Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2020, 02:35 PM
#RYFB

Campy 12 build lessons

Thought I'd share my experience here for the possible benefit of others. I finished the Chorus 12 build on my Pegoretti on 12/30, did a quick shakedown ride, then logged a nice 75 mile maiden voyage to end the year (and complete my Festive500). I’m very happy with the groupset based on this small sample, especially having chosen the subcompact and 11-32 option. Oodles of clearance with the calipers.

I did encounter a couple of hiccups:

I found that Campy’s guideline on chain length was not workable. With the Peg’s chain stay length I initially cut 4 links to use the prescribed 110 length, but no matter how I adjusted the height of the upper pulley, when in the 32-11 (small/small) position the chain rubbed on the guard below the upper pulley. I therefore removed two more links, and everything worked perfectly. (Note: as a result I had to resort to a SRAM Eagle link, which seems to be working very well.)

Older pads are not compatible with the new calipers; current Shimano-compatible pads are. At least one vendor's site (Swissstop) had incorrect information in this regard.

Otherwise, the build was straightforward. Pics in the gallery still to come.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:37 PM
aka RAEKWON

wondering if all 12 speed calipers are now shimano pads or just chorus. Campy already had some shimano pads on some calipers, usually the cheaper calipers like potenza for example.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:41 PM
Administrator

thanks for that, excellent.

when you get a chance, if you can grab a picture of the rear caliper, that would be great.

my lynskey is running a record skeleton single pivot rear, and that is easily the limiting factor out back. i may buy a set of new 12-sp calipers if there is significant clearance to be gained.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:53 PM

Tell us more. My wife's Chorus 12 upgrade is still under a bow (birthday on Sunday) so I haven't been able to ogle.

I've heard front derailleur set-up is unique, benefited from watching a video? I think it was referenced in your other C12 thread. Any more detail you can add on that?

How did your resulting chain length compare with the old tried and true small-small/big-big method?
Old 01-03-2020, 03:39 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
wondering if all 12 speed calipers are now shimano pads or just chorus. Campy already had some shimano pads on some calipers, usually the cheaper calipers like potenza for example.
Good point, Paulo, and I believe it's just Chorus. I did a quick Google image search on Record 12 calipers and did not see the telltale screw that secures the pad. I recall that OP said that TRP makes the Chorus 12 calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Tell us more. My wife's Chorus 12 upgrade is still under a bow (birthday on Sunday) so I haven't been able to ogle.

I've heard front derailleur set-up is unique, benefited from watching a video? I think it was referenced in your other C12 thread. Any more detail you can add on that?

How did your resulting chain length compare with the old tried and true small-small/big-big method?
FD: I watched the setup video a number of times; I mostly followed those directions except that I eschewed the inline cable tension adjuster, figuring that I would perform the same operation using the downtube adjusters. In the end it was pretty similar to previous installs, except for checking the trim adjustment in the big-big combo. One difference is that you now have the choice of positioning the cable tension bolt on the front side of the arm, which I opted for in order to move the cable away from the tire.

I can't answer the second question since I didn't think to try the tried & true method (which for me is OP's small-small guidance). However, given that the initial length failed to adequately tension the chain in small-small, I suspect that OP's method would have ultimately resulted in the same length that I now have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
when you get a chance, if you can grab a picture of the rear caliper, that would be great.
Your wish is my command, Nick. It's not apparent from the photo but I suspect that a too-big tire would actually fail to clear the brake bridge, not the caliper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chorus 12 clearance (1).jpg (81.2 KB, 427 views)
Old 01-03-2020, 04:12 PM

Campy got the compact crank out before they revised the chain length instructions. I had the same issue. I cut the chain at 55 inches, but with the 48/32 crank, it hung loose in the little/little. I removed the extra inch, got rid of the Campy joining pin and use a KMC 12 or SRAM eagle 12 link to join the chain. The SRAM eagle fits the best.

The little/little method of setting the chain length should also work. When the ends of the chain are brought together, any movement of the RD cage means the chain is long enough.

I rode my bike with the chain too long a few times, before correcting it.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:22 PM
Administrator

thanks for the picture and explanation. indeed those look to be better than the record single pivot's. a tire would definitely hit the brake arms before the brake bridge on the older record units.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:17 PM

This is good news. What is the tire size in the photo? Equally good news that they got rid of the little cheapo clip spring holding the pad. If you changed pads frequently (alternating between carbon and alloy), the spring broke off within the first few months.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:21 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
What is the tire size in the photo? Equally good news that they got rid of the little cheapo clip spring holding the pad. If you changed pads frequently (alternating between carbon and alloy), the spring broke off within the first few months.
Pictured is a Panaracer Race A Evo 700x28 (mounted on an H Plus Son Archetype, FWIW).

Another benefit is that with the securing screw the pads slip out easily, making it very quick to swap pads between carbon and alloy. Alas, the carbon wheels I was planning to use are older Zipp 303s and I needed to install a spacer to provide adequate clearance for the RD on my 11 speed setup, am nervous about trying them with 12 speed…we'll see.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Thought I'd share my experience here for the possible benefit of others. I finished the Chorus 12 build on my Pegoretti on 12/30, did a quick shakedown ride, then logged a nice 75 mile maiden voyage to end the year (and complete my Festive500). I’m very happy with the groupset based on this small sample, especially having chosen the subcompact and 11-32 option. Oodles of clearance with the calipers.

I did encounter a couple of hiccups:

I found that Campy’s guideline on chain length was not workable. With the Peg’s chain stay length I initially cut 4 links to use the prescribed 110 length, but no matter how I adjusted the height of the upper pulley, when in the 32-11 (small/small) position the chain rubbed on the guard below the upper pulley. I therefore removed two more links, and everything worked perfectly. (Note: as a result I had to resort to a SRAM Eagle link, which seems to be working very well.)

Older pads are not compatible with the new calipers; current Shimano-compatible pads are. At least one vendor's site (Swissstop) had incorrect information in this regard.

Otherwise, the build was straightforward. Pics in the gallery still to come.
-Chain length..the small-small method still works.
-Chorus calipers are made by Tektro and use shimano-esque pads..
Quote:
Chorus and below brakes

Front der setup the same..
-Install fder at height called for, about 2-3mm, IMHO..and outer cage angle same as big ring(maybe a little tail out..more on that later).
-Adjust inner limit screw so chain just tickles inner cage when in small ring and biggest cog in back. .
-Pull cable TIGHT, while pushing down thumb button..secure fixing bolt.
-THEN turn inner limit screw out a wee bit..this gets the chain off the inner cage and makes cable TIGHT-no need for inline adjuster.
-Shift to smallest cog in back and slowly, shift LH shifter, one, two, three clcks, chain should go up to big ring.
-Adjust outer limit screw so it just touches the stop...not need to crank it down.
-Ensure the outer cage is parallel to chain..adjust angle if necessary..then back to lowest gear..might have to move inner limit a wee bit..

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-04-2020 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Thought I'd share my experience here for the possible benefit of others.

Thanks for the info cgolvin. I wished I saw this before my recent build with Chorus 12-speed. I ordered Swissstop Black Prince - Campy and was triple-guessing my mechanical abilities of changing out the brake pads. The grove in the brake pad for the screw are in the rear for Chorus 12-speed; the Swissstop pads have the cutout towards the front. Time to order Shimano compatible pads now :/ First-world problems.

Stock OEM all-black on left side of picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Pad 3.jpg (99.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Pad 1.jpg (149.7 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Pad 2.jpg (152.8 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg Brake Pad 4.jpg (81.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-05-2020, 05:56 AM

Good to know. Im going 12 speed on one bike.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Chorus and below only..Record and SR are the 'older' style.
Quote:
The little/little method of setting the chain length should also work. When the ends of the chain are brought together, any movement of the RD cage means the chain is long enough.
Yup, that's how to do it.. Calculating and deciding on number of links is not nearly as accurate, as the OP discovered.

Aaaarg..Zombie thread!!

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-05-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:45 AM

I remember someone posted about a different campy caliper that had a ton of clearance that was Asian made ? I forgot which model, I need to get new calipers for clearance for my Merckx
Old 09-05-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beercan View Post
I remember someone posted about a different campy caliper that had a ton of clearance that was Asian made ? I forgot which model, I need to get new calipers for clearance for my Merckx

I have some brand new Chorus 12 calipers inbound that I will not be using! Hit me up if you are interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk