibility. Good tires, especially road/cyclocross, are hard to come by in 24" and 26" but obviously tons in 700c. But again, that's if the kid is racing. I think the geometry of the bike is better with wheel size relative to the person on the bike (700c is great if you're 5'8" to 6'3" or thereabouts but there are compromises to frame design outside of those heights).

Below is HUPs official product copy on this:

In addition to our youth-specific components, a low standover geomentry frame using big wheels is the next important ingredient. We've pioneered the use of larger wheels on kids bikes for years and a common question is "What are the benefits of larger wheels on kids bikes?". Benefits include: performance (handling & acceleration) financial & practical;

Handling: especially in MTB & CX the larger rolling radius smooths out the terrain - rolling over problems, not in and out of them! Larger diameter wheels are also more stable (gyroscopic) improving the riders confidence.
Acceleration: lightweight 700c/27.5"/29" wheels spin up much faster than mass produced children's 24"/26", especially helpful for kids with less power. Tyres and tubes are also lighter.
Practicality: component sharing with parents and siblings - borrowing mums/dads race wheels, tyres, tubes etc - no more odd sized kit, everyone on the same size. Easier on holidays too.
Financial: they won't outgrow their 700c/27.5"/29" wheels (only a frame and cranks) so moving to a larger size frame, as they grow, can actually cost less than buying a whole new bike.
With these advantages in mind, the HUPcc range of framesets have all been developed using 700c/27.5"/29" wheelsets for riders aged approx 6 years old+

Last edited by Wunder; 02-15-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:41 AM

I can’t imagine my 10yo on a 700 wheel bike. The 24” fits like a glove and has room to grow with the flippable stem.

It came with schwalbe fast rolling knobby tires that would work great for cyclocross.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:44 AM

Is this for trail use? If so, our local NICA group has a lot of kids on Specilized Riprocks, they are $700 or thereabouts, but seem like they work well for a bunch of kids. Pretty sure every major manufacturer has a similar spec bike available. 24" bikes always get outgrown pretty quickly, so I often see good low use bikes locally around me.