Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Everything is connected

Red Flannel Metric Century...tells you a few things. One...it’s most likely a colder time of year...think Belgian hardman/woman. Two...you’ll not have to ride 100 miles in the cold, but you will have a Century of some sort under your belt. Three...there is homemade food and drink at all of the stops and you are supporting a club with your ride fee. Four...you go home with a pair of red (flannel look) argyle socks with the ride logo. Good luck BBDave!

Last edited by rwsaunders; 12-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:45 AM

All the "Bee" themed branding suggestions might be amusing to humor-challenged folks on this forum but has nothing to do with that club's event. So keep those ideas coming.

I would suggest if you want casual riders, make the shorter routes COMPLETELY separate from the longer routes. I have been on many century rides where fast groups of century riders are blasting past slower riders, often riding individually, who are doing doing shorter distance rides. I can't imagine that a casual rider is comfortable when a fast paceline comes whizzing by, maybe getting shouted at "on your left" etc. Don't want a casual rider freaking out and swerving into the weeds, or just simply hating that experience.

Maybe have a theme for the ride - scenic spots, unique features of the area - think covered bridges on a VT ride.

Well marked route - constantly needing cue sheet to navigate, particularly if there are frequent turns, sucks.

Always nice to have a memento of the ride for your $, T-shirt, socks, pint glass, etc.

Good food at rest areas makes for happy riders.

Mechanical support at start is another nice thing to have.

I personally don't get the food truck thing, but some folks apparently dig it. I did one gravel race/ride with food trucks at the finish. Standing in a long line to buy food off a truck did not appeal - I didn't hang around after the ride, split and bought food on my way home. Only ride like that I can think of where I didn't hang for a least a little while after the ride. Pricey ride, long distance from home, limited nearby lodging options....so one tiny additional negative and I didn't go back. Moral of the story perhaps - one negative will turn some folks off to your ride, probably for good. Rides where I have had a lousy experience don't get me back, period. Not going to pay for a bad time.

Beer doesn't appeal to everyone, maybe it appeals to the older crowd that you are already getting?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Post Mod-ern

Thanks to everyone . . .

. . . who commented here. Sorry I haven't checked in for a few days! I'm trying to organize our first team meeting for next week and we'll get started trying to put together an irresistible bike bash brand.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats