Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM

Campy Athena 11 and what wheels?

Guys,

I have a 7-11 colored Merckx Corsa 8 spd that I think I am going to modernize... ie Athena 11 alloy.

First: thoughts? keep the 8 spd. Save more $$$ for new frame w/ modern campy?

2nd: what wheels would you reccomend? something handbuilt? I like durable, low maintenace, lighter the better.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 07:11 PM

It depends of your pocket, easton wheels are really good and reliable. if you dont care about weight too much but u want something reliable that looks good and basically no maintenance i would recomend miche wheels, specially the miche connect, a guy is selling a pair in 250 bucks that is really a bargain because those new go for 600 bucks. I have a pair and the wheels rock, similar to mavics but even the spokes arent proprietary (flat spokes) so if you snap one (thing i doubt it will happen ever) is just go and get one in any store. Hubs are super easy to open too, to allen tools and ready to go.

In general it depends of your pockets man, people is offering wheels right now here, I would look to them if i was you.

good luck
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 PM

Hard Anodized H Plus Son TB-14 for clincher
http://hplusson.com/index.php?/tb14/

Ambrosio Excellight is also good for clincher

Ambrosio Nemesis for tubs. Dorman does a nice build with WI hubs for a good price.

I ride velocity aerohead to dura ace handbuilts from the one and only Joe Young, and they are the best wheels I've ever ridden. I think they look great on classic steel...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Georama garage door small.jpg (84.0 KB, 131 views)
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 PM

Yes, I know my wheel options were endless... I guess I should of said if I should go with something handbuilt or machine made? I want to keep the old look, so I want to find the perfect balance between modern technology with the 'old' steel look.

Also, If I wanted to go handbuilt what silver/chrome hubs can currently run campy 11?

budget would be G.

Was really just curious also if anyone was riding Athena 11 with old steel (and if so what wheels there were running)

Cheers
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm riding Athena-11 Alloy on my Colnago Master Moltini. I built wheels using the older silver Record hubs (they work perfectly with 11 speed) laced to (discontinued) blue OP's. Perfectamundo. Be prepared to pay a premium for silver 10-11 speed compatible Record hubs though. Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 08-25-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Cat 666

i was running campy sciroccos. if i did it over, i'd probably get silver circus monkeys to either hard ano tb14s or maybe even polished sl42s.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 PM

Campy Neutrons would make a nice choice. Still have a traditional look.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:58 PM

I would highly recommend a pair of white industries or similar hubs laced to HED or velocity 23mm rims. Exquisted handling and comfort paired with traditional looks. Around the 1500gm mark. Have them on my Merckx EX with athena.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 AM

On the factory side of wheel choices, you could think about the silver version of the campy zonda... would match the aesthetic nicely, and not break the bank. It is a great wheelset for the money.

Other than that, I'd say find some silver centaur/chorus/record campy hubs from 2006 or earlier, and some mavic open pro rims...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by swithouski
Guys,

I have a 7-11 colored Merckx Corsa 8 spd that I think I am going to modernize... ie Athena 11 alloy.

First: thoughts? keep the 8 spd. Save more $$$ for new frame w/ modern campy?

2nd: what wheels would you reccomend? something handbuilt? I like durable, low maintenace, lighter the better.

Thanks
On that frame, Record hubs, Ambrosio clinchers or tubualars or DT clinchers, silver spokes.

If you want silver hubs. Miche or perhaps the new CK Campagnolo compatible ones. Or look for some NOS Record/Chorus/Centaur made from 1999 thru 2006.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-26-2011 at 07:48 AM.