Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2020, 12:34 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Has anyone here used the ‘Slow ‘N Sear’ for the Weber kettle? I’m looking at getting one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...obPIxfI6WNmUQ4
I've thought about getting one for a couple of years. I usually just stack the charcoal up against one side, with an aluminum water pan on the other half of the grill. It's worked really well so far, so I never felt the NEED to get one. But would still like to, if I find a good enough deal.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:28 PM

GMG owner here. Lots of pork (butt, ribs, bacon) and some beef. Looking to do some new stuff this year, need the weather to cooperate though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2020, 03:15 PM

I have a Yoder YS640. It's a pellet grill - think Traeger, but 330 pounds of 10-gauge steel made in Kansas. The current iteration of it, the YS640s, has the built-in ability to pair to wifi and provides temperature monitoring and control by app (they are partnered with Fireboard for this). At some point I will probably upgrade my control unit to the s one but I have yet to do so.

I smoke and grill all kinds of things but in terms of smoking, pulled pork is probably my go-to for big parties. A great source for recipes is All Things BBQ, a grill store owned by the same owners as Yoder. https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/category/recipes/
"Wait, stop! We can outsmart those dolphins. Don't forget: we invented computers, leg warmers, bendy straws, peel-and-eat shrimp, the glory hole, *and* the pudding cup!" -Homer Simpson, Treehouse of Horror XI

Last edited by Tony Edwards; 01-02-2020 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:32 PM
I need you cool.

ribs & salmon

mesquite hardwood charcoal (typically), then hickory or alder depending on what is being smoked....a good rub is key.

My smoker/grill is a Brinkman.....but it is now sold as Oklahoma Joe's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-01-02 13_28_11 - ribs.jpg (56.4 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Ozz; 01-02-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:46 PM
Reborn !!

I just got a Traeger pellet fired smoker

First attempt at brisket will be Saturday

Fingers crossed.....

Can't we just talk about this for a moment?
Old 01-02-2020, 03:51 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOdyssey View Post

Fingers crossed.....
My brother-in-laws swear by Traegers.....one did the Xmas Eve roast at my parents house last week....about 10 ribs long, salt crust....turned out great.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:52 PM

All I can say from these pictures is….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201505_0940_figec.jpg (20.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-02-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
I have a Traeger that I use frequently. I always do thanksgiving turkey, a few pork shoulders, and tons of chicken every year. Oak/cherry is my preferred blend for most things. There's a turkey specific one for thanksgiving that I use and it gets rave reviews.

My 2020 goal is to do more briskets! That pic above made my mouth water.
We have been looking at these for a couple of years.

Quick question please.

Which model would you recommend?

We host quite often at the cabin and would like to have enough capacity.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
Has anyone here used the ‘Slow ‘N Sear’ for the Weber kettle? I’m looking at getting one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...obPIxfI6WNmUQ4
Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I've thought about getting one for a couple of years. I usually just stack the charcoal up against one side, with an aluminum water pan on the other half of the grill. It's worked really well so far, so I never felt the NEED to get one. But would still like to, if I find a good enough deal.
^^^ This is basically what I do for any meat that will fit on half of the grate. Pile the charcoal up on the opposite side, with an aluminum pan full of water over the charcoal. Also an empty aluminum loaf pan placed on the lower grate next to the charcoal pile to further block direct heat from the meat.
Not my photo but this is the general idea:

You don't need the charcoal holder thingies Weber sells, or some $100 third party contraption; just pile it up.
IMO that $100 would be better saved and put towards a Smoky Mountain or some other setup that A) has capacity for more meat, B) capacity for more charcoal & wood so it doesn't have to be babysat and restocked as often, and C) is less of a kludge to set up for proper indirect heat than a kettle. JMHO of course.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
mesquite hardwood charcoal (typically), then hickory or alder depending on what is being smoked....a good rub is key.

My smoker/grill is a Brinkman.....but it is now sold as Oklahoma Joe's
Link to the OJ smoker looks nice. how heavy duty is the steel? I have a cheap offset smoker which works ok but its made out of very thin steel and the top of the grill and smoker box doesnt stay completely shut. I need to put a rock on top. Granted its only open a millimeter or two so im just being crazy, but its still open! Just feels cheap.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:37 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Link to the OJ smoker looks nice. how heavy duty is the steel? I have a cheap offset smoker which works ok but its made out of very thin steel and the top of the grill and smoker box doesnt stay completely shut. I need to put a rock on top. Granted its only open a millimeter or two so im just being crazy, but its still open! Just feels cheap.
It is freakin' heavy....probably 3/16" to 1/4" plate....I figure they probably use hot water tanks to build them. Mine easily weighs 100 lbs. Came with a 75 year warranty.

The lids close with a thunk (don't get your finger caught if you drop the lid)!

The Oklahoma Joe's ones are slightly different since mine is close to 20 years old.

In this video, mine is the offset smoker they review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A02fAlOrZfM

Last edited by Ozz; 01-02-2020 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
It is freakin' heavy....probably 3/16" to 1/4" plate....I figure they probably use hot water tanks to build them. Mine easily weighs 80 lbs. Came with a 75 year warranty.
For that quality, and price.. I am SOLD Thank you
Old 01-02-2020, 06:02 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceOdyssey View Post

Fingers crossed.....
My brother in law has an insulation blanket he throws over his for winter cooking to help maintain the heat. You might check them out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
For that quality, and price.. I am SOLD Thank you
I looked a littel deeper at the OJs....you might want to contact them to confirm the gauge of the steel...like I said, mine is 20 yrs old. The video says it is "2.5mm cold rolled steel"...whatever that translates to..1/10"?? Not as heavy as the Brinkman

This is the fancy version of mine: http://www.thegrilloutlet.com/produc...n_Deluxe_Grill

Mine is just the plain one with the small wheels and no frills.

Last edited by Ozz; 01-02-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:56 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I'm in the same boat. I can make killer ribs and chicken, brisket is more challenging, but doable on a properly managed kettle. I think this product simplifies and improves my regular water bath between charcoal method. Seems like you can get a nice, even, long burn from it.

At this point in my life I don't spend money on much that I don't ingest. I'm thinking of replacing my wobbly 15 YO kettle with a new 'mini performer'. I actually have two full sized performers, one set up with a kettle pizza, at my full time home.

If you can't cook it on a Weber kettle, just go out to eat
Old 01-02-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
We have been looking at these for a couple of years.

Quick question please.

Which model would you recommend?

We host quite often at the cabin and would like to have enough capacity.
I have the Tailgater model and it'll do a 14lb turkey and fits most of my needs just fine. However I have been looking at newer models and if I were in the market I'd go with the Pro575. That new Wifire feature is tempting. Being in MN though, that insulation blanket is a must when the temp drops below 40. That adds another $100+ to the price but it's worth it.