Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2024, 11:19 AM

Montana rides double header -

I just posted this in the rides and events section of the forum but thought I'd double it up with a post here as it seems many don't notice new posts in the rides section. If this double post is out of line please delete this one.

By far my two favorite organized summer rides just happen to fall on adjacent weekends for the first time this year…and this makes me think that there might be some people who would enjoy traveling to Montana to do both rides and some sight seeing in between.

The first ride is the Morganzo 55 and it is a gravel road ride that takes place north of Bozeman, MT. This event will be held on Saturday, September 7th. The roads and views and wildlife are as good as it gets. The ride is constantly rolling without any major prolonged steep climbs and the surface is a mix of small gravel, chunky gravel, and smoothish dirt. There is only about 2 miles of paved road. I use a 38 mm tire and it seems to be an ideal size for the mix of surfaces and speed/compliance. The ride is 55 miles long and there is near zero support and you are a long-assed way from a quickie mart so you need to have all the food and water you will need for the ride. There is one water stop about 40 miles in and that is it. This is a very open ride and everyone is welcome but locals seem to be the only people that know about it. Last year there were about 40 riders. The weather in early September is ideal for riding with cool mornings and warm afternoons and it rarely rains. Last year I started the ride with arm warmers and a wind vest and removed them about 1/2 way through.

Riding in this area is like taking a step back in time. The views are for the most part unchanged from 100+ years ago. There’s a lot of wildlife. Last year I saw a badger, muledeer, elk, black bear (no grizzlies in this area), and a rattlesnake. The ride takes you to the ghost town of Maudlow, MT which is epic. We ride past ranches that were abandoned 100 years ago but still stand. It’s awesome. The ride is just north of Bozeman and Bozeman has the biggest airport in the state so getting here is very easy. Bozeman is just north of Yellowstone park and September is a great time to see the park as it’s past peak season. Here’s a link -

https://www.morganzo55.com/

The following weekend (September 14-15) is the Cino Heroica in Kalispell, Montana. Kalispell is a 5 1/2 beautiful drive north of Bozeman and it very close to Glacier National Park. The Cino is a much better known event that draws riders from all over the country. It’s a two day vintage bike ride that totals about 110 miles. There is only about 12 miles of pavement and the rest is dirt/gravel. I ride my vintage bike at this event and I can fit a 32 mm tire and that works well. If my bike could fit a larger tire I’d use it but the 32’s work well for me.

The first day of the Cino starts with a very long and gradual climb and ends at a stunning lunch spot at a waterfall. They serve real gourmet food and it’s to die for. The ride after lunch is largely downhill or flat and it winds up at the Alamedas Hot Springs where we spend the night. One can camp on the grounds for cheap or you can get a room for not much. The rooms are not fancy but they are clean and nice and suit the vintage nature of the ride. Dinner is served at the Hot Springs and people dress up in fine clothing and eat awesome food. The quality and quantity of the food can’t be overstated.

Day two starts at the Hot Springs and starts with a climb (nice to get you warm as it’s always cool in the morning) and you ride until you get to the lunch stop where more top-shelf food is served. That is followed by Nine Mile Hill which is what it says it is…a 9 mile climb that gains a lot of vertical. At the top of that climb there’s a water stop where there is also beer and martinis for those so inclined. Then it’s downhill to the finish. It’s an epic ride with views one will only find in Northern Montana. It’s simply stunning and the ride organization is very good.

One does not need to ride a vintage bike although most people do. If you ride a new bike you’ll get some polite teasing and a bit of jealousy from people with vintage gearing. Here’s a link to the Cino -

https://www.cinorider.com/

If one has the time it would be a great way to see a lot of Montana and do some epic rides. In between everyone is of course welcome to visit the Kirk Frameworks, World HQ in Bozeman and we can talk bikes and go for easy rides to recover from the Morganzo and get ready for the Cino Heroica.

Something to think about.

dave
Old 01-18-2024, 11:31 AM

We live in Worland, WY, in the summer, May into August. I'm afraid we're gone by September due to our part-time jobs teaching school. I'm bringing my gravel bike (Coconino) this summer with 40s, so maybe I'll do the route solo in July.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

Dave pal, thank you for the invite and for providing such detailed information, I am gonna try and talk my wife into doing an extended road trip from Texas and going to both events and riding on our road/gravel tandem bike.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:04 PM

Clothing for Cino

What's the range of weather conditions to be expected, so i know what I should be packing for bike clothing? Cool enough that I'll want a beanie? More than a rain jacket over a long sleeve jersey? Tights?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2024, 08:39 PM

It’s killing me to miss Cino this year! Lots of folks I’d love to see will be there. I like the idea of a week in Montana bookended by cool rides. I’ll keep an eye out next year and would make a trip from the east coast more doable.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:13 PM

We're moving to Wyoming in late spring 2025. I look forward to these rides.

I am also making another run at the Mickelson Trail in SD next summer.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
What's the range of weather conditions to be expected, so i know what I should be packing for bike clothing? Cool enough that I'll want a beanie? More than a rain jacket over a long sleeve jersey? Tights?

Thanks!
From my experience the weather is generally clear and dry this time of year. That said it's shoulder season and it could be hot or snowing.

Both mornings start pretty early and it's been cool the times I've done it. Having arm/leg warmers and a vest might be called for. On day two the Hot Springs is down in a valley and it can be cold because they sun doesn't shine there until later in the morning. But you do start the ride with a climb right out of town and ride up into the sun and then it's much warmer.

One good thing is that weather forecasts for this part of the world are generally pretty accurate even 10 days out. So you can probably check out the forecast and pick the right stuff to bring right before you travel.

I doubt that helps much but it's all I've got!

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2024-09-01 at 9.52.32 PM.png (27.8 KB, 233 views)
Old 09-01-2024, 11:29 PM
Byron

Thanks David for the local report.
I'm riding a single speed, 56 gear inches.
I'm a bit worried about the weather and my aging body, but I'm signed up.
That moon dust last year was the first time I hit the deck in 4-5 treks.
I went down 3 times in 10 minutes.
2 were soft dust landings, but 3 was on rock with blood and pain.
I took the sag offer without a regret.
I may be the last in this time around, but I'm fine with that.
It's a great ride with great riders and support.
I would love to do the ride in your hood, perhaps next year.
By
Old 09-02-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
From my experience the weather is generally clear and dry this time of year. That said it's shoulder season and it could be hot or snowing.

Both mornings start pretty early and it's been cool the times I've done it. Having arm/leg warmers and a vest might be called for. On day two the Hot Springs is down in a valley and it can be cold because they sun doesn't shine there until later in the morning. But you do start the ride with a climb right out of town and ride up into the sun and then it's much warmer.

One good thing is that weather forecasts for this part of the world are generally pretty accurate even 10 days out. So you can probably check out the forecast and pick the right stuff to bring right before you travel.

I doubt that helps much but it's all I've got!

dave
Super helpful, thanks!
My regret is that my Bob Jackson doesn't fit my bike travel bag so it's staying home! Mark Davision has generously built up a 70s Austro-Daimler for me, which I haven't yet seen
Old 09-03-2024, 08:40 PM

So who is going to Cino?
Old 09-04-2024, 10:57 AM

I'll be there and my good friend, and fellow framebuilder, Dave Wages of Ellis Cycles will be joining me for his first Cino.

See you there.

dave
Old 09-04-2024, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
I'll be there and my good friend, and fellow framebuilder, Dave Wages of Ellis Cycles will be joining me for his first Cino.

See you there.

dave
Too bad Dave Anderson won't make it a hat trick of Hall of Fame builders named Dave
Old 09-04-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Too bad Dave Anderson won't make it a hat trick of Hall of Fame builders named Dave
He's a good man. It would be fun to see him again as it's been too long.

dave
Old 09-04-2024, 01:51 PM
#RYFB

Doing both sounds like a lot of fun, unfortunately travel's not in the cards for me right now.

I'm curious -- since you say people dress up for dinner the first night of Cino, are they carrying their duds on the bike or is there some SAG wagon that schleps your luggage for you?

Hope you all have a great time, doing one or both.
Old 09-04-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Doing both sounds like a lot of fun, unfortunately travel's not in the cards for me right now.

I'm curious -- since you say people dress up for dinner the first night of Cino, are they carrying their duds on the bike or is there some SAG wagon that schleps your luggage for you?

Hope you all have a great time, doing one or both.
They say there's a SAG, otherwise I will need to tow my wheelie luggage behind me