Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2024, 05:13 PM

Rides near Lakeville, CT

I'm going to be in Lakeville CT for 3 days of work Oct 14-16 and I'm looking for rides to do the weekend before. I have found these two on RWGPS, one is all paved and one is half dirt. I'll bring the Bingham with 38 GK slicks for either type of ride. Each of these two is 50-55 miles, which is in the ballpark for what I'm looking for.

I'm open to suggestions, and also if others might want to join me on a ride. (I've messaged Slowpokepete as these are in his backyard).

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40634496
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42248390
Old 09-28-2024, 05:32 PM

Spectacular road and a smidgen of gravel in that area. It was my training area when I used to race and I think I’ve ridden most roads in the area. Happy to help with routes.. I can put some together in rwgps and pm you.
Old 09-28-2024, 07:55 PM

Riga for sure. Some of the best gravel riding around.
Old 09-28-2024, 08:42 PM

Any route that includes White Hollow, Dark Hollow (dirt), Salmon Kill, Old Asylum (dirt), Race Track (partly dirt), Mt Riga, and Belgo Rds will not disappoint. Under Mountain Rd (Rt 41) and Rt 44 can be busy, especially afternoons (and weekends, though you won’t be there then). But all the roads east of there heading up into Sheffield, Mass — basically everything between Rts 41 and 7, especially south of Berkshire School Rd — are great, especially if you like dirt.

If you can get down toward Sharon, or across the NY line to Millerton and Amenia, there’s even more excellent riding. Jug End, Bash Bish, and Sunset Rock are also well worth looking into.
Old 09-28-2024, 11:57 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ413 View Post
Salmon Kill
I was in the area earlier this year (on 4 wheels, not 2) and as we drove down Salmon Kill Rd. I told my sister "THIS is a perfect road for cycling..."

There was also a beautiful house for sale there, but as you might guess from the image below, because I've spent all my money hoarding Shimano 9sp DT shifters, it's just a tad outside my price range. However, if you want to make an offer, it appears to still be on the market.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...57818480_zpid/

Old 09-29-2024, 07:10 AM

I would do the first one. Much more scenic with less traffic! Gravel along the Housatonic river is normally in good shape! Then there is the portion between the 2 lake also.
The starting point has good parking near the covered bridge . It's right near the river so you could take a dip if you are so inclined .Not sure of the water temp though. Check out the Ridgefield Bicycle Company website , you might be able to find some club members to join you if you are looking for company.

Last edited by kmla320; 09-29-2024 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-29-2024, 07:15 AM
Registered (ab)User

[disregard]

Last edited by Bob Ross; 09-29-2024 at 07:16 AM. Reason: apparently Paceline can't upload Word docs?!?!
Old 09-29-2024, 06:26 PM

Great area to ride

I basically did the 2nd one two summers ago when dropping off and picking up my daughter from a camp at the Hotchkiss School. Beautiful area. I actually went further south to Sharon and back up through to Millerton, NY. Roads were good and not too busy.

Since I'm out here in OR I rented an Aethos for the two days in Great Barrington from "Berkshire bike and board". Seemed like the nearest "full service shop" ( a few locations actually) in the area.

Enjoy the foliage in the Berkshires - shouldn't be past peak in two weeks.
Old 09-30-2024, 05:49 PM

They have the Alice’s Restaurant ride as well, 62 miles starting in Sharon as I recall . Beautiful ride
Old 09-30-2024, 06:58 PM

Lime Rock Park is a lot of fun, but there's only a bit of gravel in the upper parking lot and some of the road traffic goes pretty fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lime Rock Pit Lane copy.jpg (67.3 KB, 35 views)
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat