Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 02:43 PM

Wish you were my size; you could borrow one of mine until your new one arrives. In the meantime, keep an eye on CL and eBay for your Serotta. A buddy of mine got his back that way. And post a pic of it here so we can all do the same.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 PM

That sucks, sorry to hear about that. In your shoes, I would get two nice used bikes. I am not into the modern features like press fit BB and disc brakes and I would second the recommendation on a C59 and maybe a quality steel like a Tommasini Sentesi or Tecno, De Rosa Primato
Old 11-20-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
That sucks, sorry to hear about that. In your shoes, I would get two nice used bikes. I am not into the modern features like press fit BB and disc brakes and I would second the recommendation on a C59 and maybe a quality steel like a Tommasini Sentesi or Tecno, De Rosa Primato
My first thought was to just head into my garage pick out an old loved bike... like my C40, and get a new group for it.

But that's not the way the replacement cost insurance works. For example I get something like $1,700 now and when I show an invoice and proof of payment for a new $9,700 bike they send my the remaining $8,000.

SO I'm kinda pushed into buying new replacement bikes.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:21 PM

So sorry to hear that happened. Might be worth going to a place like Above Category or another cool shop, looking around to get a feel for the fun new stuff! Find a mechanic or shop owner that knows their stuff, talk through some boutique options.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMiller View Post
So sorry to hear that happened. Might be worth going to a place like Above Category or another cool shop, looking around to get a feel for the fun new stuff! Find a mechanic or shop owner that knows their stuff, talk through some boutique options.
Yes I was going to drop in on them, A Bicycle Odyssey and Bespoke next pass thru the San Francisco area to see whats up.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abguff View Post
My first thought was to just head into my garage pick out an old loved bike... like my C40, and get a new group for it.

But that's not the way the replacement cost insurance works. For example I get something like $1,700 now and when I show an invoice and proof of payment for a new $9,700 bike they send my the remaining $8,000.

SO I'm kinda pushed into buying new replacement bikes.
Ahh I see. Well a C40 is a pretty nice fall back! Boy that will be a pretty fun shopping spree!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Ahh I see. Well a C40 is a pretty nice fall back! Boy that will be a pretty fun shopping spree!

I know! I'll miss that Serotta but it's like Santa came and took my old bikes and told me to go get new ones for Christmass.. LOL
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
My garage was broken into and they got my Serotta Ottrott, a custom cross bike and a Mt bike.

I’m not too worried about replacing the off road bikes but I do need to hunt down a solid replacement for the Serotta. I’ll miss that one ☹. I’m insured for current replacement cost so I’d guess I have about a $9,500 budget for the road bike.

Although I have been racing/riding bikes all my life; over the past 7-10 years I have not kept up with the bike industry and I no longer know who may be the go-to builders for a bike like a Serotta. I’m not going to race again so comfort is just a little more important than performance. Seven years ago I would have just ran out to get a Parlee but that technology has been around for a while and while I’m sure they still make great bikes I wonder what else is out there.

I’d want to stay away from things like Specialized, Giant and Trek they just don’t touch my soul. For mainstream bikes I could see a Colnago or BMC but I’m much more likely to pick something like Alchemy for carbon or Mosaic for Ti. Although in my area the Mosaic dealer isn’t a shop I’d do business with… I was bummed about that!

I do have a custom IF Crown Jewel from about 10 years ago so my Ti itch isn’t as itchy as my carbon itch. Although, a Ti gravel bike may replace both the cross and MT Bike.

Anyway I’m just looking for information as to what builders out there today build solid carbon or Ti bikes and can actually deliver within say 3 months.
http://www.breakawaybikes.co/

Go talk to them about Moots.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:09 AM

I think the closest replacement to an Ottrott would be a Carbon / Ti Firefly or the equivalent Seven. The Firefly will be about 18 month wait, the Seven 8 weeks.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:30 AM

That sucks man. Sounds like you want to go custom and you have the budget for it. I can't say enough about Moots and I know you don't seem interested in the big names but I got a Cannondale Synapse a couple years ago and it perfectly fits in that x-racer-wants-a-more-comfort-but-still-fast bike motif. I only do a couple of races a year now and it's good enough for that as it's well suited to all day riding too.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 AM
ZhugeLiang

I would not rush the delivery process.

That Ottrott was special because it was done right and custom made for you.

It would be unfair to the next builder who is asked to deliver to the same expectations but with constraints.

I am sure there are builders out there who can deliver a quality product at a shorter time-frame.

There's a reason why the very best frame builders like David Kirk and Richard Sachs have a waiting list.

A Crumpton, perhaps, would be a good replacement for the Ottrott.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:56 AM
bourbon!

Agreed on the Curmpton. Really hard to beat that.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
My garage was broken into and they got my Serotta Ottrott, a custom cross bike and a Mt bike.
Really sorry to hear that. If you wanted a lovable low-cost bike in the meantime, look to a Black Mountain.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:16 PM

Went out today and looked at N22, Mosaic, Seven and Baum.

Baum bikes are beautiful but I just don't see $9,000 of value in that frame v. an N22. The Mosaics were nice too... the seat stays almost looked delicate (small diameter) compared to others.

Seven may be the best bike for me but I just can't seem to get over the S bend chain stays.

The bike shop owner that had Seven & N22 said Seven would be more vertically compliant. I do trust that guy I have known him for 15 years and help him (accounting and business advice) buy his shop. BUT THOSE DAM "S" BENDS!!! LOL

The N22 is my kind of bike; simple tubes no screwing around. I'm leaning that way for Ti I think.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post

A Crumpton, perhaps, would be a good replacement for the Ottrott.
Nice to see he is made a go of it. I met him at the handbuilt bike show in San Jose years ago when he just started.

The frames look great then and I'm sure they have only become better.