Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2024, 12:20 PM
Princess Sweat

OT: Professional Resume Review + Editing

Heyo,

I'm working on a career pivot and am considering paying for a service to review + edit my resume.

What I need: A service that helps me optimize my resume for ATS and fine tune the way things are written to put my best foot forward.

What I don't need: A service that just looks for typos + grammar (my wife is an ex newspaper/magazine editor)

Has anyone used a service like this? Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old 03-25-2024, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Probably helps to mention what industry you are trying to enter. I can't imagine that any one service would know the buzz words necessary to be an electrical engineer and sommelier or broadway stage manager.

That said, if it's a competitive field, find a way to network and a side door entry. Not too many people get hired for the great jobs based on a resume submittal alone.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:02 PM

I did this work 20 years

I suggest you find a certified career coach or counselor and not just someone who does resumes. A pro will coach the right stuff out of you and "make" you take a stab at writing the important content yourself. Then fine tune it with your help and edit and language to professional in a way that represents YOU! I just googled this search string: right management outplacement resume linkedin

I worked for Right Management Consultants for a lot of years. If you go to linkedin and search Right Management/resume you will probably find many of my fine colleagues.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:15 PM

Make it accomplishment-oriented first, chronological (or otherwise) second.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:03 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I’ve been using Google Gemini for a lot of the keyword optimization stuff. However, I did work with a professional and found little value but that was me.

I’ve been unemployed for 6 months now (anyone need a product manager and/or UX researcher?) and it’s easy to get hung up on perfecting the resume. A resume that is 100% perfect isn’t going to get you a job and a resume that’s 70% perfect isn’t going to lose you a job. It’s about using your network.