Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Bike Fit

Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 PM

Fitter Recommendations in the Denver/Boulder Area

My birthday is coming up next month and I am thinking about getting a pro bike fit for myself to help optimize my position and tweak my stable a bit.

I have ridden a slew of different bikes with various geometries, reach, stack etc. and have roughly found what I like, but I am interested in getting a little more scientific about the process v. trial and error, especially now that I have a little one and riding time is at a premium.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good fit studio (or individual) in the Colorado front range area? A quick google search pulls up a handful, but it's always good to get the paceline input. I don't race, so my focus would primarily be for comfort and longevity if that matters. Thanks in advance all!
Old 08-14-2019, 04:56 AM

Dr. Andy Pruitt and the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine.

Pruitt wrote the book, The Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists, which focuses on fit.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 PM

If you're a fan of Steve Hogg's philosophy and approach, check out Colby Pearce in Boulder. I've been very happy working with him. Att the high end of the price range but worth it for me.

If you're open to heading a bit further north to Niwot, Ivan O'Gorman comes highly recommended by one of my very good friends and very talented rider. I have no personal experience with him.

Last edited by teleguy57; 08-14-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:33 PM

I’m going to be controversial and say I’m not a fan of BCSM. I’ve heard good things about several other fitters. I think BCSM is overly rigid about making you fit a set of numbers and formulas and the result is a position that you are rigidly locked into. Their perspective is there is one single perfect position on the bike, and once that position is achieved there is no need to move around on the bike. If you agree, their reputation speaks for itself. If you disagree, find somewhere else. They book appointments in two-hour blocks which may not be enough resulting in a fit session that is rushed. Instead, find a fitter who is probably good enough to get you close, and close enough to you that it is easy to go back for adjustments. People think that bike fit is a fixed place, but really it moves over time. Here’s one scenario — your fit puts you in a position on the bike where, after a couple of weeks, you decide you need a saddle that is a different shape. The fit you just paid $700 is now mostly out the window.

If you do decide to go with BCSM because you buy into the position that Andy Pruitt invented bike fit and therefore the people he hires know everything about the subject, arrive a couple of hours early and ride up NCAR or maybe out to Lyons and back. Now they are fitting you from an already warmed up and settled in position.

Last edited by bigreen505; 08-16-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreen505 View Post
I’m going to be controversial and say I’m not a fan of BCSM. I’ve heard good things about several other fitters. I think BCSM is overly rigid about making you fit a set of numbers and formulas
And as long as you're right at the center of the bell curve in every aspect, that should work perfectly...

I'm going to be controversial and say I'm not a fan on my own fittings, because I keep getting them wrong. Every other fitter can spend a few hours with a client on the trainer and put them in the perfect position. I do a fitting, then I ride with the client and I almost always see things I need to change.

I'm also not in the Denver area, nobody is suggesting you come see me, and if you're looking to spend a lot on a fitting, I'm not your guy.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM

Bruce Schwab
http://www.schwabcycles.com/

I was fit by him about 20+ years ago.

Then a few weeks afterward I was on a Cannondale Dirt Camp (yes, many years ago Cannondale ran MTB camps/clinics) trip in Moab and my fit was checked by Andy Pruitt of BCSM (he came in for the camp). All Andy did was say I might want to be in a 2 inch narrower bar if I wanted to be in a more aero position but otherwise I looked "really good" on my stock bike.

My sister-in-law who has lived in Denver about 6 years has been fit for 3 different new road bikes (my older brother loves to buy her new bikes) and has always been happy working with Bruce.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 08-19-2019 at 04:00 PM.