Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Alles klar Herr Kommissar

How far do you sit behind the BB?

Just curious as to where people sit.

The tip of my saddle is roughly 6-7cm behind the crank bolt. Feels good. Much further back starts to get to the knees.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:14 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

i'm at nearly 72cm saddle-bb (saddle height)
and my setback is about 52mm.

you'll need 3 websites to discern anything
based on another rider's sit position with
respect to yours imho cheers.

Last edited by e-RICHIE; 01-21-2006 at 12:33 PM. Reason: manet-mania
Old 01-21-2006, 12:17 PM

Jeff - always been about 7cm behind / 75.5 saddle height. -Matt
Old 01-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Alles klar Herr Kommissar

very close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barkley
Jeff - always been about 7cm behind / 75.5 saddle height. -Matt
My saddle height is about 74cm.

E-ritchie: agreed. Just curious since its winter.

I also want a non-goofy looking seatpost with 20mm of setback ... PMP?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:33 PM

I'm always the king of setback

My saddle height is 77cm and the tip of my saddle is 95mm behind the center of bb. It used to be more. TK tried to move me forward even more when he fit me for my custom, but after many months of trying to adapt, I slid it back in increments until it felt ok. This is where I ended up. My knee isn't as far behind the bb as you'd think - not more than a couple of cm.

-Ray
Old 01-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Jeff, since the shape / length of saddles vary, wouldn’t the more useful dimension be the horizontal distance between the BB and where your sit bones rest on the saddle?

Louis
Old 01-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
My saddle height is 77cm and the tip of my saddle is 95mm behind the center of bb. It used to be more. TK tried to move me forward even more when he fit me for my custom, but after many months of trying to adapt, I slid it back in increments until it felt ok. This is where I ended up. My knee isn't as far behind the bb as you'd think - not more than a couple of cm.

-Ray
Ray,

Just curious; where did TK suggest you should be?

FWIW, I am at 77.5cm high x 8cm behinnd BB
Old 01-21-2006, 01:07 PM

75 height
7.2 setback
Old 01-21-2006, 01:14 PM
MikeM

I have a saddle height of 847mm and sit 110mm behind the BB. Last few years been sat 90mm behind the BB (ot get the saddle clamp in the middle of the rails required a zero offset post ) but having moved it back it feels much better - can develop much more power an cadence up climbs, it just took me a while to get used to it.

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 01:17 PM

I'm at a 80-cm saddle height, with the tip 52 mm behind the BB.

One does what one does best.

"Life is like a bicycle.
To Keep your balance you must keep moving."
A. Einstein, Feb. 5, 1930

Last edited by Chief; 01-21-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:27 PM

787 mm saddle height, 107 mm behind BB
Old 01-21-2006, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
Ray,

Just curious; where did TK suggest you should be?

FWIW, I am at 77.5cm high x 8cm behinnd BB
Kirk,

He didn't give me a number, but by the time he finished messing around with my position and I measured it at the most forward point, it was a about 85mm back. He'd moved me up and forward in increments and I ultimately slid it back in increments as well. More forward than where I am now, I find that I have too much weight on my hands and get very uncomfortable on rides longer than about 50-60 miles. In my current position, I can ride pretty much until my legs fall off without any other discomfort. He talked me through the whole process, BTW. He knew he was moving me waaay forward of where I'd been and designed the frame to allow for considerable back-tracking. I was at the forward edge of the range he designed around and now I'm roughly in the sweet spot, with room to go back if I needed to. He thought the process of fine-tuning went about the way it should.

So maybe I'm not the king of setback. I see a couple of folks with 107 and 110mm, so maybe I'm just on the high side. I was up in that range before being fit for the Spectrum though.

-Ray

Last edited by Ray; 01-21-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:56 PM
aka Terry Keele

Kellog put me there
Old 01-21-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Kirk,

He didn't give me a number, but by the time he finished messing around with my position and I measured it at the most forward point, it was a about 85mm back. He'd moved me up and forward in increments and I ultimately slid it back in increments as well. More forward than where I am now, I find that I have too much weight on my hands and get very uncomfortable on rides longer than about 50-60 miles. In my current position, I can ride pretty much until my legs fall off without any other discomfort. He talked me through the whole process, BTW. He knew he was moving me waaay forward of where I'd been and designed the frame to allow for considerable back-tracking. I was at the forward edge of the range he designed around and now I'm roughly in the sweet spot, with room to go back if I needed to. He thought the process of fine-tuning went about the way it should.

So maybe I'm not the king of setback. I see a couple of folks with 107 and 110mm, so maybe I'm just on the high side. I was up in that range before being fit for the Spectrum though.

-Ray
Ray,

This is pretty much what I had expected. It's a great example of how builder and client can work together to make a rational design that will accommodate a considerable range of adjustment.

As far as set back goes, it's not really productive to about the "number" when we all ride different bikes / sizes, etc. The first time I measured mine, I thought 8cm was a LOT, but it's really just right. The saddle is at the right height, the post (off-set) attaches in the middle of the rails, and I feel good on the bike, what else matters?

I like some of Peter White's ideas on bike fitting: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 01-21-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:26 PM

Saddles vary in length..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg
Just curious as to where people sit.

The tip of my saddle is roughly 6-7cm behind the crank bolt. Feels good. Much further back starts to get to the knees.
and in the distance from the tip to the sitbone contact area, so a saddle tip to BB measurement really means nothing, except for one particular brand of saddle.

I should also add the obvious fact that alrger riders with higher saddles will tend to have the tip of the saddle further back. The center of the seatpost clamp moves back about 1cm for each 3cm that it's raised.

Now a KOP comparison might be meaningful. FWIW, I've tried everything from KOP to 3cm back and I can make any position in between work. The further forward position favors a higher cadence/lower torque pedaling style. Further back may work better for slower cadence guys or those trying to climb mountains with a lowest gear that's too high.

Last edited by Dave; 01-22-2006 at 08:56 AM.