Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
I'm tempted. Will this fit okay in a jersey pocket? Looks like it would stick out quite a bit.
I would say absolutely not, if you want to keep it long. Of course it would fit in a jersey pocket, but at 245mm (9 5/8") long x 30mm (1 1/8") diameter x 175g, it would be a very awkward, very unsecured, fit; probably feel pretty uncomfortable across one's back; and the likelihood of ejection/loss would be very high.

At $55 or $120 (Bluetooth) that would be an expensive thing to have just pop out of one's jersey pocket somewhere back there....

If you like the Tattico, just use the very good under-bottle-cage bracket mount that comes supplied with the pump. For using the same pump on other bicycles, spare bracket mounts from Silca cost $10 each, or just buy generic ones, available all over eBay, etc. The pump shaft diameter in the Tattico clamp area is 20.8mm, so any ~20mm clamp diameter would be fine.

Last edited by Dino Suegiù; 01-01-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:36 PM
aka RAEKWON

I think it could fit on a jersey pocket but it would definitely stick out. Its a similar size as many mini pumps but its heavier than some which might make it more likely to eject from the rear pocket.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:01 PM

I keep mine in my pockets without issue. Certainly sticks out, but not much more than a Lezyne pump does. Been very pleased with it so far! I’m on different bikes every day so much easier to carry with me than use a frame pump or a mount attached to the bike.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Yep, Tattico works well

I’ve had two Tattico pumps (non-BT) for the last year or two, but because I’ve been blessed with flat free rides, I’ve never used them. This thread made me want to actually use them, so I went to the shop last night and used ‘em both. Yep, they work very well. It does take over 100 pumps to get up to riding pressure and they are heavier than others, but worth it IMHO.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:01 PM

Thanks guys. It probably would bother me to stow it in a pocket with the length and heft.

I haven't had to use my mini pump in a couple years. I only need to take it for a couple bikes. Hopefully my luck will continue. Which means I'll need to use it this weekend.
Old 01-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Road connoisseur

Chuck terrible with presta valves

It looks like I have to be the minority voice here. I find using the Tattico with presta valves to be a trying experience. Unusually, the chuck only fits over the very tip of the valve and I find it gets dislodged very easily while inflating. Conversely, it's difficult to remove cleanly when done, without losing some of those very precise PSIs or bars that one has just laboured over (with the Bluetooth version).

I was ready to give up on this pump entirely when I decided to try it on the Schrader valves that came on my Brompton. The chuck is a really solid fit on Schrader valves and the pump is well matched to the low volume Brompton tyres. This is also in contrast to using it on 650Bx50s, in which situation a frame pump is the only reasonable solution.

-- John
Old 02-09-2020, 10:28 AM

Question about this pump & removable valve cores.
I have a Leynze mini pump, and I liked it for getting air into the tire. It's getting the pump off the valve that I hate. It screws on, and when I try to take it off, about 30% of the time, the core loosens and all my work is for naught. This one looks like it pushes on and clicks into place with the lever. Is that right? Anyone have issues with the core coming loose? Need to get something & was looking at the Pocket Impero, but then I read the opinions of it on here & am rethinking that.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:35 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I have a Leynze mini pump, and I liked it for getting air into the tire. It's getting the pump off the valve that I hate. It screws on, and when I try to take it off, about 30% of the time, the core loosens and all my work is for naught. This one looks like it pushes on and clicks into place with the lever. Is that right? Anyone have issues with the core coming loose? Need to get something & was looking at the Pocket Impero, but then I read the opinions of it on here & am rethinking that.
stay AWAY from the pocket impero, or anything with impero in the name.

your problem is exactly why I like this pump over the Lezyne (which I also have sitting right here). It has a little lever and that clicks and locks it into the valve (threaded or unthreaded) and you do your pumping, unclick the lever and go on with your day.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:52 PM

How many strokes to fill a 700x25 tire to 90 psi?
Old 02-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
How many strokes to fill a 700x25 tire to 90 psi?
Cyclingtips have a great chart showing strokes to 85psi in their test.. The standard Tattico pushes about 15% more air than the Bluetooth model as it doesn't have the BT sensor, PCB and battery taking up space inside the barrel.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/08/the-...ike-45-tested/
Old 02-01-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
stay AWAY from the pocket impero, or anything with impero in the name.

your problem is exactly why I like this pump over the Lezyne (which I also have sitting right here). It has a little lever and that clicks and locks it into the valve (threaded or unthreaded) and you do your pumping, unclick the lever and go on with your day.
Hello. I was planning on buying a Lezyne Pressure Drive or HP Drive, but then I came across this thread after a quick search for recent reviews. Does Lezyne's ABS (Air Bleed System) feature help to address at all the valve core issue? Would I be better off (less headaches on the road down the road) spending a bit more for the Silca Tattico? Thank you.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:42 PM
Deconditioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki View Post
Hello. I was planning on buying a Lezyne Pressure Drive or HP Drive, but then I came across this thread after a quick search for recent reviews. Does Lezyne's ABS (Air Bleed System) feature help to address at all the valve core issue? Would I be better off (less headaches on the road down the road) spending a bit more for the Silca Tattico? Thank you.
I know that Silca stuff is very popular. I've been using the Lezyne HP small for over 10 years. Reading this thread, I was thinking I'd switch over the Silca Tattico. However, looking at the cyclingtips article, I saw the Lezyne weighs less, is shorter, and (most importantly) takes fewer strokes to get to 80 psi. As to the "rattle", no idea what that is about. When it's in my jersey pocket, or elsewhere, I've never heard it make any noise. And I hate rattles and stuff when I'm riding.

So I'll stay put.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
just throw a small valve core tool in with your flat kit and never worry about this again. the lezyne only unthreads a valve stem if it's quite loose. if you snug up the valve stem, this is not a real-world issue.

with the advent of tubeless, many multi tools come with valve core tools these days.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:13 PM
aka RAEKWON

I personally think the tattico is better than the Lezyne. It is however heavier, I found that it does better pumping than my old lezyne because its a bit bigger. I have been lucky that I have not had to use it a lot but when I had to use it it worked great.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
After two irritating episodes of pulling valve cores out with my Lezyne during road side repairs, I replaced it with the Silca and had never been happier. I'd say go for the Silca!