Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 03:32 PM

Question for those in Portland, OR

Hi guys and gals,

I'm thinking of traveling to Portland, OR at the end of Sept and beginning of Oct. I was wondering how the weather for cycling especially in areas west/northwest of Portland, OR (Hillsboro to Vernonia)? Also would staying east of the Williamette River be good if I just wanted to bike around to places? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:35 PM
aka RAEKWON

I dunno what the weather will be like but I was just there a month ago and the weather was amazing. But I did live in the PNW for 5 years 4 years ago (Seattle to be precise) and the weather out there is amazing for summer and rainy for the rest of the year normally, but rain is not really what rain is in say, NY or the south.... its kind of a sprinkle, totally fine to ride in IMO.

Oregon has amazing ridding and there tons of amazing rides out of Hillsboro
Old 09-07-2016, 03:41 PM

End of Sept, beginning of Oct is awesome riding around here. The real rain doesn't start until Nov so you'll get showers and wet roads with cool starts then gradually warming up. The fall colors are in full swing and anything out in NW is going to be real pretty.
Tons of good riding out of Hillsboro in all directions. You picked a great time of year to come out to PDX.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 PM

It'll be a crap shoot. Might be gorgeous, might suck mightily.

If you're there on the weekend of 10/8, stop by the North Warehouse for the Oregon Handmade Bike and Beer Fest. I'll be showing there...
Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
It'll be a crap shoot. Might be gorgeous, might suck mightily.

If you're there on the weekend of 10/8, stop by the North Warehouse for the Oregon Handmade Bike and Beer Fest. I'll be showing there...
that looks pretty cool! unfortunately I'm going to be there the week before if I decide to go
Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Agree its a crap shoot and cool rainy weather seems to be starting early this year. Bring layers and rain gear.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 PM

Never a bad day for a ride in and around Portland...as long as you're dressed for the conditions.

Give me a shout we'll go for a ride while you're in town.

KRhea
Old 09-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Daniel

+1 - handbuilt bike show and weather is rolling the dice
Old 09-09-2016, 05:26 PM
The B!

I am up in Saint Helens and ride the hills between Vernonia and Portland - Tualatin range and north, and am intimately familiar with all the wonderfully void, endlessly paved, beautifully desolate mega epic country roads in between... and am always happy to show them off to folks. I'm happy to give you the scoop, shoot you a Strava route, or even ride with you if schedules line up

Weather..... maybe be super righteous, like 75 and partly sunny skies? Or could be grim and dank. We never know a week ahead of time, but lately it's been DRY. Two years worth of dry fall/winters, followed by one crazy wet, but short winter (last winter), and now we're borderline drought again. I kinda feel like its gonna be another dry winter.

-B
Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 PM

We were just out there for week and half and it was dry as a bone. Granted we skipped town and went into Central, OR around Sisters area (OMG it was beautiful) but like DeadDude said it is more than likely going to be dry which equates to pretty badaxx terrain to ride in.........hope you enjoy your visit