Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-01-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Nice work; my favorite is the Serotta - I’m a sucker for steel and green!

I admire your ability to let a good bike go. That is a serious weakness of mine.
I really, really loved the paint on that Serotta too. If it was a 60L, I'd probably have kept it....or at least tried to find room to hang onto it a while longer. It was a ton of fun to ride and the closest I've come to having a bit more racy version of my Kirk MRB - to really get that though, I think it'll have to be another Kirk.....and I'm okay with that.. There is magic in a made-to-order steel fork that doesn't exist in an off-the-peg version - even a really good one, like what is on that CSI (though I think if I were heavier, they'd get closer to feeling the same).

As for letting them go, it is just a matter of knowing that they aren't ending up in some dust-bin, they're just going on to another person out there who is going to enjoy them. All of these were bought heavily discounted, and sold with a bit more depreciation taken by yours truly. It's pennies on the dollar for enjoying such fine craftsmanship....losing less than what some folks spend on a round of golf and drinks, and getting to enjoy a few hundred miles or more, see them up close, etc. That's a worthy investment in my book, and a fun way to enjoy the hobby.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Enjoyed the read, Dan. It seems that as the years pass you have a clearer idea of what you like and what works. I hope this doesn’t mean that next years thread will be any less interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What next year lacks in volume, I'll try to make up for in more robust picture-taking and story-telling.

There are a half-dozen of more bikes I'd love to have, styles to try, etc. - but when it comes to fleshing out the core stable, I am really close to landing on exactly what works for me (as stated above in my response to hilltopperny).
Old 01-01-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgul Bismark View Post
I really enjoy reading this post and the ones in years past. The shear variety and quality of the builds alone is impressive.

Also, I'll agree with those that are glad we're not your size. I'd have a hard time passing some of these up when/if they came to market. Thank goodness I'm 52.
Thanks for that - and thank your for passing forward some of the parts that made these builds special..
Old 01-01-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
Love your selection! Such great bikes.

For 2020 we will get some rides in.
Absolutely. I'm already registered for the Gorge Grinder, and Day 3 of the Cascade (need some redemption there) - but I'm sure there will be plenty of unsanctioned opportunities too..

I'll be over your way in a week and change - I doubt the weather will support a ride, but maybe some coffee if you have time.