Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Cat 6

Matt - I just don't have the time nor the inclination to go and find Muur videos and time them to try and get to the bottom of this- work, training, and kids, life gets in the way. did fabs use a motor? it's quite possible. I can't say for sure but the circumstantial evidence makes it a possibility. I've based my beliefs on fabs strange hand gestures just before attacks, his many bike changes for no obvious mechanical problems, and that strange acceleration at PR. I'm not the only person who thinks that this is a possibility so I'm not pulling these theories out of my ass here. you or I or even the UCI will probably never get to the bottom of this, so let me have my opinion of this matter and you can have yours. I have no beef with you. don't take this personally. it's not my wish to try and solve the motor doping issue from 7 years ago. I wish someone else would

Last edited by r_mutt; 11-12-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:51 PM
Pack fill

Can we agree one fact. PG does not have any factual proof and is just taking pot shots at a World Champion. Everybody has opinions, those are different than facts.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 AM

"If true," he should step down.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 AM

I've always wondered why they don't just x-ray every winning bike once they cross the line. A grown-up version of the rollout in a Jr. race. I know, they roll to the buses, but have a referee "tag" the bike with some kind of tamper-proof label (think customs seal)

Would be quick (comparable to the ridiculous scan with iPads method) and more robust. Pretty sure you can cage the b-field from a motor with the right shielding and alloys...
Old 11-13-2017, 10:21 AM

(note - I realize this wouldn't help with the random bike changes within stages situation - and that trying to "capture" all those bikes is a logistical nightmare)
Old 11-13-2017, 10:27 AM

what if a rider/team does an on-road bike switch? amidst the chaos and swarm of, say, a tour de france, with hundreds of bikes, cars, etc., that would be a tough ask to track.

unless, for example, you put a gps device and tamper-proof seal on the post, bb, & quick release, which would be equally chaotic to enforce and implement given the scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_rock View Post
I've always wondered why they don't just x-ray every winning bike once they cross the line. A grown-up version of the rollout in a Jr. race. I know, they roll to the buses, but have a referee "tag" the bike with some kind of tamper-proof label (think customs seal)

Would be quick (comparable to the ridiculous scan with iPads method) and more robust. Pretty sure you can cage the b-field from a motor with the right shielding and alloys...

Last edited by 54ny77; 11-13-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_rock View Post

In the time it takes for the winner to pee for drug testers the wheels could be examined/weighed and the crank could be pulled to no ill affect to the bike. No clue why this is even a thing still.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
In the time it takes for the winner to pee for drug testers the wheels could be examined/weighed and the crank could be pulled to no ill affect to the bike. No clue why this is even a thing still.
Because it serves the UCI as a cheating distraction from the thing they can't actually solve: Doping.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:04 AM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Is anyone actually dumb enough to cross a finish line with a motor in the bike when they know someone is looking for one?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO View Post
Is anyone actually dumb enough to cross a finish line with a motor in the bike when they know someone is looking for one?

Is anyone dumb enough to take banned substances when they know they will be tested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 12:06 PM
ergottWheels

Aren't team cars are ushered to a specific route just before the finish? They line up, the bikes on the cars get scanned like we do at the airport. Shouldn't take more than an hour.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:42 PM
Cat 6

perhaps the truth is that the UCI or the ASO don't really want to police anything. it's expensive and "ruins" the show. imagine the negative press...

it's always been this way, no?

Sorry to sound so jaded but it's not just cycling. all big money sports are rife with cheating, doping, you name it. it's just human nature.

Last edited by r_mutt; 11-13-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Cancellara is hitting back.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/11/news...usation_451974

Having met PG on several occasions(mutual friends/adjacent social circles), he's one of the most arrogant people i've ever met. I've never liked his writing before meeting him, and definitely dislike it now.

He was on Continental teams for 6 or 7 years and two very unmemorable years on a pro tour squad. Does he have more experience than me as a pro racer? Obviously. Is he a seasoned pro tour cycling pro? Hardly.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
In the time it takes for the winner to pee for drug testers the wheels could be examined/weighed...
this is really the simplicity of it. it would be no major feat to know within 100 grams what each team bike should weigh. a motor, of any variety, has to weigh more than that. if the bike is over the allowable range, it gets further inspection. maybe they do this already, I don't know.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:29 PM

This is all funny stuff. If the UCI, or any other sports governing body wanted to solve doping, no matter the kind of doping they could. But they won't/don't.