Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2019, 03:54 PM

Ordered at NAHBS from Charles at Jet Bicycle Wheels. Easton R90SL 24/28 with DT Swiss Aerolite Spokes (rear tied and soldered), black alloy nipples, DT Swiss 240 hubs, Continental 5000 tires and Panaracer R'Air tubes. Putting them together tonight for a ride tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newheelsx.jpg (138.8 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg spokes.JPG (143.3 KB, 576 views)
Old 04-06-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Ordered at NAHBS from Charles at Jet Bicycle Wheels. Easton R90SL 24/28 with DT Swiss Aerolite Spokes (rear tied and soldered), black alloy nipples, DT Swiss 240 hubs, Continental 5000 tires and Panaracer R'Air tubes. Putting them together tonight for a ride tomorrow.
Looks like a sweet do-all wheelset! I just ordered some of the R'Air tubes - hopefully they're as good as Panaracer claim!
Old 04-07-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
What is the benefit of tied and soldered spokes? Aside from looking awesome, which those do.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcatalog View Post
What is the benefit of tied and soldered spokes? Aside from looking awesome, which those do.

Subject: Tied and Soldered Wheels
Date: December 16, 1996

While writing The Bicycle Wheel, to conclusively determine what effect tying and soldering of spoke crossings in a wheel had, I asked Wheelsmith to lend me an untied pair of standard 36-spoke rear wheels, on Campagnolo low and high flange hubs. I had an inner body of a freewheel machined with flats so that a wheel could be clamped into the vise of a Bridgeport milling machine while the left end of its axle was held in the quill.

With the hub rigidly secured, with its axle vertical, dial gauges were mounted at four equally spaced locations on the machine bed to measure rim deflections as a 35lb weight was sequentially hung on the wheel at these positions. The deflections were recorded for each location and averaged for each wheel before and after tying and soldering spokes.

The wheels were also measured for torsional rigidity in the same fixture, by a wire anchored in the valve hole and wrapped around the rim so that a 35-lb force could be applied tangential to the rim. Dial gauges located at two places 90 degrees apart in the quadrant away from the applied load were used to measure relative rotation between the wheel and hub.

Upon repeating the measurements after tying and soldering the spokes, no perceptible change, other than random measurement noise of a few thousandths of an inch, was detected. The spokes were tied and soldered by Wheelsmith, which did this as a regular service. The data were collected by an engineer who did not know what I expected to find. I set up the experiment and delivered the wheels.

Jobst Brandt

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tied-soldered.html

Tim
Old 04-07-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcatalog View Post
I asked Charles about the tied and soldered thing and I frankly cannot remember his answer. Tim's response above is useful. I look at it as a mark of craftsmanship and attention to detail, that is what I like about it regardless of any structural or other benefits. YMMV.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I asked Charles about the tied and soldered thing and I frankly cannot remember his answer. Tim's response above is useful. I look at it as a mark of craftsmanship and attention to detail, that is what I like about it regardless of any structural or other benefits. YMMV.
Ah, ok. On that Jobst quote above, I wonder if 35lb is enough to measure a significant difference. I'm not a mechanical engineer, and Jobst was. He probably had a good reason to pick that for his test.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
What was your most recent cycling related purchase?

Mine:
I just SCORED a deal on a Rapha Pro team Jacket!!! Gonna look pimptastic with my insulated Pro Team Bibs I'm gonna get this winter! Their pro team line is amazing

Two THM Clavicula's, a Tibia, two Rotor Uno's, pair of Fibre-lyte rings, Schmolke TLO bar(2), Selle Italia SLR, Gelu P1, Carbon-Ti chainrings/skewer's, Roval CLX 32's, KCNC chainring bolts, KMD DLC, Cane Creek headsets(for three bikes)Cane Creek "El Rosado", S-Works 7's, Berk F8 saddle clamp upgrade. Silca Bluetooth pump.
F8 sold
S-Works SL6 Ultralight

Last edited by Tabl10s; 04-08-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:10 PM

new saddle and bar tape, always changing things
Old 04-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

We'll see how it turns out. I had similar concerns when I bought my Independent Fabrication but it turned out just fine in terms of contact points.
What IF do you have?
Old 04-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabl10s View Post
Two THM Clavicula's, a Tibia, two Rotor Uno's, pair of Fibre-lyte rings, Schmolke TLO bar(2), Selle Italia SLR, Gelu P1, Carbon-Ti chainrings/skewer's, Roval CLX 32's, KCNC chainring bolts, KMD DLC, Cane Creek headsets(for three bikes)Cane Creek "El Rosado", S-Works 7's, Berk F8 saddle clamp upgrade. Silca Bluetooth pump.
Sounds like quite the collection of stuff! What frames are all these wonderful parts going to hang on?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
Sounds like quite the collection of stuff! What frames are all these wonderful parts going to hang on?
I'm selling the Wilier frame/fork/post and switching everything to the S-Works then I have to order a fourth THM Tibia(all bikes have to have the same peripherals). Trying to get both the Orbea/F8 to 13lbs, the the SL6 to 12lbs and the RCA Trip 10lbs.
F8 sold
S-Works SL6 Ultralight
Old 04-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabl10s View Post
I'm selling the Wilier frame/fork/post and switching everything to the S-Works then I have to order a fourth THM Tibia(all bikes have to have the same peripherals). Trying to get both the Orbea/F8 to 13lbs, the the SL6 to 12lbs and the RCA Trip 10lbs.
I wish you the best of luck on your (bicycle) weight loss endeavors. Sounds like a wonderful fleet of modern engineering!
Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Climber

Oooh I am excited to ride these today. I am loving riding on larger tires.

*Had to edit this - Great wheels! really nicely built and a nice and loud hub freewheel. Stoked!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (42.1 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (46.3 KB, 360 views)

Last edited by SeanScott; 04-12-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Ordered a silver White Industries headset and Salsa LipLock for my Rock Lobster rebuild.

Also picked up the frame from powder. Still need to get the fork sprayed and frame decals applied.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:11 PM

Cervelo R3

Picked this 2018 frameset up at Excel on sale. Wanted Di2 since it was introduced (going from 20 years of Campagnolo). 16.2 lbs complete in size 58 cm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190413_095807.jpg (138.5 KB, 278 views)