Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Trainerroad questions

Greetings I hope everyone had a wonderful Holidays! second I have been doing trainerroad indoors I got it I understand it to most extent. but if I am doing a training plan how does one do there outside? I understand how to load it to my computer and all that Jazz more so how do you choose your routes to ride while your trying to workout. or am I over thinking it? Thanks
Old 12-26-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
Greetings I hope everyone had a wonderful Holidays! second I have been doing trainerroad indoors I got it I understand it to most extent. but if I am doing a training plan how does one do there outside? I understand how to load it to my computer and all that Jazz more so how do you choose your routes to ride while your trying to workout. or am I over thinking it? Thanks
I haven't gotten into doing the exact training plans outside. It seems like it would be difficult and maybe not so safe to do the more complex and specific workouts to a letter.

I think even with the outdoor function, they'd say it'd be best to do your really specific rides indoors. If you want maximum growth and adaptation, indoors can't be beat.

But we live in a real world and have different goals, so I think mixing it up is fine and getting in a few outdoor rides (especially recovery and Sat/Sun rides) is to be expected for those who love cycling and want to get faster. I think the key is to try to approximate the overall work and intensity in your plan and not get goaded into hammering on rest days or sitting in the draft for 3-hrs on a group ride and calling that good (per your plan).

I love the new season plan builder though and am trying to be more specific in my training this year. We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:20 PM

Flat roads are best, as it's easier to control your wattage, assuming you have a power meter. You have the ability to pause before the next interval, so if you need to go through a stop sign or stop light, you can wait. You know your terrain better than us though, really just try your best to find a route with the least stops as possible. I've done a few workouts, but not an entire plan, as I prefer to work inside.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:24 PM
Randomhead

Do you have a power meter on the bike you want to ride outdoors? I always figured an outdoor ride would work pretty well with sweet spot intervals, although a downhill might mess things up a bit. I haven't tried it yet myself, haven't been keeping up with my training plan at all.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Don't use TR, do do structured workouts on the road. My biggest advice would be to not expect to nail every set at the watts or time that is planned. Too many variables - traffic, grades, wind. I tend to do outside workouts as an overview, get the basic work in as close to the plan as possible, doing all the sets, and be happy with it.
I agree with the above, to do very specific workouts as prescribed, inside.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:18 PM

Trainerroad questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post

If you go to your TR calendar, it will show the workout for each day of the week. For any particular day, there is also a place to select where you want to do the ride: inside or outside. Here is what the screen looks like:

If you choose outside, the workout will be sent to your Garmin (or Wahoo if that function has been added-I’m not sure). Make sure you connect your TR account with your device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My blog and Instagram

Last edited by m_moses; 12-27-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:13 PM

I’ve been using TrainerRoad since 1st week in Nov. I find it more difficult to follow the plan to the T outdoors for reasons others have sited, terrain variations, traffic, stops etc. That being said, finding roads with a consistent gradient, minimal traffic and no stop signs or lights helps. Near me is a nice long rail trail. I was using it for my outdoors workouts until the snow came. I still use it but now for skate skiing .