Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Really nice looking bike.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:05 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

same general shape as the tarmac, emonda, and new cervelo.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:50 PM

FWIW, Hetchins is the earliest dropped seat stay/triple triangle I can think of. [Image from Bike Recyclery]
Old 08-08-2020, 03:02 PM

I like it! It's a cool, clone bike.

It's interesting how they use carbon dimensions on Ti bike. I'm curious what the ride is like.

I'm thinking it's 5 watts better than my traditional Ti bikes.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
FWIW, Hetchins is the earliest dropped seat stay/triple triangle I can think of. [Image from Bike Recyclery]
Now I know we're Gary Turner got the triple triangle idea from.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:14 PM

Having done way too much research on titanium frames for my next gravel bike build, I instantly recognized this frame - it's made by Hanglun in China (who I believe also make the Airborne, Van Nicholas, and presumably J Guillem frames).

They call it their R9: https://www.facebook.com/hangluntita...74854830094798

I recall seeing someone had asked about direct pricing and it was $1118 USD, making Bossi's $5500 AUD (~$3850 USD) frameset price quite the markup...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100069655_1281669682196976_5618375994118242304_o.jpg (64.5 KB, 383 views)
Old 08-08-2020, 03:58 PM

Talk about I spy outta my left eye....

Amazing sleuthing!

That polished ti looks awesome.

Edit: on their website it looks like they manufacture custom for Sarto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazoo View Post
Having done way too much research on titanium frames for my next gravel bike build, I instantly recognized this frame - it's made by Hanglun in China (who I believe also make the Airborne, Van Nicholas, and presumably J Guillem frames).

I recall seeing someone had asked about direct pricing and it was $1118 USD, making Bossi's $5500 AUD (~$3850 USD) frameset price quite the markup...
Old 08-08-2020, 04:42 PM

I knew Hanglun had titanium forks, but I didn’t realize they were going to offer a titanium fork for their “aero” bike.

I want to try it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9CE7CEB7-03F7-4C8E-A3F3-6CB946214551.jpeg (13.5 KB, 366 views)
Old 08-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazoo View Post

If they are indeed making it for Bossi, they are using some different tubing, dropouts and shaping. The Bossi, if I were buying it I'd be disappointed by the BB welds.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 PM

No way it's the same. Look at the fork/head tube situation, different.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
No way it's the same. Look at the fork/head tube situation, different.
It sure doesn't look like the same frame, in terms of tube shapes, ht, fork, a lot of the details..

The Bossi from their site:

The Hanglun from their site:
Old 08-08-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voir dire View Post
It sure doesn't look like the same frame, in terms of tube shapes, ht, fork, a lot of the details..
Correct- it’s a totally different bike however Bossi probably outsource everything apart from paint design to the Far East.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_hudson View Post
Quoted price is in Aus $$$. After currency conversion, very competitive at the upper end of market where they seem to be aiming (frame = $4k US).

Is visually interesting but would be curious to learn more from a tech-savvy person on their approach to fabrication. Ti castings? Welds apparently away from the traditional tube junctions? Last but not least, how the fab is actually happening (Cyclingtips mentions Bossi does design but outsources fab)?

Kinda like Stelbel in a way. Definitely scratches a different kind of itch but doesn't have the documented technical chops or experience of Moots, Baum, Bixxis. That doesn't mean Bossi or Stelbel are bad of course.

Good point.
J Guillem, Bossi, Curve, Bearclaw outsource all to Far East. But I give them credit for being innovative and pushing the design envelope with creative shapes (Bossi) or tire clearance (Bearclaw).
You can see the common matrix in all of them by the gross welds, curved stays and same polish.
And although the frames are v good there are compromises from the lack of internal routing (bearclaw and curve) to limited tire clearance (Bossi Grit) to the infamous pressfit (J Guillem).

Stelbel outsources the production mainly to one pretty established Italian manufacturer with all the pros and cons associated with it. I had one frame from them and in the process of potentially getting a second. As I said sometime I wish I dealt with the manufacturer directly myself but on the other they are not just outsourcing entirely but they have a very strong input in the design, tube shape and proprietary parts (chainstays, brake mounts, dropouts etc). And because of their input I feel that Italian steel and titanium bikes have again caught up with modernity (T47, interval routing, tapered headtubes etc).
Old 08-09-2020, 05:52 AM

T-Lab is manipulating tube shapes as complex or more so then these guys, using North American Ti and with far more experience.

I will admit to bias as I own a T-Lab and it is by far the most exceptional bicycle I have ever ridden.

But I see nothing new here and am somewhat surprised at CT not mentioning T-Lab’s innovation in titanium tube shaping.

With all that said, I hope they have tremendous success. As far as I’m concerned, we can’t have too many bike companies nor can we have too many bikes.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:32 AM
Junior since 05

Does not work for me. Looks like rendering/photoshopping gone wrong. Oups wrong material swatch... For me titanium frames are more or less manipulated (based on round shaped) tubes joined by beautiful welds. Takes away the classic and timeless aspect of the ’magic’ metal.