Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Exactly.
Worse than an idiot. From cyclingweekly

Old 04-18-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
I’m saying he was an idiot who acted negligently, and to brush off the act as a whoopsy that people shouldn’t be upset about is dismissive of the severity of that act’s impact on the race and potentially the rider’s physical well-being
I'm saying he probably isn't an idiot and simply made a mistake. It happens millions of times a day. And yes, thankfully it wasn't worse.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:24 AM
ZhugeLiang

Charlie pal, I know where you are coming from and I am with you on this.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 AM

Then Charlie pal needs to learn to use his words better.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 AM

IF the moto started from behind the truck with view obscured:
1) Could the moto driver have turned parallel to the riders and started out on the left hand side of the road? Once he's a little bit away from the truck check the rear view, look over shoulder and then accelerate and take more of the road.
2) Maybe just use his feet to edge out from behind the truck slowly and then take off under power once he sees what is/is not coming his way. Might be difficult going uphill, I don't know - not a motorcycle rider.
3) Did the truck show up after the moto had stopped? I would think not. If it didn't, then that was a really bad place for the moto to stop in and then re-start.

Probably no way for us to know what was going through the moto driver's head at the time. Maybe he looked and just didn't see her (his fault but understandable), maybe he was in a hurry and didn't look (his fault and not understandable). If what happened was the former, I'm not sure what anyone could do. If it was the latter, definitely some type of sanction would be in order for the moto pilot. Calling the guy names might be a little much, but I sure wouldn't be "oh shucks" about it either. Seen both types of posts on this thread. It's a serious issue and needs to be treated as such, since this seems to be happening more frequently.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I'm saying he probably isn't an idiot and simply made a mistake. It happens millions of times a day. And yes, thankfully it wasn't worse.
I'm leaning a bit toward the idiot side here. I've been on the back end of mavic neutral motos as well as the driver of marshalling motos. #1 rule is "keep the riders safe" followed closely by #2 "don't interfere with said riders".

We are doing the job specifically so we DON'T make these kind of errors. The only time I've broken rule #2 is because it was required to satisfy rule #1...which, at least in the video, does not appear to be the case.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:38 PM

He thought he had time to stop and check Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/whatever and the pack caught him faster than expected so he was rushing to get back on the road.

Something stupid of that sort.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Classics Fan

In a complex system with many autonomous actors making decisions, there is virtually a guarantee that "something will happen." That is the world we live in.

I think Charliedd's post is being construed as simply acknowledging that fact and suggesting we move on. I don't know for sure, but I was a bit surprised by it also.

We have accidents (near accidents in this case) at the system level but then we also must look at the individual level to determine if that is an accident we can live with.

In this case, the moto driver surely broke several rules/laws, and thus we should not absolve him of anything. He should take responsibility for his actions and face whatever punishment gets meted out to him.

Whether or not he had malicious intent is not really relevant.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:22 PM

I don't know what on earth the solution is but in general these road races just seem broken.

Their dangerous. Motorcycles, cars, helicopters, fans buzzing around, unsafe road conditions, bad sprint finish setups at the end of race stages.

And they have a bad business model since the teams can't charge any ticket sales.

I don't know what the solution is... any major change would take away major things about the sport that we all love. But I am mostly thinking the sport needs a setup more like motorsports. You don't have camera cars & motorcycles out with the race cars/bikes causing accidents or affecting the race there. The finish lines can be designed to be safe. The fans can't interfere with the race and the fans are more protected in the case of an accident. (Though the accidents can have more severe consequences for the fans there) . If the bike race took place inside some place like a track a team could own a race venue and host a home race and get some revenue out of it... then they'd be less dependent on the whole sponsorship train.

Last edited by benb; 04-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
What was it? Are you implying that the driver of the moto was acting with intent? That's a hell of an accusation if so.
acting incompetently.

maybe this moto was the same guy that took out mini-phinney.

inexcusable.

Last edited by wallymann; 04-18-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:15 PM

Yah we could start by stopping repeating the whole thing about "motor vehicle accidents".

It's always called an accident and it never is. 99% of the time it's "collision caused by negligence".

I am sure someone has studied the history and their was a PR campaign by the auto companies to get everything turned into an "accident" so drivers didn't get in trouble using their products.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:00 PM

For some reason I can't view Twitter video on my Mac.

Can someone provide a link to the video that works with a desktop PC?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:47 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
For some reason I can't view Twitter video on my Mac.

Can someone provide a link to the video that works with a desktop PC?
You can try here but it is a Twitter video.....https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/6325/...race-motorbike
Old 04-19-2019, 12:07 AM
Member?

Race promoter seeking to increase viewers hires moto man to cause a near accident which makes the highlight reel. People from all walks of life are intrigued, tune into the next race to witness the bicycle/moto mear misses and ratings soar. Race promoter rubs hands together gleefully and places pinkie finger on lips a la Dr. Evil. "There are no accidents" - Master Oogway
Old 04-20-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Race promoter seeking to increase viewers hires moto man to cause a near accident which makes the highlight reel. People from all walks of life are intrigued, tune into the next race to witness the bicycle/moto mear misses and ratings soar. Race promoter rubs hands together gleefully and places pinkie finger on lips a la Dr. Evil. "There are no accidents" - Master Oogway
LOL seriously.