Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM

Voekler is riding as well as he did last time not better IMO its the others in the field that are slower. Makes me wonder about the loss of some of the other contenders early on. Horner may indeed done well
Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM

It would be great if TV did win, but it's too early to tell at this point. Those alpine stages are monsters.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele
head says no, heart says yes!!!

at least the TT at the end of the Tour is shortish, that increases his chances if he can hang in the mountains. I wouldnt be surprised if he starts to get some French allies in the Alps too.
+ 1 one for the french
cheers
Old 07-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Post Mod-ern

As far as I am concerned . . .

. . . he has already won just through what he has done so far with grit, determination, and the ongoing modesty he has shown in his public comments.

But despite those public comments, it would not surprise me if he is saying inside . . . "****in'-A I'm gonna show THEM!"

He deserves to win it. And that' s a lot more than I can say for many others in the race.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 07-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Made in Belgium

I just read an interview from him where he says he has zero chance to win the TDF. Modesty or is he realistic? I can't wait for the Alps!

I like Voeckler a lot. At least he has panache (Gilbert as well) unlike the favorites we were all expecting in the Pyrenées. All they did were timid so called attacks and to look at each other.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmo
Why not? He surprised everyone by hanging with Schleck/Schleck, Basso, Evans, and Contador in the Pyranees.
Because for all the bluster about it, the top GC contenders are keeping a fair bit of their powder dry for the stages in the Alps. Voelcker and Europcar have been doing everything they can just to hang onto the jersey, which the other guys are still like two prizefighters just trading early jabs.

I just don't see how it happens.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC
I just don't see how it happens.
The odds are not in his favor but I'm that much more excited to watch this week just to see TV et les gars try to make it happen.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerescuefin
Steady improvement over 7 years and battling to keep the yellow is a lot easier to buy than almost dead to a one balled 7 time TdF winner.

As the forum's Lance-o-phile, I thought you would appreciate TV's efforts this year.

I've always loved TV for his grit, but that don't mean he was doping with Lance and the rest of the peloton in 04 or now for that matter.

He is a great rider but he has no chance of winning the Tour this year or any year. No shame in that. There can be only one.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM

I would love to see him win, nice to see an underdog making it. But I think once real attacks on the Alps come, he will not be able to respond. He will try to minimize his damages, but I can't see him hanging with Contador or Andy if they are really going balls out
Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 AM

Voeckler climbed the Plateau de Beille in 45:56, over four minutes faster than he did in 2004. He defended the yellow jersey both times. Impressive stuff.

Contador, however, was nearly two minutes slower this year than 2007, when he won on the Plateau de Beille in 44:08.

We saw last year that an in-form Andy Schleck climbs as well as Contador. So we can assume that Andy was holding back on the Plateau this year.

I think Andy will bury everybody in the Alps. The real excitement will be the final TT.

Interestingly, Evans was just four seconds faster this year than in 2007. And Basso was 30 seconds slower than in 2004. Doping considerations aside, that's pretty consistent.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave
. . . all the way.

Do you believe in miracles?
I belive in miracles
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Post Mod-ern

Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A
I will have to ask Pete if it's possible to ban a fellow moderator!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Pretty neat stats.

I think it is unfortunate the Voeckler dismisses the idea he can win. It is pretty hard to overcome that kind of mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon
Voeckler climbed the Plateau de Beille in 45:56, over four minutes faster than he did in 2004. He defended the yellow jersey both times. Impressive stuff.

Contador, however, was nearly two minutes slower this year than 2007, when he won on the Plateau de Beille in 44:08.

We saw last year that an in-form Andy Schleck climbs as well as Contador. So we can assume that Andy was holding back on the Plateau this year.

I think Andy will bury everybody in the Alps. The real excitement will be the final TT.

Interestingly, Evans was just four seconds faster this year than in 2007. And Basso was 30 seconds slower than in 2004. Doping considerations aside, that's pretty consistent.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keevon

It is just really hard to compare these times from year to year, though. At least, that's my opinion. The race leading up to it (both the stage and the weeks before) are different. What others are doing and where you are relative to them is different. I don't think it's quite like comparing average speeds for flat time trials of similar lengths, where you might be able to make a good comparison. Here, I just think there are too many variables.

Nevertheless, the stats are interesting to ponder and I agree that the Alps will be fun to watch.