Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 09:54 PM

Re-thinking Rapha quality commitment and customer service

I have been a pretty loyal Rapha customer for a decade or so. Wear lots of their stuff, almost always impressed with their quality.
Two years ago, I bought 2 pairs of their Brevet bibshorts. Recently I noticed on both pairs that the chamois has twisted where it narrowed in the crotch and was very lumpy. It appeared to me that the chamois had a second piece used for the narrow part and the join between the two pieces twisted and separated.
I contacted Rapha the other day to see if this issue could be repaired or rectified. This was their reply:

Really sorry to hear about this. Sadly we will not be able to help you in the case as the shorts were purchased over 18 months ago.

Please let us know if there's anything we else we can do to help.

Kind Regards,

Alex

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

R A P H A

Performance Roadwear

www.rapha.cc

Guess I never knew Rapha only has an 18 month warranty on their $200+ shorts. Will keep that in mind next time I'm shopping for a pair of bibs.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 PM

18 months is a long time... just saying
Old 06-15-2019, 10:03 PM

The Walmart boys don't need the money, but they want to cut costs and make their pet project look like a profitable business. So long to customer service.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:18 PM

Two years? They don't know what you did to them, you may have been washing them on hot and drying them.

Time for new shorts.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:31 PM

18 months seems entirely reasonable.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
The Walmart boys don't need the money, but they want to cut costs and make their pet project look like a profitable business. So long to customer service.
Rather they use the money for the bicycle philanthropic pursuits than give a guy another pair of bibs after 18 months of use. What’s the greater good???
Old 06-15-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Rather they use the money for the bicycle philanthropic pursuits than give a guy another pair of bibs after 18 months of use. What’s the greater good???
Well that "guy" probably deserved better service than their reply to him implies, and in any case he is certainly not responsible for Rapha's "philanthropic pursuits", which even so are partially funded by his purchase.

Somehow, I just don't see the halos there.

But, I suppose the first "philanthropic pursuit" could be to build better than 18-month bibs for what they charge. Or at least be philanthropically honest and call them "18 Month Bibs"....
Old 06-15-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
But, I suppose the first "philanthropic pursuit" could be to build better than 18-month bibs for what they charge. Or at least be philanthropically honest and call them "18 Month Bibs"....
Or this

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/stories/rapha-foundation

Again, I rather see them do this ——-^ than have an anything-goes warranty program. Not saying they cannot do both. But I rather they use some of their profits to help those who cannot.

BTW Rapha’s quality has always been hit or miss.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Or this

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/stories/rapha-foundation

Again, I rather see them do this ——-^ than have an anything-goes warranty program. Not saying they cannot do both. But I rather they use some of their profits to help those who cannot.

BTW Rapha’s quality has always been hit or miss.
Well then, also again, I do not feel that any "philanthropic pursuits" or "greater good" arguments can or should be justified by inferior service and/or quality, or that physical quality and service be made sacrificial, subservient aspects of the metaphysical id card. They should be at least independent branches, one hopes, but more important both expressions of a single, congruent philosophy. This does not seem to be quite the case here, and there really shouldn't be a "but/either/or" as any part of it, imo.

Patagonia (as I stated above from my own experiences) has equally or arguably more beneficial philanthropic programs AND a better, more humane, customer service program. I would bet that other companies do as well.

And, yes, in fact I personally would prefer that Rapha take care of tv_vt and others better, first and as policy, and not simply abandon him/them on the "greater good" battlefield and so not do anything to reinforce and retain the relationship (especially a loyal, long-term, repeat customer) while simultaneously patting themselves/being patted on the back for being somehow so very altruistic. Pretty ironic....

But enough; Rapha "discussions" are far too often like this, and quickly become too tedious, so to each their own really.

Good luck, op. /
Old 06-16-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Well then, also again, I do not feel that any "philanthropic pursuits" or "greater good" arguments can or should be justified by inferior service and/or quality, or that physical quality and service be made sacrificial, subservient aspects of the metaphysical id card. They should be at least independent branches, one hopes, but more important both expressions of a single, congruent philosophy. This does not seem to be quite the case here, and there really shouldn't be a "but/either/or" as any part of it, imo.

Patagonia (as I stated above from my own experiences) has equally or arguably more beneficial philanthropic programs AND a better, more humane, customer service program. I would bet that other companies do as well.

And, yes, in fact I personally would prefer that Rapha take care of tv_vt and others better, first and as policy, and not simply abandon him/them on the "greater good" battlefield and so not do anything to reinforce and retain the relationship (especially a loyal, long-term, repeat customer) while simultaneously patting themselves/being patted on the back for being somehow so very altruistic. Pretty ironic....

But enough; Rapha "discussions" are far too often like this, and quickly become too tedious, so to each their own really.

Good luck, op. /
Little of Patagonia clothing is used for performance activities. In other words, Their clothes are not being stressed too much draped on the dude going to get coffee. That’s why they have a great warranty and can afford to have a great warranty (there is a case study about this in some academic journal as I recall). When Patagonia has clothing exclusively used for performance they hedge their warranty. Case in point, look at the warranty policy for their wetsuits (you don’t wear wetsuits to get coffee).

Rapha clothing almost exclusively is used in performance activities. That’s why they are probably backtracking on their warranty. 18 months is a long time to get a replacement on something like a bib.

If the OP is looking for a high quality durable brand bib. Checkout Q365. Their bibs last forever.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Little of Patagonia clothing is used for performance activities.
Ours was, extensively in fact. Many other people's too.

Quote:
In other words, Their clothes are not being stressed too much draped on the dude going to get coffee. When Patagonia has clothing exclusively used for performance they hedge their warranty. Case in point, look at the warranty policy for their wetsuits (you don’t wear wetsuits to get coffee).

Rapha clothing almost exclusively is used in performance activities.
I would bet that surfers do.
But either way, I have to say, I really do love the irony....

Old 06-16-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Ours was, extensively in fact. Many other people's too.

I would bet that surfers do.
But either way, I have to say, I really do love the irony....

Surfers don’t put on wetsuits to get coffee.
Cyclists don’t put on bibs to get coffee.

Apologies for being nuanced.

Last edited by joosttx; 06-16-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Little of Patagonia clothing is used for performance activities. In other words, Their clothes are not being stressed too much draped on the dude going to get coffee. That’s why they have a great warranty and can afford to have a great warranty (there is a case study about this in some academic journal as I recall). When Patagonia has clothing exclusively used for performance they hedge their warranty. Case in point, look at the warranty policy for their wetsuits (you don’t wear wetsuits to get coffee).

Rapha clothing almost exclusively is used in performance activities. That’s why they are probably backtracking on their warranty. 18 months is a long time to get a replacement on something like a bib.

If the OP is looking for a high quality durable brand bib. Checkout Q365. Their bibs last forever.
I’d argue summiting a mountain, which many people use Patagonia for, is demanding on clothing. Ten miles yesterday up a 13k ft mtn., forgot my Patagonia shirt was drying on backpack most the hike. It got stuck by pine trees, slid down dirt, snow, and rock...it was filthy by the end. If I had damaged it, I could’ve sent it to Patagonia and they would fix it.

The R1 I wore the entire hike had the friction of a backpack all day on it with a belt strap grinding away. Worse than normal because I run sometimes...it also slid on dirt, rocks, and snow.

My wife sent in her Patagonia down jacket that is maybe 8 years old with two holes by the pockets from normal use. They fixed both, fluffed up the down somehow and cleaned it nicely. For free...

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 06-16-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’d argue summiting a mountain, which many people use Patagonia for, is demanding on clothing. Ten miles yesterday up a 13k ft mtn., forgot my Patagonia shirt was drying on backpack most the hike. It got stuck by pine trees, slid down dirt, snow, and rock...it was filthy by the end. If I had damaged it, I could’ve sent it to Patagonia and they would fix it.

The R1 I wore the entire hike had the friction of a backpack all day on it with a belt strap grinding away. Worse than normal because I run sometimes...it also slid on dirt, rocks, and snow.

My wife sent in her Patagonia down jacket that is maybe 8 years old with two holes by the pockets from normal use. They fixed both, fluffed up the down somehow and cleaned it nicely. For free...

I would argue that there far more people who wear Patagonia and pay a lot of money for it don’t do any of the activities that you list while wearing it. Sitting in class, driving a car, working a white collar desk job, getting coffee I bet are the majority activities folks do in Patagonia clothing. The mark up on those clothes Fund the repair/return policy.

Last edited by joosttx; 06-16-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:09 AM

The Rapha of today is not the Rapha pre-buyout. It is what it is.

And the foundations first foray into philanthropic giving would be comedy if it weren't so sad. USA Cycling? NICA?

That money could go way further elsewhere.