Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM
banana

Riding around Nashville?

What are the roads and the riding like around Nashville please?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Natchez Trace!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 PM

What area of town are you in? If your near Rutherford County or Murfreesboro I can point you in the right direction. West End of Nashville is pretty good too.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 AM
banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.wms
What area of town are you in? If your near Rutherford County or Murfreesboro I can point you in the right direction. West End of Nashville is pretty good too.
Thanks! Thinking about taking a trip there to ride during the day and hear music at night. I wouldn't have any particular starting point. Seems like the weather would be nice in April. Is it worth doing? Where to ride?
Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 AM

Cycling is pretty popular around here. You will find most folks riding south of Nashville. If you're just visiting and need a place to ride for a day or two, then I'm with the previous poster and recommend the Natchez Trace.

If you are near downtown, stop in Cumberland Transit on West End and they'll point you in the right direction. www.cumberlandtransit.com

Other good sources-

http://www.harpethbikeclub.com/
www.nashvillecyclist.com
Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capybaras
Thanks! Thinking about taking a trip there to ride during the day and hear music at night. I wouldn't have any particular starting point. Seems like the weather would be nice in April. Is it worth doing? Where to ride?
I wouldn't make a special trip just to ride, but listen to music- now that's a different story...
Old 03-19-2009, 07:02 AM

I would say the best place to start is Percy Warner Park. The main enterence is at the top of Bel Mede Blvd where the cherry trees are in full bloom. This place is the absolute Mecca of Nasville cycling. There are miles and miles of fantastic training loops free of traffic. This is the absolute best time to visit Nashville. For extended route maps stop in at Gran Fondo Cycles (its very close to the park). Google them and you'll get a load of infomation from their website. And, if you are into Bluegrass, and want to meet the ghost of Bill Monroe, check out The Station Inn. Cheers!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM

+1 on Deleroy.

Id definetly visit Gran Fondo. Great Review from BKW One of the best shops in the country. The Warner parks are really nice, and you will certainly run into others that can point your around town.

I really like the Rutherford County roads, but alot of it is nostalgia. I have really done the bulk of my road riding. They are nice roads, and traffic free, but are further out from the city and probably not as nice as the West End ish roads. If you'd like for me to draw up some routes, I can. Id suggest calling Gran Fondo and asking about their maps first.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
banana

Awesome advice! Thanks very much!

P.S. Any music tips? Locals the rest of us wouldn't know about?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM

+ 1 on Station Inn.

Saw Ralph, Del and others there about 10 years ago. Great place and some ghosts. Go hang in the back room of Tootsies for the ghost of Roger Miller and Ira Louvin and others... just for a few minutes. Go to the Ryman if you can if anyone decent is playing and worth the cash. Check the local rags for specific shows. Not sure what clubs are still open. Haven't been there in a few years. 12th and Porter was always cool and Exit Inn for bigger medium draw acts. Clubs depend on your fancy and taste. Eat at Jack's Bar B Que at least once for post ride protein. SATCO was always good for a snack too.

Oh, and if the Sidemen still play once a week at Station Inn go check them out. Baddasses all of them. Especially Terry Eldridge. Man is the closest thing around to Bobby Osborne. Haven't heard his new band The Grascals cause i'm pretty out of touch with new stuff and if it is new grass i may not care much too..... IMNSHO.

Oh and if you get the chance, go eat pub food or breakfast food at Rotier's. Killer shakes/malts too.

One time our buddy spilled one on the table and got out his straw and slurped it up. No kidding. He felt that strongly about it.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
bonhomie

I'd go South of Davidson (County) for riding. Check with Henry Ambrose of Harpeth Bikes in Franklin for route info.

Personally I don't care to ride within 50 miles of Nashville. I'm traffic shy.

But as an officer of the Murfreesboro Bike Club (just east of Nasty) I have to say check out their wonky little board for info and don't hesitate to post.

Great rolling hills to the west of Nasty, but I don't know how safe the roads are out there. I'm on the East side where it's flat until you get past Murfreesboro.

I like roads with no painted lines or those with paint and very little traffic. They're all over-once you move away from population centers. Dogs a plenty and don't ride after 5pm on Fri/Sat.

Topographically (or is it geographically) speaking, Nashville is located in the Nashville Basin-which is flat to rolling terrain until you move East or West onto the Highland Rim. Further East is the Cumberland Plateau. Then the Escarpment, and then the Mountains-as you continue eastward. One must go East for true climbs.

put that in yer TN travel guide.

Station Inn-yup.

linky dinks:

http://www.mborobike.com/

http://www.harpethbikeclub.com/

http://www.veloteers.org/

Last edited by WadePatton; 03-19-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Ryman Auditorium

Bluebird Cafe is a must- (don't worry if you don't know the performers, you will know their songs)

Printers' Alley (Downtown)- fun to listen to some karaoke. If you're trying your hand at a song, you'd better bring it. These ain't your average karaoke joints.

Broadway and other Downtown spots- When a big time name needs to feed their ego (which is often) they're likely to pop up just about any bar for multiple beverages and a song or two.

Schermerhorn Symphony- a world class facility