Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 01:27 PM

I’m a big fan of Bontrager lights. I like the 200-series for everyday DRLs, and they have some larger ones between 700-1400lm which I use fatbiking in the winter. They are certainly bright enough for bombing through the forest at night, and they definitely do the trick for commuting.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw2 View Post
Some great suggestions, thanks.

I took a flyer on the PDW Path Finder headlight that has a "Vertical Cutoff Beam designed to focus the 200 lumen main beam onto the road in front of you and prevents lost lumens that can blind oncoming traffic." Sounds similar to the STVZO standard.

I also ordered their Gravity Plus tail light with a "built-in accelerometer that detects deceleration or swerving and automatically changes to a super bright, solid beam to warn following traffic."

I always like to support as close to local as possible and I like their innovative designs. The Path Finder is only 200 lumens, but reviews indicate it is sufficient for commuting in the dark. I can always try something else if not.
Those are good light for the $
Old 01-01-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
There is an UK manufacturer Exposure Lights which makes just killer lights. I have a 1050 lumen Joystick which I can mount on my handlebar or helmet. I hardly ever use full blast as it is too bright for traffic. But nice to have the option on pitch black roads with no cars.

https://exposurelights.com/products/bike/helmet-lights

I also recommend a reflective vest. These really help you stand out. You will look like Tron in the headlights but it is so worth it.

I ride in the Thames Valley in the winter early mornings in the pitch dark where roads are always wet and we get fog.

https://www.provizsports.com/en-us/c...ons/reflect360

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2xvWglCGOw
Another hearty vote for Exposure lights. They really make some terrific products!
Old 01-01-2020, 03:34 PM

In the same matter would everybody know if an integrated in the handlebar type of light would exist? Since everything is possible. I would think something that would replace the faceplate on the stem.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
My wife uses a helmet mounted L&M Vis 360+ to supplement her bike's dyno lights. The L&M is excellent and has proven why a helmet mounted headlight (at a minimum, the 360+ has tail light as well) is very useful (follows your head/vision, get's driver's attention when they are off to your side, driveway, etc).
yeah I have a Vis 360+ and also like it for these reasons. the side lights are one of the best parts; they really help to illuminate you at intersections. I like using it on low and using a bar-mounted light on low as well (so bar light at about 250 lumens, Vis 360+ at around 100). the combination creates plenty of light and has a larger "spread" to it than just a bar-mounted light. running them on low, you'll get a lot of battery life from them. I may be in the minority though, in thinking that blasting a 1000+ lumen light at all times it totally overkill in most road riding situations...

also, helmet lights are great if you flat and need to repair it in the dark.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:35 AM

During the week my rides start at around 5:45 am. My Light & Motion Urban 800 does the trick well. I usually run it on the medium setting, around 400 lumens or so.

For the rear I run the Bontrager Flare RT. A few different modes to choose from. Small, lightweight, and effective.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:03 AM

To add to the discussion...

I have a ton of different lights. In winter I use a 1300 Lumen Cygolite (ext battery) on lowest at night and slow flash during the day. I get at least 2 weeks before I charge. Not a long commute at 4miles ea way.

I also have been using a small Topeak helmet light that has a number of modes and is not super bright but is another source of visible light.

I hit the high beams when feeling vulnerable and or in super dark places. I point my rear Cygo down at about 20 degrees so as to not blind people with the power and never use a strope effect. The nice thing about that light is I can adjust the rate in all the modes. Not too much $ either.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
My Light & Motion Urban 800 does the trick well. I usually run it on the medium setting, around 400 lumens or so.
Light and Motion is what my LBS recommended. I will try them if the PDW stuff does not work out.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:26 PM

Annoyance source(s)

Are bike lights really that much of an annoyance to cars?

Or is the annoyance that a pesty cyclist is on Their roadway?

Anyway here's an experiment:
In the dark, lean your bike on your car's fender and turn bike and car's lights on.
Walk 50 or 100' away.
Is the bike's light blinding, or annoying you?

Repeat with pickup truck. With high beams (cough).

Oh yeah, I've had good luck commuting with a NiteRider.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrank View Post
Are bike lights really that much of an annoyance to cars?

Or is the annoyance that a pesty cyclist is on Their roadway?
the second part is likely true very often. as for the first... there are certainly some lights with a very annoying blinking/strobing pattern. for example: https://youtu.be/KI3iZ-Ch7pY?t=313

you want to be noticed. you don't want to piss people off or blind them, increasing the chance they'll do the opposite of what you're after and hit you.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:39 PM

I believe it is true. Bike light is different than car light.

Car light have most of the time a cap over the source so you don’t have a directe view at the bulb.

Bike light, even small, expose direct view to the led.

It’s not power of the light that blinds you , that’s the direct view to led or bulb filament.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:04 PM

A city at night,
is filled with points of light.
A single headlight,
no matter how bright,
turns depth perception
into deception.
If you want to be seen,
add space between,
and a little motion
will further that notion.

When it's pitch black,