Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I think the Ford Maverick is your modern day version of this. It's smaller than it looks in the photo and appears to be quite a useful vehicle for very light truck duties. The hybrid version is quite efficient as well from what I understand. Too bad it doesn't appear to be available in a short cab, long bed version.

Close friend of mine has a Maverick hybrid, he's only 5 mpg behind his Prius on his commuting schedule, which is impressive.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:29 AM

Heavy electric vehicles plow through standard guard rails:
https://apnews.com/article/electric-...6dd9357f663fce

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
If I were king for a day...

I realize that in the US we have crash safety standards for a reason, but I really think they should be revisited and rejiggered.

I believe if we didnt have such prescriptive standards that manufacturers needed to adhere to, there would be a strong market for very small electric pickups and SUVs. It opens up more range, maneuverability, parking space, etc to have smaller vehicles on the road.

I feel like if Toyota made these exact trucks again with electric motors, and a super affordable price, they would sell like hotcakes and serve their owners very well.

Old 02-19-2024, 09:10 AM

That picture puts a smile to my face!! Agree with the statement especially if it's available in AWD.
Old 02-19-2024, 10:48 AM
n - 1

It’s nice to daydream but in reality, no one’s going to buy a barebones truck like that old Toyota. They sell mini trucks all over the world but there’s a reason why they don’t bring it to the US. Emissions/safety standards, but also, no one wants it. That’s why they’re not pushing the IMV0 to the States.

I’d like to think I’d love driving a barebones truck daily. Like I used to daydream about restoring an FJ. Reality is, I like modern amenities and safety equipment, better MPG and ride that won’t shake every bone loose. Oh, and much better reliability.

Maverick is about the best we’re going to get, if you want a small truck.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
It’s nice to daydream but in reality, no one’s going to buy a barebones truck like that old Toyota. They sell mini trucks all over the world but there’s a reason why they don’t bring it to the US. Emissions/safety standards, but also, no one wants it. That’s why they’re not pushing the IMV0 to the States.

I’d like to think I’d love driving a barebones truck daily. Like I used to daydream about restoring an FJ. Reality is, I like modern amenities and safety equipment, better MPG and ride that won’t shake every bone loose. Oh, and much better reliability.

Maverick is about the best we’re going to get, if you want a small truck.
Aren't there also US trade restrictions on non US trucks?
Old 02-19-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Don't think so.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxv...-larger-trucks
Old 02-19-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
Thanks!
Old 02-19-2024, 11:37 AM

I once had an unpainted stainless steel Independent Fabrication. Was told it would not rust, then it showed tiny rust spots. Then was told it’s just on surface and wipe them off. They always came back. Looked like crap. Might structurally sound but I’d be pissed if my new truck had them. They should have made it out of titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Check where you get your 'news' as you'e been another victim of FakeNewsBook.

Tesla has used a proprietary ultra-hard 30X cold-rolled stainless steel alloy for the Cybertruck. Despite those who may think otherwise, the Cybertruck’s stainless steel body, like all cars, still requires regular care to maintain its appearance, and in this case, it is no different.

What is happening here is that surface contamination, the most popular theory being rail dust, is sitting on the body panels of the Cybertruck. Since it is stainless steel, the surface contamination is reacting with the alloy, resulting in the formation of these tiny rust spots.

This isn’t going to cause any long term damage, and these tiny rust deposits can be easily wiped off. According to Cybertruck Lead Engineer Wes Morrill, using products such as Bar Keeper’s Friend can remove the spots, or citrisurf77 can loosen the deposit and you can simply wipe these spots away.

So in the end the Cybertruck isn’t rusting, but tiny rust spots are forming due to a surface contamination sitting on the body panels. If you happen to live in an area with these sort of contaminants, then simply clean your Cybertruck, just like you would be doing with any other car you own.
Old 02-19-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff_duffy View Post
Might structurally sound but I’d be pissed if my new truck had them. They should have made it out of titanium
Why won't you believe the world's biggest hype man?
Old 02-19-2024, 12:02 PM

Still missing in my neck of the woods. Kind of a "back to the future" of the truck variety.
Old 02-19-2024, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=LadyDog;3353416]Still missing in my neck of the woods. Kind of a "back to the future" of the truck variety.[/QUOTE]

It reminds me of something that would have been seen in Blade Runner. To me that’s the clear inspiration. This was over 40 years ago. As you mention, it also has DeLorean lines to it as well.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
As for the poorly aligned panels, this isn’t surprising due to the properties of stainless steel shaping.
From all the reviews I have seen, poorly aligned panels are a standard feature with Teslas regardless of material used. Seems to be improving year by year but still nowhere close to the tolerances of the major manufacturers.

https://www.greencarfuture.com/elect...nel-gap-issues

Tim
Old 02-19-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
And just think of the orange weathering as a patina, much like a copper roof ages when it turns green.
Wait, the pretty truck won't always be shiny?

There's going to be a lot of service managers saying "yep, they all do that!"

..."didn't the sales guy tell you?"

Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-19-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
From all the reviews I have seen, poorly aligned panels are a standard feature with Teslas regardless of material used. Seems to be improving year by year but still nowhere close to the tolerances of the major manufacturers.

https://www.greencarfuture.com/elect...nel-gap-issues

Tim
It has definitely been a complaint, especially among early adopters. My Model Y thankfully hasn’t had any of these issues, and I looked for them. But I don’t deny that for many buyers it has been a problem for which there is no excuse at this price point.

That said, the Cybertruck will have more of them due to the properties of stainless. Probably not a great material for a motor vehicle. But hey, nobody asked me. I’d like to see one in the wild to have a judgement but when I saw it in the showroom I liked it more than I expected to. But as said above, I’m not a truck guy so it’s not for me.