Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 PM

OT: The Perfect Day Pack

I am looking for the perfect day pack. I already have an expedition pack and a midsize pack (good for a couple of days). But you can never have too much gear, although my sons have already "liberated" both of those. Part of my parental plan.

Now I'm looking for a day pack. The primary uses will be for hiking -- from a short local 3 hour hike here in the Valley carrying water, camera, phone, to a full day mountain hike with extra water, hydration gear, food, camera, extra clothes and a little survival gear, plus, maybe a Glock.

I also want it to be suitable to use for travel, which means big enough for a standard lab top (9" wide). I don't need a lab top sleeve, because I have a zip foam case.

I don't want anything too big and somewhat narrow is probably better.

Finally, I want a very durable material.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

RFC
Old 02-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Administrator

i just recently picked up an REI trail 25 pack.

it is very very good for me.

have used it for 2-day air travel, no problem. most recently did half dome with it. perfect. well made, cheap, seems durable enough.

https://www.rei.com/product/136585/r...l-25-pack-mens
Old 02-17-2019, 08:17 PM

I've been using an Osprey Quantum for years in the way you describe. Really well built, great company - don't know what their current model that is similar would be. It's rated at 34 liters, but not bulky.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:22 PM
Classics Fan

This is a rabbit hole. Which is good or bad, depending on whether you like rabbit holes.

Reddit backpacks has some good discussion.

I have been trying to find a good commuter backpack and peak designs makes one that is pricey but can be configured for photography.

Try googling: edc backpack

Mystery ranch makes some interesting packs, I think they make them in the USA.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:23 PM

That REI line looks good. I was also looking at the LLBean packs:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/112875?feat=pprv&csp=a

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/7646...0=Dark%20Olive
Old 02-17-2019, 08:25 PM

I’m sure nobody will agree with me but imo the ortleib messenger backpacks are very versatile and up to any task.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Osprey Stratos 26. The frame is curved away from your back with a mesh stretched between the top and bottom, leaving an air gap between your back and the pack. It is really nice for hot weather or working hard aerobically. In fact there is enough room between the pack and mesh that you can put a three liter hydration bladder there instead of or in addition to inside the pack.

Usual Osprey quality, which is always excellent.

Downsides are the top lid is not floating. Although that is typical for a small pack. I don't care much for the ice axe loop and hideable attachment.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I've been using an Osprey Quantum for years in the way you describe. Really well built, great company - don't know what their current model that is similar would be. It's rated at 34 liters, but not bulky.
I will second this. Loved mine. My wife stole it after the birth of our second to use as a diaper bag, then it became our general kid travel bag.

The Osprey Flapjack I replaced it with is better as a commuter and travel bag, but I like it less for hiking.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Oveja Negra makes an awesome day pack called the Portero. It is a roll top bag and the quality is incredible. One of the best IMO. And made in the USA.

I once was a forest ranger for two seasons where we would hike into wilderness areas and basecamp for several days using day packs. The Portero would of been my go to if it existed. Back in the day, the mountain smith lumbar pack was my choice. I could fit rain gear, 32oz Nalgene bottle, first aid, walkie talkie and lunch in it. I am not sure if the quality has dropped but I would check that out too.

https://www.ovejanegrabikepacking.co...=6142894768155

https://mountainsmith.com/day.html
Old 02-17-2019, 08:42 PM

It's a good rabbit hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
This is a rabbit hole. Which is good or bad, depending on whether you like rabbit holes.

Reddit backpacks has some good discussion.

I have been trying to find a good commuter backpack and peak designs makes one that is pricey but can be configured for photography.

Try googling: edc backpack

Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 PM

I haven’t got anything from them yet. But they’re local and on my radar for very soon.
Hill People Gear.
https://hillpeoplegear.com
Old 02-17-2019, 08:54 PM
il Curmudgeoni

It is hard to beat an Osprey...good quality and good value.

This looks interesting though - https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/fastpack/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Some models are US made but not all. From their FAQ:
Quote:
How do I know if the pack I want is made in the US, PH, or VN?

If a product is produced in the U.S.A., it will be denoted on the product page on our website with a "US" icon below the product specs. You are always welcome to call us and ask if you don't see the "US" icon that denotes U.S.A. production.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
That REI line looks good.
yea, as mentioned, it can be a rabbit hole.

at some point you need to just go with what looks good and pull the trigger i guess. the benefit of the REI packs is going to look at them and try them on at the store.

i honestly feel REI house brand products are well thought out, well made and price effective. i think they do a good job of designing stuff that works good for the common person. hard to go wrong, maybe not perfect, but never bad.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:10 PM

We're in n+1 territory now.

Read www.carryology.com and EDCForum for more than you probably ever wanted to know. Oh, and add Wirecutter for some purely mainstream points of view.

My favorite in small to medium packs these days is HillPeopleGear. You'll never find it at REI or Dick's, but it's superb and the service is absolutely first rate. They have possibly the best shoulder harness in the industry. I have their Backcountry (my top choice) and also their Tarahumara and their butt pack (which with one of their Prairie belts is a superb daily hiking tool).

Arcteryx packs are also superb, especially in heavy-load packs where the hip belt comes into play. Mystery Ranch packs are excellent, even at the lightweight end for daily hiking or street use. If you like MR I'd also suggest Eberlestock.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:21 PM

There is NO perfect daypack... or any other type of bag for that matter!!! Turn back now before it's too late!