Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 PM

Sunglasses Hype

I have exclusively bought ****ty sunglasses my entire life as I’ve never been able to justify spending money on something I inevitably forget somewhere or drop while riding. But... I came across some crossrange glasses with the prizm road lenses online for cheap. And I gotta say, I am so impressed. I’ve always figured expensive sunglasses are a bunch of marketing BS but these are super comfortable and the lenses are crazy cool - not sure what the effect is exactly but things seem very contrasty and stuff “pops”. I guess I get it now. Went and got a second pair with the trail lenses for CX this year.

Not sure you could convince me to put on those crazy looking jawbone oakleys yet though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 PM

I remember the feeling when I put my first Oakleys on: exhilarating. I still think their prices are whack, though...
Old 04-16-2019, 11:25 PM

I'm not here to hype Oakley's, but their newish rose tints are the bomb.

Yours truly off the west coast of Molokai, with early 90's rose tinted Sunclouds.

Last edited by bluesea; 04-16-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:11 AM

Lol
Old 04-17-2019, 05:18 AM

I received a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses as a raffle prize at a conference, really great optics, actually improve my vision a bit (I'm 20/20 anyway, sharpens it up a bit) but yes, I'm afraid I'll drop/sit on/lose them. For on bike, I use Smith pivlocks, came with 3 lenses and don't have the cool factor of Oakley, but $60. They stay on my head.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:43 AM

The more expensive my sunglasses are, the better I keep track of them.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 AM

I was riding with my dad and he mentioned he was looking for something different (I think he had Tifosi) and I let him borrow my jawbreakers with prizm lenses for about thirty minutes. He was so impressed that he ordered a pair and his comment to me after riding them was, "wow, I can't believe how much clearer the road is."

I'm a big fan of Oakleys for optical clarity and function. They are pricey though.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 AM

I had almost the same experience, always used junk, then found some Smith Arenas online for cheap. What. A. Difference.

On a grey day I went back to my old glasses (because they have photochromatic lenses and my Smiths don't), I could barely wear them, I felt like I was looking through a fog. The Hype is real. I bought another pair of Smiths for off the bike (also on a steep discount). My wife was making fun of me for buying sunglasses that cost more than $20, she gave them a try and I didn't get them back for the rest of the day!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:31 AM

I've used pretty nice sunglasses over the years but recently went to Argentina fly fishing and was re-introduced to the importance of a good pair of shades for ID'ing trout in a river. My guide let me try some Costa del Sol's with their 580g glass lenses and damn they were so much better than the Zeal polarized amber lenses I was using. I also tried some Smith Chromapop polarized glasses and those were awesome too. Think I'm going to pick up a pair!
Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

About 10 years ago I bought a pair of Oakley's for a ski trip. We were standing at the bottom of the mountain waiting on some others and one of my friends game barreling down out of control. The end of his pole, yes the pointy end struck my glasses and pushed them off my face without breaking. The lens was barely scratched and it saved my eye.

Worth $120 at the time? Absolutely.

+1 for the Prizm lenses on the new models, so nice!
+1 for the Photochromic lens as well. I used in for CX last season and they were great in low light.

I currently ride in a pair of EVZero's, they are light on my face and frame-less so there isn't any annoying plastic to see around.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Classics Fan

The mark-up on sports sunglasses must be ridiculous. I can't imagine they cost more than $5-10 for materials and labor.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
The mark-up on sports sunglasses must be ridiculous. I can't imagine they cost more than $5-10 for materials and labor.
+ research, development, employees, advertising, sponsorship to athletes to wear the damn things.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:57 AM

+1 for prizm. colors pop. contrast increased. vision riding through dappled light through trees is improved.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:00 AM

I have multiple pairs of Oakleys that I paid damn near retail for sitting in my closet, while the pair that is currently getting used the most is set of Foakleys I bought on Paceline for $20............. and they're outstanding...........

go figure
Old 04-17-2019, 11:05 AM
That guy..

another vote for Oakley Prizm.
sometimes...you almost forget youre wearing them. thats how clear the lenses are. the larger frame of the jawbreakers and the newer flight jacket make it so you never really see the edges.

good quality stuff.

however.... ive slowly transitioned over to their photochromic stuff. as i use my glasses daily. which sees me riding in low light and rainy conditions. those lenses are just as clear and they do surprisingly well at blocking the sun when required.