Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 07-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Right Knee Pain but not left?

Just noticed since I’ve been riding more that a day after my ride or so my right knee aches..when I drive, when I stand, even when I’m sitting on the couch. It’s the backside of my knee but the entire area that continually aches.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:02 PM
50 bpm

Just spitballing here, but have you had your leg length measured?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Just spitballing here, but have you had your leg length measured?

Yeah I have. One is longer than the other according to my fit so I’ll double check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Cleats worn on that side? Is that the side you normally unclip when you stop?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Just a couple of things to check if the knee pain is new. Check to see if your cleats have shifted, new shoes, saddle shifted, changed bar position, changed lever position.

Did you start or increase mileage or other activities?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Cleats worn on that side? Is that the side you normally unclip when you stop?
It doesn’t seem different (Speedplay user here). I unclip from both sides but the right side is the one I clip into first.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
Just a couple of things to check if the knee pain is new. Check to see if your cleats have shifted, new shoes, saddle shifted, changed bar position, changed lever position.

Did you start or increase mileage or other activities?
Same saddle, I’ll check if it has shifted. The only think I can think of is my seatpost slipping down potentially? Bar and levers are the same, same shoes as well.

I did start increasing mileage for sure.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
Just noticed since I’ve been riding more that a day after my ride or so my right knee aches..when I drive, when I stand, even when I’m sitting on the couch. It’s the backside of my knee but the entire area that continually aches.
Could be overextension. Check yer saddle height.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 PM

Would different pedals help? Ones with less float.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Well, I don't know, but I'd sure as shooting lower my saddle 2-3 mm before I even swapped pedals, let alone flat out bought a pair.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Same saddle, I’ll check if it has shifted. The only think I can think of is my seatpost slipping down potentially? Bar and levers are the same, same shoes as well.

I did start increasing mileage for sure.
When I had this issue - it took me a while because I was riding 3 bikes, all set up the same, but finally worked out when I rode the Teschner 'something' was different.

Saddle had slipped back 10-12mm so it was fully back on the rails. That's what it was!!
Old 07-28-2018, 07:47 PM

If all your fit parameters are good then you might want to do what most cyclist don't do- stretch. If you don't have a foam roller, get one. Every cyclist shouldn't be without one.

Scott
Old 07-29-2018, 12:09 PM

I’ve been stretching after every ride...I’m just wondering if it has to do with doing more miles on average than I really ever have. I’ve been putting in about 120-150 miles a week with more hills as well. I’ve also been trying to spin more than usual.

Here’s what the fitter said:

Address the knee with ice, back off the speed and hills, get to the other side of pain, then start up harder slowly...

My fit included coming back whenever I needed to without extra $$$ but he doesn’t seem to want me to come back in to address it. Its quite frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2018, 08:02 PM

normally, pain at the back of the knee is issue with the leg extension. the main root cause most probably is the hamstring.

why right leg? most of us are right-side bias. or we used our right side more .. driving car, we sit .. etc. hence our right side more .. hence the right side hamstring is tighter than the left one. if you have LLD, one leg will be weaker .. since we rely more on the stronger leg for power and stability ... in this case, the right leg .. overworked .. tighter hamstring

lower down the seat post should works and pedal with sit up straight also will minimize the stretch to hamstring .. but i guess it will not be as much fun.

i would recommend stretch hamstring and work to balance the strength of both legs.

some words on hamstring stretch .. there are 2 types: one with straight leg, the other one with bend knee. you need both. caution not to compensate with your upper back when reaching your toes. and do it while you are on your feet .. not lying down. because when on your feet, the stretch is loaded.

my 2 cents. hopefully it helps. it helped my for sure and i was diagnosed with LLD. my left leg is weaker.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
My fit included coming back whenever I needed to without extra $$$ but he doesn’t seem to want me to come back in to address it. Its quite frustrating.
Is your bike fitter a PT, MD, or DO?

Bike fitters, at least most of them, have no real medical training. A lot of cyclists think, "wow, this hurts - I think my fit must be bad," so they head to a fitter. The fitter thinks to themself "wow, it would be better if this person came to me after they had taken some time off so they were pain free, then I could fit them as their physiology demands without worrying about what parts of their body are compensating for others in a time of injury."

The fact that you have been upping the mileage is a tell tale sign of an overuse injury. Not to pontificate, but cyclists are already known for their short, tight hammies. Add a LLD to the mix and you may have been bound to run into this issue eventually. So, what I would say is to stop riding your bike, at least for a little while. Your body is telling you something. Wait until your pain reduces/relieves, and then look into what l0n3rider is preaching - flexible muscles are strong muscles.

Last edited by DRietz; 07-31-2018 at 03:17 PM.