Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-2020, 02:21 PM

Sure I will be hammered by this. Why not accept we head downward when we get old, and just getting out there is good enough? Least that is my acceptance as ebike won't help me and my neuro problems with back and feet...

Riding for riding sake...
Old 01-03-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Sure I will be hammered by this. Why not accept we head downward when we get old, and just getting out there is good enough? Least that is my acceptance as ebike won't help me and my neuro problems with back and feet...

Riding for riding sake...
This is where I sit. I pinned a number on for many years. My riding was all about training and performance. I can't/don't do that any more. Though, I also cannot exist without turning the pedals. I now enjoy riding a sportif style bicycle. I also enjoy riding long distances. When I can no longer ride for long duration, I will ride for shorter duration until the moment when I no longer can. I prefer to leverage my body forward with my own steam. It is pretty simple. We exist until we don't.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Randomhead

I don't see it for my recreational riding. My wife, otoh ...

I want an ebike for errands and commuting. Just haven't felt like pulling the trigger on that yet.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:56 PM

when i get old i hope i am half as fast on my bike. and not as fast on my ebike with people half my age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
This is where I sit. I pinned a number on for many years. My riding was all about training and performance. I can't/don't do that any more. Though, I also cannot exist without turning the pedals. I now enjoy riding a sportif style bicycle. I also enjoy riding long distances. When I can no longer ride for long duration, I will ride for shorter duration until the moment when I no longer can. I prefer to leverage my body forward with my own steam. It is pretty simple. We exist until we don't.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:16 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Talking

God-willing if my ability to balance remains...I will be happy with any assistance.
The wonderful aspect about this is that folks can opt not to purchase an eBike.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Yup. I'll never win a cat1/2 race again and I'm ok with that. I still like to mentor the local college team and when they drop me on the climbs they often times are nice enough to wait till eventually I bid them good day. That's life. There are also plenty others I can ride with. In fact that's why organized racing is set up the way it is. You start off as a 5 and try working your way up. One member of my club has been a cat 4 literally for 15 years and enjoys every moment of it. He's found his spot. That's just the way it is. Obviously ebikes are not aloud in organized racing but still. PErsonally I'd rather jsut know my place and be happy with it.

In fact I never really understood that in golf too. Why should I who plays golf maybe 3 times a year be given special privilege when I play against my brother who plays probably 350 times a year and because of his hard work and dedication shoots in the 70's... And BTW my brother has one arm!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:27 AM

i have an old Kirk, a new Kirk, and an eMTB. I really like them all. My eMTB is at my place in the alps. Very hilly. I go with two mates (slightly older) and we go for 2 to 4 hours. One of them is quite a big chap and takes 2 batteries. We can go for many miles, and see scenery and visit places otherwise not possible. And when we are finished my top is as salt laden as when I was 20.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
From the article:

" We just need to get the haters—who realistically, are happy on their ‘acoustic’ bikes—to be more welcoming to everyone.”

Not happening.
Perhaps not here, but in my bike club the e-bike users are welcomed and are right at home. But then, haters are actively discouraged there.