Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Please explain to me how doing everything you can to lose every last bit of weight, for a weight loss competition, is not competing with integrity, if you're well within the very lose guidelines of the competition?
Hey, certainly not saying that you are cheating. Letter vs Spirt of the law and all that. I guess I assumed that the intent was about body mass (ie fat and muscle) and not hydration levels, thats on me and not you. Sorry.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Hey, certainly not saying that you are cheating. Letter vs Spirt of the law and all that. I guess I assumed that the intent was about body mass (ie fat and muscle) and not hydration levels, thats on me and not you. Sorry.
It's easy to go down the rabbit hole of "well, if the other guy is doing it, then I have to do it to stay competitive" and then we've got 22 pages on Lance Armstrong...

My apologies for being a little defensive of not wanting to get lumped in there.. At any rate, it's a percentage of total weight lost. Not body mass or anything. I know plenty of people front load with water, do varying degrees, for the better starting number -- we're all just trying to one up each other. Bragging rights and money -- and honestly i could just use the money right now..
Old 11-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
It's easy to go down the rabbit hole of "well, if the other guy is doing it, then I have to do it to stay competitive" and then we've got 22 pages on Lance Armstrong...

My apologies for being a little defensive of not wanting to get lumped in there.. At any rate, it's a percentage of total weight lost. Not body mass or anything. I know plenty of people front load with water, do varying degrees, for the better starting number -- we're all just trying to one up each other. Bragging rights and money -- and honestly i could just use the money right now..
Fair enough. Just be careful not to compromise your health. In the spirit of the game then let me, with tongue in cheek, recommend the Paris Runway Model Method®. Tape worm.

=

Old 11-16-2017, 05:48 PM

*at your own risk!*

Nooch - plastics is what you need.. aka 'sauna suits'... you should be able to get a set for $20. It will be an easy weight loss of 5lbs in one hour if you are at normal weight... not for the faint of heart. Wear a couple long sleeve shirts, some sweat pants, plastics over, and then a couple more layers of sweats on top, beanie helps too.. cover up. Sit on your trainer and just start to ride.. Ride for 10 minutes - Take a short break, keep doing it. If you do this for an hour.. you can just sit for 20 minutes afterwards and get a full cool down... warning - when you stand up, your shoes are going to get soaked. I was a competitive wrestler (world team), and this is how we did it towards the end.. at natural weight, 5 lbs was easy. Towards the end, 2lbs was a total struggle working your butt off if you had the energy! That is why mma guys miss weight by 2 lbs and people think - i could've made weight! I would do this right before work and then take a ton of water with you after you weigh in. Win your weigh in and then send me your pink hubs as gratitude! 😁

You Don't know the meaning of cutting weight if you talk about eating, someone cutting a ton of weight just thinks about fluids water/Gatorade, etc.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
*at your own risk!*

Nooch - plastics is what you need.. aka 'sauna suits'... you should be able to get a set for $20. It will be an easy weight loss of 5lbs in one hour if you are at normal weight... not for the faint of heart. Wear a couple long sleeve shirts, some sweat pants, plastics over, and then a couple more layers of sweats on top, beanie helps too.. cover up. Sit on your trainer and just start to ride.. Ride for 10 minutes - Take a short break, keep doing it. If you do this for an hour.. you can just sit for 20 minutes afterwards and get a full cool down... warning - when you stand up, your shoes are going to get soaked. I was a competitive wrestler (world team), and this is how we did it towards the end.. at natural weight, 5 lbs was easy. Towards the end, 2lbs was a total struggle working your butt off if you had the energy! That is why mma guys miss weight by 2 lbs and people think - i could've made weight! I would do this right before work and then take a ton of water with you after you weigh in. Win your weigh in and then send me your pink hubs as gratitude!

You Don't know the meaning of cutting weight if you talk about eating, someone cutting a ton of weight just thinks about fluids water/Gatorade, etc.
This is what I'm thinking. Gonna be a funny looking zwift file. But, I'm also going to try and do the two gallons tomorrow, the one gallon sat/sun, and then just "less" though probably not as restrictive monday and tuesday -- as it is, I have to work both jobs monday and tuesday, so I do need some energy to be on my feet all night at the restaurant.

And then I'll stop at work and pick up a nice double egg and cheese (or two!) on bagels for after the weigh in!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 PM

What if you just leave anonymous "gifts" of donuts and cheeseburgers on coworkers desks and such? Surely they can't eat just one
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
I don’t think folks that are doing the intermittent fast think it’s crazy. In fact they go on and on about how great they feel. Almost like vegans...Those seeking religious enlightenment certainly don’t think of it as crazy. I’d rather go without food than water any day.
Yep, got a co-worker whose been doing that for a few years and is just like a Vegan, he never ignores an opportunity to talk about it. First rule of fasting is the same as the first rule of Veganism & crossfit apparently.

The fact that he got gout and the doctors say it's a result of the fasting + food choices when he goes off the fast does not affect the enthusiasm at all.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

The fact that he got gout and the doctors say it's a result of the fasting + food choices when he goes off the fast does not affect the enthusiasm at all.
jeesus. lol.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Let me go on the record to say this is an all-around bad idea.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Just an update:

I've probably botched the whole thing because I didn't pay enough attention to carb and sodium intake over the weekend, but followed the prescribed water intake. I'm down about 4lbs +/- in that time.

That said, I'm at 13.77%. The guy who beat me out by .29% the first BL of the year is supposedly in the 14's. He also had a lunch consisting of half a liter of water and a half hour run. If there were any question about my motivations, as you can see, all is fair -- and he's taking it to more of an extreme than I.

I've got two more rides in before the weigh-in tomorrow morning -- a commute home, and then a slog on the trainer as warm as I can make myself to sweat out every last bit. Unfortunately I have a feeling that I'm still going to get edged out (again!) which frustrates me to no end, but I'm not going down without a fight.

... and I'm never doing this crap again!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
... and I'm never doing this crap again!
til next time hahah.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:10 AM

I did the same thing 5yrs ago and also got beat by 0.5% in the end, but the "winner" admitted to sitting in a sauna that morning instead of going to a work meeting we were both supposed to go to, so he later fessed up and offered to split the winnings - which I turned into a SR11 groupset (yeah for me!)

I dropped 13lbs in the last week by stopping all consumption of fluids in the last 36hrs and just sitting on the bike for hours. I would just swish water around my mouth and spit it out if I got thirsty.....seemed to work to help quench thirst. Crazy I know, but I really wanted that SR11 groupset and really did not want to lose to that guy.

Might be too late for you, but don't eat or drink anything until weigh in and just do steady time on the trainer. Bet you can drop another 3-4 lbs easily.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post

Might be too late for you, but don't eat or drink anything until weigh in and just do steady time on the trainer. Bet you can drop another 3-4 lbs easily.
but i'm really dying for that grilled chicken and broccoli i've got for lunch...

and to fuel the ride home tonight..
Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
but i'm really dying for that grilled chicken and broccoli i've got for lunch...

and to fuel the ride home tonight..
Just think of all the wonderful bread and pie we'll have Thursday morning...

Last edited by ltwtsculler91; 11-21-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwtsculler91 View Post
Just think of all the wonderful break and pie we'll have Thursday morning...
yes, the race to put on ten pounds, lol.