Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2016, 01:25 PM

White Industries VBC Crankset not compatible with Campagnolo...

I was chatting to White Industries about their new and older cranks, and explained what i was after. this was their response:

"Hi Matt,
I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My main concern is with the Campy drivetrain. The cranks were designed around a Shimano / SRAM drivetrain so my concern is that the expected smooth shifting from the tooth profile design would not meet your expectations with the Campy drivetrain.
Best
Lynette"

not saying this is a bad thing really, its actually quite honest, but wow, basically saying they did not design their cranks to be used with Campagnolo. I find this interesting.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Administrator

it may not be "optimized", but any rings that will shift with shimano will shift with a campy drivetrain. all a FD does is move the chain from one position to another. the ramps/pins in the chainrings are what determine smoothness of shifting, and given the same width chain and same approximate FD throw, there shouldnt be much difference in shifting at all.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:33 PM

Talk to Compass. Their Rene Herse Crank is working with Campy 11speed according to several sources I've heard from and hinted at broadly in several recent BQ issues...

Last edited by guido; 10-11-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: fat fingers typing...
Old 10-11-2016, 01:53 PM
Descent fitness

I am with Angry. I don't see how a chainring would shift differently with different FD brands, unless the plate shapes foul up the ramps/pins somehow.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
Talk to Compass. Their Rene Hearse Crank is working with Campy 11speed according to several sources I've heard from and hinted at broadly in several recent BQ issues...
i have one of the Herse cranks, and its out of alignment or something, even though its virtually new. but may try it on another bike just to make sure. but the small ring rubbed the chainstay on my weigle in one spot, so i pulled it. it could be my crap wrench skills, but a Campagnolo crank works just fine.

that being said, the herse crank is a classic looking silver crank, the WI VBC is a modern looking black crank, huge difference.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO View Post
I am with Angry. I don't see how a chainring would shift differently with different FD brands, unless the plate shapes foul up the ramps/pins somehow.
I think we all know this combo can work, as many have used it before. I am only sharing the email i got direct form the source. they apparently aren't actually in the business of selling their stuff, as I am trying to buy 2 of their cranksets. they do not want to sell them to me because I favor Italian engineering it seems.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Talk to Compass. Their Rene Hearse Crank ...
Great! ANOTHER bike category - road, cross, gravel...now I have to have a funeral bike??
Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM

It's for your last ride...
Old 10-11-2016, 02:11 PM

first off, Lynette is awesome....

second... WI 2x drive trains arent the best shifting up front in my experience. Ive set up ALOT of bikes with these cranks due to clients wanting low gears made available with WI and Hearse cranks etc. All levels of sram, (not etap) and all levels of Shim as well, including Di2. 9 - 11 spd too.

Ive not seen as good of performance from the Hearse cranks/rings. But keep in mind Im looking for 100% 10/10, not ~8

Best I could get is around a 8 out of 10.

Their large rings lack the quantity of pins and ramps that Shim and Sram build into their rings. . .

Per Campy, Ive never done one... but would expect it to work fine enough with a good front mech. Which campy does well.

Id say give it a try

Last edited by AJosiahK; 10-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think they are actually being honest. They have not tried it and so they don't want to tell you it works when it works but might not be optimal.

I can tell you that it works fine, seen it on a few bikes and have tried it on my own bike. I think they used to say that it does not work with 11 speed too and I have running 11 speed right now without any problems.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
It's for your last ride...
A solution to our N+1 problems.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I think they used to say that it does not work with 11 speed too and I have running 11 speed right now without any problems.
They redesigned their chain rings in the last couple of years and the new ones with the more visible logos work better with 11 as I understand it. As such, I bought out the end stock of the old rings that work better with my 9 speed drive trains and have none of that flashy logo-ing
Old 10-11-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJosiahK View Post
WI 2x drive trains arent the best shifting up front in my experience.
Probably a fair statement (overall) as 34/50 shifts (as an example) with SRAM Rival shifters can be some effort from my experience setting these cranks up for myself and many others.

I personally run these with a 12 tooth difference up front with Dura Ace bar end shifters on multiple bikes, both road and mountain, and have exceptional shifting. Fast and crisp.

YMMV.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:33 PM

This is making me feel better about going with SRAM XX 42/28 over the VBC. I literally have the best front shifting on this bike I have ever experienced.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 PM
Imshi Cycles

i would not let that stop me from building a bike with em...might not be "optimized" for campy but itll work.

if you are lookin at VBC cranks its probably because you want to run some wacky ring combo as well, which will probably shift like donkey balls anyways compared to the traditional ring pairs we are accustomed to.

Tags
white industries