Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris View Post
Joan Benoit Samuelson-- 40 years later her goal was to come within 40 minutes of her 1979 winning time. She beat it by 11 minutes !

3:04 at age 61. Imo in the top five of all time great female athletes, in any sport. Congrats Joan !
She has always been one of my heroes and I don't have sports heroes.

I remember watching her win the inaugural womens Olympic marathon like it was yesterday. When she went past the first water station while all the other front runners stopped I was on top of my couch screaming "Go Joanie!".

Truly amazing to be able to run within 30 minutes of a 40 year old record time.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I forgot to mention all that so thanks for filling in the details.

Collier’s brother worked in JJ’s engine program shop.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Great photos ! Wow 30,000 runners. The first year I ran Boston -1991- there were 12,000 and people were complaining about how crowded it was getting...lol.

I had a good race in '95. My best Boston time out of the three I ran. 3:18:41 at age 42.

I was glad I participated in the 100th in '96 but it was not fun with that many people. The course was so jammed up with the throngs, things didn't open up till around mile 12 I remember. I had a lousy race time wise, mainly because I could never get in a groove from the log jam. But again, honored to say I ran in the 100th.

I'd love to get back again but at age 65, I don't see a 4:05 qualifying time in my future. My last Marathon was LA in 2002 in 3:35 at 49.

Boston is by far the greatest and most inspirational distance running event in history. Congrats to all the finishers !
Old 04-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Great photos ! Wow 30,000 runners. The first year I ran Boston -1991- there were 12,000 and people were complaining about how crowded it was getting...lol.

I had a good race in '95. My best Boston time out of the three I ran. 3:18:41 at age 42.

I was glad I participated in the 100th in '96 but it was not fun with that many people. The course was so jammed up with the throngs, things didn't open up till around mile 12 I remember. I had a lousy race time wise, mainly because I could never get in a groove from the log jam. But again, honored to say I ran in the 100th.

I'd love to get back again but at age 65, I don't see a 4:05 qualifying time in my future. My last Marathon was LA in 2002 in 3:35 at 49.

Boston is by far the greatest and most inspirational distance running event in history. Congrats to all the finishers !
Oh... you had very respectable times. You should give it another go - If I am not mistaken, if you run for a charity they waive the qualifying time entry.

Log jam doesn't even begin to describe it.
I watched it on tv - the elite runners were at mile 17 when the average runner was approaching the starting line. I forget how far back the line went, but it was long.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:32 AM

Yet another Joan Benoit Samuelson story. According to this age graded table, she won the Boston Marathon ! And who is this Gene Dykes at age 71 with a 2:58 ?! Wow !
https://www.podiumrunner.com/joan-sa...arathon_177129

At 61 years old, she credits cross training for her strong performance today. “I think as people age, cross training can be a huge benefit,” she said. “I usually run faster in the spring, and I credit Nordic skiing—the upper-body work and strength that I get from that. (I’m not very efficient as a nordic skier so I have to work really hard.)”

“I have more kilometers on these legs this winter than I do miles, meaning I’ve done more cross-country skiing than actual running to save the pounding on the roads.”

https://www.womensrunning.com/2019/0...E6DAnRHlsENXEK

Moral of that story-- I really should be getting on my bikes- both Mtn. and road - much more often then I do.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
And who is this Gene Dykes at age 71 with a 2:58 ?! Wow !
Ok , here is the "Ultra -Geezer". Bala Cynwyd -- man I had to look that up...lol

https://www.philly.com/health/boston...-20190415.html

And more on Gene. This guy is beyond amazing ! He actually broke the great Ed Whitlock's Marathon record by 25 seconds for the 70-74 age group in 2:54:23, but it didn't stand because the Jacksonville Marathon course wasn't sanctioned. The New England Journal of Medicine as well as researchers from the University of Delaware and the Mayo Clinic are doing studies on this guy !

https://www.philly.com/health/gene-d...-20190412.html

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 04-19-2019 at 02:07 AM.